Feel like I'm losing my nerve. I'm still logging, still exercising, but....

Options
2»

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    One pound - sheesh. That's one trip to the toilet, or 4 ounces of salty pumpkin seeds in the shell with water gain.

One pound is not meaningful.

It's really not about the pound. It's about the feelings of maintenance messing with you.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    kristib12 wrote: »
    I've come to really realize that I will always have to watch myself. I think if you ever have had weight to lose that there is always the possibility of old habits creeping in if you aren't on top of it, and that's when you can go in one direction or the other. You have to take the power back because whichever direction you go in is a choice.

This ^^^^ It's way too easy to slide into old habits. It can take only one cheat meal for me to slip back! A solid workout normally pops me back on track. But don't chase pounds around is my recommendation, it can be a bit obsessive. I allow a 4 pound range before panicking!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I looked at that pound - then two - over my weight range for six months before deciding it was real. Lowered my calories back down by 250 and hit those.

For me it was stress. And winter. But what's getting me back on it is realizing that I don't feel physically as well when I eat those things I was saying 'no' to. So that camembert tastes great, but that next day I can still taste it in my mouth - even after brushing my teeth. And I've have felt better without it.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I can identify. I'm about 4 lbs over my goal and it's coming off slowly. I'm living on this maintenance forum because I'm soooo ready to get there. I'm doing well except for loosening up a little too much on weekend nights. I get right back on track Monday-Friday, but it annoys me to fall off the wagon. I actually stress ate for the first time in almost a year on a week night last week after a super horrible week at work. I know how I gained the weight, and I'm never letting it get out of control again. A range sounds so safe. Losing a pound or two versus 75! Much better!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yes I gained about half my weight back. Yes I am back at it and remembering all the good habits I need to re-implement. How many of your good habits have you kept? I let all mine go unfortunately. Log your food for a couple "normal" days to see how much you are eating and that will tell you if you are heading backwards or if it is just a maintenance fluctuation.
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    kristib12 wrote: »
    I've come to really realize that I will always have to watch myself. I think if you ever have had weight to lose that there is always the possibility of old habits creeping in if you aren't on top of it, and that's when you can go in one direction or the other. You have to take the power back because whichever direction you go in is a choice.

This ^^^^ It's way too easy to slide into old habits. It can take only one cheat meal for me to slip back! A solid workout normally pops me back on track. But don't chase pounds around is my recommendation, it can be a bit obsessive. I allow a 4 pound range before panicking!

Yes that's a good rule :-) I found daily tracking my weight was helpful in seeing how my body reacts to certain foods, such as water retention, and once I am down to more my maintenance weight I will certainly weigh myself a lot less! I'm not quite ready to let go of the obsession yet..
    I'm with you regarding a good workout keeping you on track. It's 11:40pm and I just got back from a run because I put it off all day, haha. Then I just knew that I would feel like crap if I didn't put in my exercise so I did it. Problem now is it will take me ages to get to sleep.. ahwell, that'll teach me!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Do you have a weight range for maintenance? Most people recommend having a five pound range that you're ok with before you hit the panic button. If/when you reach that top weight, you start logging and eat at a deficit until you get back down. Until then, just keep plugging away. Some of the long-term maintainers say they naturally gain five pounds in the winter, but then come summer they just naturally lose it again without doing anything differently...they're just more active in the summer.

I don't know. I've been in maintenance for 18 months, but I didn't stop logging until the end of January. I'm almost a month into my not-logging and my trend is up a pound. I worry a bit, but I just keep reminding myself that I still have several pounds before I reach the top of my range and to just relax. Maybe the longer I'm doing this, the better I'll get at it. Also, I remind myself that if I can go 5 months before hitting my ceiling, I can take off the weight and then next time, maybe I'll make it 7 months, and then a year and so on... So, my advice, fwiw, is to just keep trying. There's no point in stressing over a pound, even if it's a real pound.

I really like this. Thanks for sharing it. OP, as a long time maintainer, I can identify with how you're feeling. I go through phases where I slack off on my normal practices/disciplines. Sometimes it feels good to take a break, even if it means tightening up afterward. Maintenance for some of us looks like continually re-gaining and re-losing the same 5 lb (or whatever your maintenance range is).
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I know that I can't NOT log, even now about a year into maintenance. I have to account for myself while at the same time not be such a hard a$s about it. I have to plan in advance if I know I am going out. I research the restaurant menu or if I go on a trip, I make a plan on how to handle meals and snacks. With planning, I can enjoy that piece of cheesecake I had from the Cheesecake Factory this past weekend as well as the pasta dish (which I immediately put half in a to-go container BEFORE I started eating to avoid eating too much). I did not say "NO" to myself, just followed my game plan. And guess what? With the exercise I did that morning in the gym, I maintained easily.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I have finally gained a pound. Yeah, I know, it's one freaking pound, who cares. I still have a normal BMI, I'm still fit as the proverbial fiddle, I work out every day and love it. But, I've been eating more. I've been saying "no" less often when tasty treats show up in the breakrooms. I've been baking more. I've even had a couple of late-night binge sessions on cookies.

So, there's the pound, and yes, it's not a fluctuation - it's based on my weekly averages and it seems to be bona-fide.

So, how do I regain my mojo here? I did a fabulous job of losing weight. I feel like the focus I had when I was losing is slipping away just a bit, perhaps a little at a time..... can anyone feel me?

DrE - sounds as if maybe you've stopped logging for a while? Would logging help you turn down those treats and regain focus? Yeah, it's a pain, but it helps me.