Reliable distance calculator that doesn't rely on GPS?

Options
I've posted this before and I'm hoping to get better results this time. Living in the Pacific Northwest where it rains ALMOST ALL THE TIME except for roughly July-September, and the fact that hiking often takes you to remote areas that don't have cell service, it's really hard to track your distance travelled. My GPS in my phone craps out on a regular basis, so some of the apps (cardiotrainer and iMapMyFitness) that I use end up choking during my walks and runs. I was wondering if someone cam point me in the direction of a dependable distance tracker for walking and running that doesn't rely on GPS. I've heard of one by Nike that goes in your shoe, but don't know much more about it than that. FOr instance, is it reliable? Is it hard to use? Do you have to have Nike shoes? And on and on. If anyone can point me int eh direction of something useful, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Replies

• michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have the Nike + sensor that goes in Nike + shoes and it works GREAT. The most it has been off so far is 0.13 miles. I use the Nike + iPod kit and it's $29.99. Then, you just need to buy a Nike + shoe. There's all different types.
  • snmonson
    snmonson Posts: 79
    Options
    mapmyrun.com

I am also from the Pacific Northwest. The forecast says sunny and high 60's for the next week.. Finally!
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    mapmyrun.com is done from your computer to map out your distance before/after you run/walk/hike. It uses google maps I believe
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    P.S., it is not hard to use at all--you put the little chip in the bottom of the inside of your shoe, and you plug a little USB looking thing into the charging port of the iPod. When you do that, a little app appears on the iPod and you click on it and click the center button to start. Then, walk. At the end of your walk/hike/whatever, you can stop the workout and it will tell you how far you went, what your pace was, and an estimate of the calories you've burned. You can also click the center button during your walk/run/whatever and it will say, out loud, your current pace, miles, etc. I love it!
  • Kayamooh
    Kayamooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper.com, it's got an app for phone that uses gps, but if it goes crazy on you while you're out then you can then adjust the route you took on the website after you finish. It's really easy to edit the route you took, and shows it to you in satellite and map form.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Polar foot pod
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I have used runkeeper, electric miles. But if the app GPS fail. Go buy a GARMIN, they are expensive but accurate.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a pedometer, got it on Amazon. You enter your average pace distance, weight, and a few other things, and it calculates the following: 1) number of steps taken; 2) distance traveled, i.e. miles; 3) calories burned; and 4) how many of those steps taken, and how much time of those steps taken, were considered "aerobic." It's awesome; stick it in your pocket and go. Can't think of the brand off the top of my head, but search for pedometers on Amazon and you'll find it, it's a common brand. I love mine; it's simple and gives me the information I need, and it's actually pretty precise if you get your average pace distance correct.
  • 4WAVK
    4WAVK Posts: 14
    Options
    What about fitbit or bodybugg? I am currently researching pedometers/HRMs & was leaning towards fitbit. Does anyone have either one of these & if so, would you recommend them? Wouldn't they meet his stated needs?
  • 4WAVK
    4WAVK Posts: 14
    Options
    Sorry, her stated needs. :)