how to stop binge eating ???

Options

Replies

• pittielover23
    Options
    Don't buy it. If it's not in the house, you won't eat it.

Or give you're self one day to cheat (guilt free) and eat your comfort food. If you're thinking long-term, a day of "cheating" once a week won't make a huge difference.
    T his is it exactly.

I think it goes beyond self-control for many people, including myself. Peanut butter is a HUGE trigger for me, so I try to keep it out of the house completely.
  • sheilaallenberg
    Options
    I have the same problem and found reading daily affirmations a key tool in reprogramming bad habits! Example: I will not over eat, I will not eat junk, I will eat 5 healthy meals a day, I will not eat after 7:00, I will drink 8 glass of water a day. Apply your personal goals and read them several time a day! You can download a free affirmation AP for convenience or just write them down on index cards! It really works!!!!!!!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    This works for me Fullbar and the 8oz water, that put a stop. I could just has well polish off a tub of ice cream
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would say, first thing is to not let yourself get really hungry or really tired. Those are the times that I am really likely to eat badly. Since I started eating smaller, more frequent meals I have had far fewer cravings for fatty, salty or sugary food.

Second thing is, get the sweets out of your house. Are you going to drive to McDonalds 5 times to get your fill of cookies? Probably not lol! This is a great time of year to redirect your sweet tooth..stock up on fruit. I have a rule, I can eat as many grapes or blueberries or pieces of melon as I want and I don't ever have to feel guilty about it.

Third thing is, train yourself to think long-term. It's about giving up what you want right now in favor of what you REALLY want. Practice visualizing how your body will look and feel and put that picture in your mind when you're faced with temptation, so that you can more easily see the *choice* you're making at the time.
  • kerridiculous
    kerridiculous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lol actually this site helped me a lot... because if i think about eating the entire world (which is something i want to do a lot) i start thinking about having to put it into my food diary. and then having to see that i went over my calorie goal by like however many, and knowing it's not worth it.

if you wanna eat something bad you can sam, it's not a big deal. just dont go crazy, and enter it into your food diary. work around it. if you want a piece of cake don't be like "no i can't have that i'm on a diet." because then you will just want it even more and obsess over it (like i do. lol.) just eat it and then put it in and continue on with your calorie goal.
  • sam1320
    sam1320 Posts: 24
    Options
    thanks everyoneeeeeee :)
  • otranquility
    Options
    Making my food diary public helped me to think twice about stuffing food in my face that I don't want anyone to know about. Just gotta stick to the food diary and it works. Easier said than done, I know, but "what we eat in private, we wear in public."

This is exactly what I have done. I actually binged and put my privacy levels up because I was so embarrassed but I realized that I should be accountable. It helps me stay on track. I think to myself "Hmm.. if I eat this chili cheese burrito, I have to log it in. If I log it in, I can't really complain about not loosing weight because I binged"
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When do you binge? Is it a specific time of the day or when something happens or when something yummy is put in front of you? Or is your binging totally random and unpredictable?

For me, I'm a late night snacker. It's because I'm bored. I'm all go go go go go during the day and don't know what to do with myself when I sit down at night and watch tv. Many people have told me to exercise at night. I've tried and it just feels weird, plus, I'm usually exhausted! Instead, I've starting reading books when I'm watching tv. It distracts me more. Since I'm doing the couch 2 5K program, I'm reading a book about running.

When I am stressed and "need" chocolate or that yummy anything from a fast food place, I make sure to look up the food's info on MFP first. Yes, it may seem like a lot of work, but when you see the nutritional info, it might make you reconsider that food - or determine how much of it you can safely have. The way I see it - I worked so hard to burn those calories, I want to see how quickly (or how much food) it will take to blow it. That has really helped me.
  • lrk93101
    lrk93101 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this my whole life, and I recently learned that I may be insulin resistant, which means that when I eat sugar (or any carbohydrate, really), my insulin level gets really high, which eventually drops my blood sugar level sharply. This creates that "craving" feeling. I started New Atkins for a New You, which I know people have opinions about, but I can now have sweets in the house and not eat them, or even think about them. I did not think that this was possible for me, but I think my blood sugar and insulin levels have evened out, and I feel so much better! Good luck to you.
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This has been a problem for me since I was 9. They only way to get a grip on it is to make sure I do not have those sorts of foods in my house. It does not stop a binge, but at least when I do binge, I am eating better foods.

Also, find out what the underlying meaning is. Personally mine is anxiety, depression, PTSD and getting help with those helped the binge eating a great deal.

Usually binge eating is in combination with a mental health situation, others might just tell you to stop overeating. I can tell everyone it is a real problem.

I have found another thing that helps is to take the dogs for a walk when I feel a binge coming on or find something that keeps my hands busy. I am a writer, so I do a lot of that. Pays the bills a lot quicker!
    I, like you, have binge-eating-disorder. It is not a matter of willpower for me any more than not drinking is a matter of willpower for an alcoholic. I am sure there will be those who disagree with me there. But, the fact remain that it is just not as simple as having the willpower to stop for some of us.
    What helps me is trying to apply the 12 steps of AA to my B-E-D. When I start binging and feeling out of control I know that there is something in my life that I need to pay attention to. My binges usually coincide with times I am feeling lonely or afraid.
    One thing that helps me a lot, also, is exercise. I know there are countless articles about the effects of regular exercise on mental health issues like depression. It is certainly true in my case. Endorphins, maybe. But it is much easier for me to control the B-E-D when I am regularly exercising.
  • shonniegrl
    shonniegrl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist swears that if you drink green tea when you have a sweet craving, within 5 minutes your craving will go away. I think I should actually try this myself because I have the same exact problem!!!
  • daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist swears that if you drink green tea when you have a sweet craving, within 5 minutes your craving will go away. I think I should actually try this myself because I have the same exact problem!!!

well, that's certainly worth a try : )
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Don't keep binge food on hand. You can't eat it if its not there...

