Favorite vegetables and how to cook them

Options
Athijade
Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
Hey all! I'm looking for some advice/help/suggestions. I want to increase my vegetable intake (fresh and frozen mostly) as you can get a lot of bulk for your calories, but I get SO bored with the same things over and over. As much as I LOVE roasted squash and steamed asparagus, I can only eat them for so long before I give up. So, what I am asking for are some of your favorite vegetables AND how you prepare them!

Thanks!

Replies

• EricaABarnes
    EricaABarnes Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I bake both asparagus and shaved Brussel sprouts at 400 for 10 minutes then flip them and another ten minutes on the other side. My husband absolutely hates veggies but will eat both of these when I bake them.. for the asparagus wash them break off the ends then lay them out on a baking sheet not touching, drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on them and add any seasonings you want I just do a little salt and pepper and I think its mccormick? veggie seasoning then throw it in the oven. when I do the Brussel sprouts I buy the green giant pre washed pre shaved in a bag. I put them in a large bowl and drizzle a little olive oil and throw some seasonings in it and mix it around then spread it over a baking sheet and cook it the same way. they come out super flavorful and crunchy. be careful with the olive oil though especially on the asparagus because they get way to greasy rather then crunchy easily. and the 10 minutes is just a guestimate just keep an eye on them and when they look good to you flip them or take them out. I like them a little bit charred.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Roasted pretty much everything (I like blends of carrots/parsnips/turnips or zucchini/peppers/onions, just for example, or just cauliflower, broccoli, or Brussel sprouts).
    Mashed cauliflower (I add spices and some cream cheese or laughing cow)
    Soup
    I like steamed broccoli and cauliflower with some grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
    Shaved Brussel sprouts sauteed in olive oil (although I admit I still kinda suck at getting them cooked just right).
    Stuffed peppers.
    Sauteed onions with meat.
    Sauteed onions and peppers with sausage

These

http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/baked-cauli-tots/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/zucchini-tots.html
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Favourites would be the Asian greens - bok choi, gai lan, choi sum, water spinach...and top of the list is snow pea shoots. Quick stir fry in a wok with a little garlic and a dash of oyster sauce or abalone sauce....

If cooking more Mediterranean, then omit the oyster sauce and use an olive oil vs peanut oil....just as I'd cook chard, beet tops, Brussels sprout leaves,

• jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love tossing Brussels sprouts in a little olive oil or spraying then with Pam, seasoning well and roasting at 400-425 for around ten minutes. I make a glaze to go on tip from a mix of light syrup, balsamic vinegar and salt. Bring those to a boil for a minute or so then let it simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken. Tastes so good over Brussels sprouts!
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I had a great combo for dinner tonight- diced eggplant, yellow squash, baby Portobello mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Roasted at 425 for 40 minutes. I served it alongside a marinated pork tenderloin with a bit of balsamic vinegar and a baked potato. Sooo easy and delicious!
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A pat of Kerry Gold and some baby spinach. Just lightly cooked until the spinach starts to wilt. Little bit of salt and pepper.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Breakfast salad: one soft boiled egg, 10g bacon, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and a cup of spinach or mixed greens. It tastes way better than it should.

Sauteed mushrooms: mushrooms, garlic, and balsamic or red wine vinegar. I can put those on almost anything, or eat them as-is.

Roasted red peppers: bell peppers, oil, heat. They go with so many things, depending on the spices.

Sweet potatoes: baked, buttered, and sugared.

Omelets: I put almost any vegetable I habitually buy into these--usually right before they go bad. A quick saute, a few grams of cheese, and I don't have to throw out half of my crisper drawer.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Already some great options that I think I can do. Never had turnips, parsnips, or most of the greens mentioned (usually I stick with spinach) so may look those up and see. Like I said, I just get in a rut. Normally I make broccoli, asparagus, spinach, and yellow squash but with spring and summer coming soon(ish) I want to try new things... I just don't know how to make them!

Though I won't give up my roasted yellow squash with garlic... mmmmmmm
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Bitter greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, beans, berries and seeds in a salad. Mixing them optimizes their nutrition and cancer fighting properties. 8 ounces of tiny diced meat fried in a soup pot, onions fried, add 2 quarters chicken broth, beans, 2 small boxes of frozen collards-kale-turnip tops, 12 grinds of pepper, 1 tablespoon vinegar. Soup for a week.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I like to roast green beans & carrots w/ a bit of olive oil and za'atar.
    Steamed broccoli is my lazy go-to choice.
    Raw veggies w/ hummus - usually cucumbers and bell peppers.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I broadened my palate by buying a new vegetable on sale that I'd never tried before, then googling a recipe.

