Anyone else here doing 24 hour Fasting 2x a week ?

Options
Hi, Im new to MFP and will be starting my first 24 hour fast tomorrow morning at 5 am. I work Overnights 11 pm to 7 am. I have 130 lbs to remove from me and have tried everything for the last 24 years to get my weight under control. When I started I needed to lose 50 lbs now its 130 lbs!!!!! I have done all the research and I figure why not? I am starting DDP yoga tonight as well . Walking 2 miles 5x a week for 2 years kept up my stamina but did nothing for weight loss. So, here I am. I will be journaling daily and reading posts. Wishing everyone here a successful Journey.

Replies

• KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best. I am doing intermittent fasting. I don't eat breakfast or lunch, except on the very occasional day. I eat all my calorie allowance between 1700 + 2000 hours. I find that this works for me but, obviously, everyone is different. My only exercise is a daily walk, usually 1 - 11\2 miles. 30 to 40 minutes. I have lost 32 lbs since June 2014. Good luck, you can do it!
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    1ProudHappyWife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been doing intermittent fasting for about 8 months now. Im not doing that with exercise. I wish you all the best! I don't know that I could do 24 hours, haha. I usually do 17:7. My husband does 18:6.
  • eternaloptimistforever748
    Options
    Sorry, but is fasting really the healthiest way to go? Is that no food at all, or do you drink thinks like sweetened tea or lemon water to mitigate during your fasting period?

I also have to wonder about the effectiveness of eating all one's calorie intake in one meal. Just a personal feeling, but that seems almost akin to overeating. There's a reason we eat several meals over the course of the day, to allow the body the chance to process and move on.
  • ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have two days a week where I have 500 calories a day which I tend to eat most of in the evening - I guess that is 24 hour fasting if you count from dinner the previous day (although I do have the odd tea/coffee to keep me going through uni stuff). I've found it works really well! Exercise is great but will only work for weight loss if the calories are in balance :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but is fasting really the healthiest way to go? Is that no food at all, or do you drink thinks like sweetened tea or lemon water to mitigate during your fasting period?

I also have to wonder about the effectiveness of eating all one's calorie intake in one meal. Just a personal feeling, but that seems almost akin to overeating. There's a reason we eat several meals over the course of the day, to allow the body the chance to process and move on.

I respect that that's your "feeling" or opinion, but it's not based in fact. What matters is CICO. The distribution of calories across the day is actually completely immaterial and simply a question of personal choice.

• charleneIGrenier
    charleneIGrenier Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I drink water and Green Tea.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I do Intermittent Fasting, 5:2 schedule, which means on 2 days per week, I eat 500 calories, and close to maintenance the other 5. I tried a complete fast on my fast days, but it was just too hard.
  • MegaFionaFlowers
    Options
    I do a 24 hour fast once a week, and 18:6 for the rest of the week and it's surprisingly easier than it sounds! But i would suggest that you do not push yourself to do a workout if you don't feel you have enough energy, since you will already be running on empty.
  • Athena_fit
    Athena_fit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

I respect that that's your "feeling" or opinion, but it's not based in fact. What matters is CICO. The distribution of calories across the day is actually completely immaterial and simply a question of personal choice.

CICO might be what matters for weightloss ultimatly, but if you want to create a sustainable healthy lifestyle, that makes you feel good everyday, throughout the day, it's not.

Eating under your TDEE, balanced meal composed of whole fresh non-processed ingredients is what is most sustainable. Many studies show that fad diets only lead to yo-yoing with your weight.

If you already eat well and do exercise + can't figure out why you gained the weight, maybe you should go to a doctor before trying anything else.