Tips to increase self-confidence?

Options
jmgj27
jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
I'm still struggling to adjust to my new body and realise that having been obese all my life, I don't treat myself with the self-respect that I'm beginning to think I should- particularly when it comes to men. I'm still so surprised when someone chats me up that I'll find myself responding positively, regardless of whether I fancy them or not.
I'd really appreciate some tips on how to adjust my head space and move forward positively?

Replies

• Psialpha297
    Psialpha297 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wake up, get dressed, walk over to the mirror and check yourself out. Say to yourself that you look attractive and that you are amazing. Do this enough and you will believe it. My buddy told me he does that every morning. He is the most confident person i know, because he doesnt need any validation, other than his own. Try it =]
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    this sounds really dumb, but i used to write post it notes with encouraging words and put them on my mirror... (or wherever you get ready). it sounds stupid but it really helps!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I wish I knew an easy answer. I'm currently at my heaviest, which was your starting weight and hope to get down around your same goal weight! Try complimenting one thing about you to yourself every day, read some books, try therapy or use a support group. Most importantly, you need to find what works for you. Congrats on all the loss! I hope I can make it there sometime! :)
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It never hurts being gracious when complimented and there is nothing wrong with being chatty with someone even if you are not interested in taking it any further. its called being friendly! The more you chat, the more self-confidence you will gain. For now, enjoy the attention! You've earned it!!! :)
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I always assumed that no man wants a 225lb me and I was always pretty pleased when I got chatted up, no matter who did it. Now I find British guys to be really pushy and sometimes nasty if you say no. Plus I always assumed that I could never get the guys I actually fancied so just took what I could get for the most part. I can't seem to get the 'don't be such an arrogant cow' issue out of my head when I do think about going for someone I actually think is hot. Argh!
  • jmgj27
    Options
    this sounds really dumb, but i used to write post it notes with encouraging words and put them on my mirror... (or wherever you get ready). it sounds stupid but it really helps!

Thanks - I actually wrote 'love and respect yourself always' on my mirror this morning. It made me feel a little crazy but it also made me smile. I'll see how that works out for me. Maybe I should go with something more controversial like 'you're cute' - although I can see me prodding myself on a bad day and saying 'really? Hmmm...' :noway: