Carb backloading diet

Options
What are your thoughts on this and any tips?

Replies

• one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    not sure what you mean?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Increasing carbs to add lean mass?

mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/carb-backloading-to-get-lean

Eh, from the link:
    What is Carb Back Loading? To lean out and gain muscle, try carb back-loading. As the name implies, this limits carb consumption to late in the day. Taking in carbs in the afternoon or evening is done for a strategic reason. Carbs make both muscle and fat cells grow—and often at the same time. But by shifting when you eat carbs, you can actually control which kind of tissue grows.

As stated earlier, Carb Nite can be effective without training. Carb backloading, on the other hand, requires resistance exercise to work. Your body’s sensitivity to insulin is highest in the morning and lowest in the afternoon, leading many to believe that we should eat carbs first thing in the morning because much insulin won’t be required to keep blood sugar under control.

The problem is that if you raise insulin even slightly by eating carbs—30 or more grams will do it—you seriously impair your body’s ability to burn fat for the rest of the day. Worse, you may even get fatter because of the presence of another hormone—cortisol. A stress hormone, cortisol will break down fat all morning, but combined with raised insulin, it can actually cause your body to create new fat cells.

For these reasons, most of your carb intake must come in the evening. Toss in a weight-training workout right before you eat carbs, and you maximize your ability for insulin to store them in your muscle cells while leaving fat alone. Studies in the Journal of Applied Physiology have demonstrated that lifting allows muscles to use and store sugar for several hours post-training—that means it will be quickly absorbed by the muscles you’ve trained to help them recover and grow. The best part? You get to eat tasty treats almost every day.

You can give it a shot. Nutrient timing is pretty fiddly IMO. I eat protein early in the day because that way I generally stay less hungry. And I eat carbs at night (if I have them still) because I think it helps me sleep better. But no way do I stay under 30 grams until dinner.
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ok, I don't know too much about this. Sorry I can't help, but good luck.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant to body composition long term. I can see how it could be used during peak week or for a certain temporary look, but long term, it doesn't matter or have any positive effect in comparison to eating the same amount throughout the day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think it's majoring in the minors and may be effective for elite bodybuilders working up to competition status
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the term, but the new book, The Wild Diet recommends shifting carbs to end of day, and eat none/very little for breakfast. Carbs at breakfast ramps up your hunger for the rest of the day - not good. While carbs late in the day help you sleep. Interesting......

• Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It actually works quite well but not for the reason the author gives (he has later admitted that his reasoning was wrong but it doesn't stop this approach being effective)
  • kaykaur13
    kaykaur13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks it's still very confusing it's all about timing when to eat when not to eat carbs ! I'm on 3 day of prep but I not lost no weight ! Probably I esting to much carbs it's supposed to be under 30g ! I will have to get a weighing machine soon !