Protein Consumption

Hello, I'm having a hard time getting enough protein in my diet. I am eating lower carb (80g or less per day) and then wanting to up my protein to be more than 100g/day but I can't seem to get it up enough. Suggestions?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    greek yogurt, nuts,seeds, lean meats,fish,peanut butter(or nut butters),and if you struggle with real foods you can get a protein powder and make a smoothie or add it in oatmeal or plain yogurt.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Keep protein to .7 grams per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, per day. No more.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't be afraid of fat. If you go low carb, you have to up your fat, and lots of protein foods are more delicious and easy to incorporate in your diet in their complete, full fat, form.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Don't be afraid of fat. If you go low carb, you have to up your fat, and lots of protein foods are more delicious and easy to incorporate in your diet in their complete, full fat, form.

This. Also add egg whites (or whole eggs), cottage cheese, veggie burgers (just make sure you check the sodium content), hard cheeses, etc in addition to what @CharlieBeansmomTracey listed.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Thank you all!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Don't get too upset if you can't reach that 100 grams a day in protein unless you lift, run, etc.
    The minimum for women recommendation is about 50 grams a day.
    http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410520,00.html
    This calculation is using ideal body weight. Not actual weight.
    I aim for 70. From research, this seems to be a good number for me.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Thats the thing, I do lift. I do tension bands for toning every day and I do some weight lifting as well. I am slowly learning how to add more protein. You all have been very helpful.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I get at least 130 per day. I don't even eat breakfast. I usually have protein at lunch, either a can of tuna, or a large serving of 0% fat greek yogurt (I'm talking 350g), a protein bar for a snack, at least 6oz of meat for dinner, and dessert is usually something with a decent amount of protein as well. I eat so much that some days I'm at 160g and that is really not necessary lol
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2016
    Just lowered my protein to 140-150 a DAY i WAS OVER 200 FOREVER (OOPS damm cap locks) As long as your getting .6-.8 your fine for lifting weights and getting results. Adding up your Macro's your at 720 calories (80 carbs 100 protein) how much fat are you taking in?

The real key to making this site work is a food scale and logging everything looking at the Facts and adjusting accordingly. My 2 cents
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited February 2016
    If you are eating low carb high fat (which you may be with those numbers, since they are similar to mine), then try adding some nuts (almonds,walnuts), eggs, cheese, sugar-free protein shakes, and of course, meat. If you need something convenient to have on hand, I like the Atkins shakes and bars and beef jerky. Tofu is an option as well. I love the Explore Asian pastas as well, as they are made from legumes. For instance, the fettucine is 10g net carbs and 24g protein. Shrimp cocktail is another tasty snack (get a low sugar sauce or make your own).

I do lift as well but on LCHF protein intake should remain moderate so I am for 80-100 grams a day (for me that is .75-.9g per #lbm) and 70-80g carbs max (apx 50 net).
  • canayjun
    canayjun Posts: 2 Member
    Adding raw Manitoba hemp hearts to pretty much everything - nice nutty flavor, 10g protein per 3 tbsp and high omega 3