Breastfeeding mom

yegus1216
yegus1216 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I am breastfeeding my 3mths baby but in my road to slowly loose the baby weight. As many know my calories consumption has to be higher than regular but I am not sure how much and how to track it here. I am new here (installed for long never used) Is there any option in the app to check "breasfeeding" or how do I make sure to keep a good track of my diet. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/ Start with reading this. Remember that it took nine months to put on that baby weight. It can take that long to take it all back off. I'm not sure that you can check a box here for breastfeeding, but I know you can manually up your daily calories. With a 3 month old that is nursing on demand, I would increase it by 500 calories. If you don't see a slow change in your weight, then you can lower is a bit.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    yegus1216 wrote: »
    Hello! I am breastfeeding my 3mths baby but in my road to slowly loose the baby weight. As many know my calories consumption has to be higher than regular but I am not sure how much and how to track it here. I am new here (installed for long never used) Is there any option in the app to check "breasfeeding" or how do I make sure to keep a good track of my diet. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

If you want to lose weight, eat as you would to maintain the weight, pre-pregnancy. Do not starve but do not eat more than you normally would.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Find out your TDEE (http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) eat that or more. Mine is currently 1850, give or take, so I eat 1850 calories or a bit more, i am nursing my now 5 month old. I have lost 14 pounds since Christmas using this formula. Be sure to weigh and measure your food so you have an accurate calorie count, it's so easy to overeat. In December I was eating 2000+ calories and losing, now I have adjusted to 1850, and still losing without damaging my supply. Be sure to drink lots of water too.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    There are entries for breastfeeding moms on the MFP database
    Ex: breast feeding calories -500
  • LisaO_29
    LisaO_29 Posts: 3 Member
    I am also breastfeeding. I aim for around 1800. I am just wondering if I should be entering breastfeeding in my food or exercise journal? But then it would increase my calories limit?
  • jcgladstone007
    jcgladstone007 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi there, I have a 4 month old and am also trying to loose the baby weight. I do enter feeding and pumping as exercise. To do this I entered his average daily feed time along with the average calorie intake for a child his age for feeding (at present its roughly 400 an hour). For pumping it's 20 per oz, but the easiest way I found to enter this was as cardio and put done a mon for each oz. Hope this helps!
  • LisaO_29
    LisaO_29 Posts: 3 Member
    My son is 6 months old and he is a tank. He eats every 2 hours, sometimes less. I dont pump, so I dont have much Idea what he is consuming in each feeding. I assume probably about 3-4 oz. Thanks for the info. What do you put your calorie limit at?
  • jcgladstone007
    jcgladstone007 Posts: 4 Member
    I started with maintaining weight, but I recently switched to a deficit, only a mild one though as I don't want to risk my supply. So I went for the lowers option in the quick setup (-250 I think). Anyone else?
  • cheetara86
    cheetara86 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm still bf-ing my 5.5 month old and from when he was 6 weeks old I ate 1800-2000 kcals a day and also walked at least 10000 steps and I've lost just under 2.5 stone. I try to eat 'clean' food with chocs and puddings a few times a week. I've hit a plateau now as my sweet tooth is back in full force.
    Good luck with your little one x