And fill up on the good stuff. You'll be less likely to binge if your already full
  • pittielover23
    Options
    This has been a problem for me since I was 9. They only way to get a grip on it is to make sure I do not have those sorts of foods in my house. It does not stop a binge, but at least when I do binge, I am eating better foods.

Also, find out what the underlying meaning is. Personally mine is anxiety, depression, PTSD and getting help with those helped the binge eating a great deal.

Usually binge eating is in combination with a mental health situation, others might just tell you to stop overeating. I can tell everyone it is a real problem.

I have found another thing that helps is to take the dogs for a walk when I feel a binge coming on or find something that keeps my hands busy. I am a writer, so I do a lot of that. Pays the bills a lot quicker!
    I, like you, have binge-eating-disorder. It is not a matter of willpower for me any more than not drinking is a matter of willpower for an alcoholic. I am sure there will be those who disagree with me there. But, the fact remain that it is just not as simple as having the willpower to stop for some of us.
    What helps me is trying to apply the 12 steps of AA to my B-E-D. When I start binging and feeling out of control I know that there is something in my life that I need to pay attention to. My binges usually coincide with times I am feeling lonely or afraid.
    One thing that helps me a lot, also, is exercise. I know there are countless articles about the effects of regular exercise on mental health issues like depression. It is certainly true in my case. Endorphins, maybe. But it is much easier for me to control the B-E-D when I am regularly exercising.
    Jumping on this boat with both of you guys. This is why I had to point out that it is not a self-control thing for many people.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I eat large amounts of carbs, I will crave things a few hours later. I only have carbs with my evening meal now, and only a small amount.

Good luck! :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    i have what my roommate and i call the 'poverty line' solution. we were living pay check to paycheck and planned meals, including how long the leftovers would last. we didn't buy processed foods and we cooked everything ourselves. if we would binge...we were SOL when it came to food until the next time we could buy groceries. i think we binged once.

my other suggestion is that you get tested for wheat/flour allergies. before i cut gluten from my diet i could eat boxes of pasta, and bags of ravioli and still be hungry because my body couldn't digest/process/break down the gluten so it wasn't absorbing the nutrients. Once I cut out gluten I had a much easier time controlling my binge eating. Except when it comes to apples and spinach. I'll eat them by the bag.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this my whole life, and I recently learned that I may be insulin resistant, which means that when I eat sugar (or any carbohydrate, really), my insulin level gets really high, which eventually drops my blood sugar level sharply. This creates that "craving" feeling. I started New Atkins for a New You, which I know people have opinions about, but I can now have sweets in the house and not eat them, or even think about them. I did not think that this was possible for me, but I think my blood sugar and insulin levels have evened out, and I feel so much better! Good luck to you.

This. I think a lot of people should look at this if they suffer binge eating. Not to say you can never have sugar or carbs but I recommend The Carbohydrate Addicts diet to people like you. I cannot eat sugary carbs. I can eat carbs. I can eat sugar. I cannot eat them together and I have to have protein with everything I eat to help balance it out. When I have protein at every single meal and snack I am full, calm emotionally and never experience that gnawing urge to binge eat. Without the protein it is nearly impossible to keep my diet in check.
  • ElaKuz
    ElaKuz Posts: 49
    Options
    I have been struggling with this my entire life... including 15 years as a bulimic...
    I know that ending binges IS possible because there was a time when I thought not throwing up after my ridiculous binges wasn't, and it was...
    It wasn't easy, but it was possible...
    The key is finding something that you love more than what ever you hate that leads you to binge because lets face it, losing yourself in food is just that, loosing yourself because you don't like what you have in front of you.
    Over the years I have learned that there are some foods that will never be safe foods for me to eat in small quantities, so either I plan a large meal with them (I refuse to call it a binge because that implies a lack of control) or I fight to avoid them.
    Another thing that I found helps is forgiving yourself for all the times who were unable to control your eating and recognizing the value of the lesson learned by a) acknowledging the binge was wrong and b) getting back up and having another kick at the can.
    There is nothing easy in winning this particular war, but then, by definition wars rarely are, so ask yourself, are you worth the fight?
    If the answer is yes remind yourself of that each* time you go to battle.
    Good Luck, you can TOTALLY do this!

-Ella

*Funny, when I reread to check for erros I had originally written eat instead of each... pretty telling typo, don't you think?
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It wasn't easy, but it was possible...
    The key is finding something that you love more than what ever you hate that leads you to binge because lets face it, losing yourself in food is just that, loosing yourself because you don't like what you have in front of you.
    Thank you for sharing this. It is very wise and I will be trying to incorporate your advice into my recovery.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I just ate an entire pint of Froyo Half Baked (Ben and Jerrys) which is 800 calories. Hell yeah.

It's pretty simple really. Save yourself some calories for later in the day after a good hard exercise session (especially outdoors) and then chow down on your favorite ice cream or comfort food. Eat the whole tub of whatever you want and you'll still have calories left over as long as you adjust earlier in the day to leave some room.

Last summer I mountain biked every day in the sun. Every single day after mountain biking I would eat an entire pint of ice cream. I went through every Ben and Jerry's flavor. Cinnamon Bun is by far the best in case you're wondering. If you put the effort in, you can eat foods that you REALLY enjoy. Just plan around it if you think you're going to have one of those days.