A kohlrabi peeled, sliced thin and eaten fresh, is a treat.

Baby Bok Choy are delightfully crisp and tender, somewhere between celery and cabbage. This is my favourite recipe for Bok Choy. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463848164122/
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My go-to vege recipe is eggplant, mushrooms, courgette, red pepper and squash all diced up, tossed with a little bit of olive oil, salt and chilli flakes and roasted then then served on top of a baby spinach salad. I usually go with a lemon dressing sometimes with tahini or yoghurt or sumac and serve it with lamb or chicken. YUM. Gosh I think I know what I might have for dinner tonight :)
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »
    I had a great combo for dinner tonight- diced eggplant, yellow squash, baby Portobello mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Roasted at 425 for 40 minutes. I served it alongside a marinated pork tenderloin with a bit of balsamic vinegar and a baked potato. Sooo easy and delicious!

^^^^ Sounds like we've got the same idea! <3
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite low calorie/high volume veggie faves is a bag of broccoli slaw sauteed in some oil with a couple good splashes of white wine vinegar and salt and pepper (or lemon juice with lemon-pepper blend)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Grilled asparagus brush with olive oil and soy sauce mixed. If spears are over sized, par boil first.

Beets - choose small beets and boil whole. Skin should slip right off. These take awhile. These should be good cubed and roasted (not tried yet).

Non-lettuce salad: Shredded carrots, sliced celery and thawed green peas. Mix in Newman's Sesame Ginger dressing. The dressing is very light. You can sub thawed French style green beans for peas.

Snap peas, raw. I can eat the whole bag. Just wash 'em up, no dip needed.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love going to the Asian market and getting greens and other things. Sometimes I have to Google items to find out what they are and if I'd like it and is it something I can prepare. The greens I lightly cook with salt and sometimes a little garlic or some type of Asian sauce that fits the flavor profile of my meal. There is so much deliciousness in that market :)

Brussel sprouts with garlic roasted or cut in half and sauteed. Roasted root veggies. I eat potatoes, sweet and regular, often and just make sure to buy small ones (and weigh them) so the calories stay low. I'm often seen cutting part of a potato off so the weight fits my calories lol. The dog gets those odd pieces.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I made a hash for my husband and I by offsetting the amount of potatoes with equal amounts of diced zucchini and yellow summer squash.

1 T olive oil
    1/2 medium zucchini, small dice (about 1 1/2 cup)
    1/2 Yellow summer squash, small dice (about 1 1/2 cup)
    1/2 large yellow onion, diced
    1/2 large bell pepper, diced
    5 baby new potatoes, washed, small dice (I don't peel mine)
    2 T water
    cracked black pepper, salt, and other seasonings as desired

Optional: 3 links chicken chorizo, or other sausage

Sautee onions, squash, and pepper in olive oil until nearly translucent over medium low heat. Add potatoes, water, seasonings, and sausage, if using, reduce heat, and put a lid on the pan. Check after 15 minutes. Cook until potatoes are soft and releasing their starch. Brown, if desired by cooking as long as desired.

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Make mash out of cauliflower and parsnips. Cut cauliflower into large florets and steam the cauliflower until you can stick a fork into them easily. Peel and cut parsnips into large chunks and put into boiling water until tender. Mash the two together (I use a stick blender), adding salt, cracked black pepper and nutmeg to taste. Butter or olive oil is optional and delicious.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You can steam veggies (my favourite for steaming are green beans, brocolli and carrots) then add a little bit of garlic, salt and tsp of olive oil. Mix it all together and serve. This also goes for grilling them - zucchini, eggplant and peppers are yummy when grilled and mixed with garlic and just a tsp of olive oil.
    Sauted veggies - my go to combination is onion+carrots+peas and then whatever other veggie I fill like adding (green beans, kale, zucchini, tomatoes,...)
    Also have you tried ratatouille? The easy version (this one is my fav https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUeDMqi_-dE) really doesn't take much time, it's super yummy and you can make it in batches, and have for next few days.
    I also have a recipe on MFP for Spicy beans - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GsKiki/view/spicy-beans-790590. This recipe has sausage in it, but it is really super yummy without it as well. And you can mix and match your veggies inside to your liking.

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower marinated with soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha and then roasted. Or Brussels sprouts roasted with sweet potatoes. Sauteed mushrooms with chard are very good too.