Negative self image a hindrance or a help?

Do you find thinking negative things about yourself motivating or detrimental? Why or why not?

Replies

• chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    I'm a firm believer that you cannot hate yourself thin. Thinking "I'd like to change this" is one thing, but constant negativity about yourself, I've seen lead so many people to crash and burn and binge, because they feel so much self hatred.

One thing I wish I would have worked on earlier in my journey is loving myself for what I could do, and appreciating how far I've come. It's hard to stop picking at yourself even when you get down to goal weight if you start doing it now, and then you'll be disappointed that losing the weight didn't fix your heart. It's something I still have to work at.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I think thinking negative things at yourself as a motivator to lose weight is a really good way to end up still miserable with yourself even once you've lost it.
  • Don't ever let yourself think negative thoughts about your body! Catch it early and stop it. It's a habit and a hard one to kick. It brews self hate.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    You're always going to dislike (or at least like less than others) at least one bit of your body. I've noticed people who have started their weightloss journey because they hate their body/themselves/uses negative language to describe themselves usually have much more trouble sticking to what they need to do to lose the weight.
  • In my personal experience, it also often leads to unhealthy behaviors
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    I'm a firm believer that you cannot hate yourself thin. Thinking "I'd like to change this" is one thing, but constant negativity about yourself, I've seen lead so many people to crash and burn and binge, because they feel so much self hatred.

One thing I wish I would have worked on earlier in my journey is loving myself for what I could do, and appreciating how far I've come. It's hard to stop picking at yourself even when you get down to goal weight if you start doing it now, and then you'll be disappointed that losing the weight didn't fix your heart. It's something I still have to work at.

100% agree.

"The firm but kind mindset is the effective one" - Scott Abel

"You cannot hate your way to a positive outcome" - Scott Abel

It might seem paradoxical but you have to like your body, even a little bit, as it is now in order for it be be okay for it to change. Just try every day giving your body a little liking, a little love, a little appreciation. It's the best, most incredible thing you will ever own.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I honestly believe the reason I am being successful with weight loss and sticking with my plan/lifestyle change this time around after so many previous attempts and failures is because I finally stopped hating my body and accepted myself the way I was. As soon as did that, I found the motivation to lose weight and keep going. I think there is a lot to be said for the cliche "love yourself" and "be kind to yourself".

When I go over on calories, I don't panic or get down on myself. I just acknowledge it happened and will temporarily delay my weight loss, then I move on with the knowledge that it will happen again but I will still be fine and still continue to lose weight and get healthier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I strongly believe negative self talk is poisonous. Here's a great DVD that can help with this: You Can Heal Your Life, the movie, expanded version
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    I never thought negative thoughts about myself. I might think that "gee, this tummy flab has got to go" Or "I better start watching my food portions because I really don't want to have to buy another size up".

I don't think negative thinking of any kind is conducive to positive outcomes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Self hate is not the correct mindset to have.
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    For me negative self image was what got me started. I "felt" fat and had finally hit a point where my self loathing out weighed my need to eat whatever I wanted. TBH, it served as great fuel for my first 3-month burst of effort, but then died off. I had lost the weight (about 40 lbs), fit into a size of clothing I had never fit into, and felt really good about myself.

Then holiday season 2015 wrecked me. It started in October around my cousin's wedding, but I kept going as I found myself eating more and more and logging less and less. I hated myself for it, but it didn't help me any. I ended up gaining about 1/2 of the weight I had lost back. Now I'm realizing that being angry at myself isn't fueling me to get back on the horse.

My boyfriend actually really helped me find a new spark. What kind of person do I want to be? At first I told him "thin" but he pushed me to think beyond the superficial. In reality I want to be a healthy person, whose relationship with food is a stable one.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    I'm brutally honest with myself about how I look and what the cause of it is. I hate what I've done to myself and I hate the way I look. It motivates and drives me. I will go to the gym and finish workouts no matter how much I want to stop or it hurts, because doing otherwise is not an option. The hate is focused on the behavior and the results. I don't hate myself, but I do hate what I've done.
  • Daddypantz
    Daddypantz Posts: 6 Member
    I agree with the above statement that there will probably be something that isn't quite "right" by someone's standards. I've lost 30 pounds since last May. Am I "happier" overall? Hard to say, really. My "numbers" are better and I guess I'm helping extend my life with better eating choices and exercise, but my stress levels are still high and I'm not getting enough sleep. If one can keep everything in balance, I salute you.
    To get to the initial question, while the scale tells me I'm no longer "overweight" and my BMI number is where it should be, I'm still not convinced. I still look like a doughy suburban dad.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    My significant other uses guilt and prior body hate to motivate him to go to the gym. He doesn't enjoy exercise or the gym at all, but forces himself to go.

I go to the gym because I enjoy seeing people at my workout classes or finally being able to do a move I previously struggled with. I look forward to my classes and love exercise.

We both consistently workout so we both get the job done, but how would you rather live your life?

I try to check myself out in the mirror and give myself compliments. If I succeed at my goals and lose weight, then I am just more awesome than before (but I remind myself that I am awesome no matter what). It's way more enjoyable to love yourself and love what you do and you're way more likely to stick with it for the long term.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't say anything to yourself that you wouldn't say to your best friend -- especially because it's so hard to work on your confidence when the person you spend all of your time with is an *kitten*.

I hated and was cruel to myself for years, and it never made me any thinner. There's plenty of studies that discuss this as well; shaming, either internal or external, does not make people lose weight. It often makes them less likely to engage in healthy activities, which would, in turn, help them lose weight (if that's their goal).

I had to learn to be kind to myself and treat my body with respect and dignity. Choosing to lose weight for my own reasons, at that point, was a natural extension of the self-care that I was already engaging in.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Vortex88 wrote: »
    It might seem paradoxical but you have to like your body, even a little bit, as it is now in order for it be be okay for it to change.

YES. This.
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    I think most of us are guilty of negative self talk, otherwise we wouldn't be overweight! But to have the courage and honesty to step up to yourself and realize you need to lose weight, means you do care about yourself!

I used to tell myself I was 'just a fatty' and that I looked ridiculous and why would I do this myself? Then I'd get fatter.

I saw on a tv show about weight loss some great advice that I always keep in mind - Would you go up to your friend and say,"You fat slob. You look like a mess. What a loser!" ...of course you wouldn't! So why would you do it to yourself?

Ever since I remember this, I've lost weight. The positivity of people on here and thinking better of myself is what did it. I now realize what experts means by 'it's all in your head'.

• jmwebster74
    jmwebster74 Posts: 1 Member
    I was 70 pounds overweight at one point. I brewed a big pot of negativity every morning and drank from it all day (metaphorically, of course). It was these negative thoughts that drove me to lose all 70 pounds. At the end of it all, I was a normal, healthy weight, but I found that I hated myself and found too many other flaws to focus that negativity on. Things that can't be changed. So, that being said, even though negativity can be a motivational factor, once its set it, its difficult to lose and just makes you unhealthy in other ways.
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    I once heard a little maxim that you can get rich by being stingy, but no matter how rich you get you will still be a miser.

I think self image and diet follows this same principle. If the negative is what motivates you, what happens when the negative goes away?

It is far better to focus on the positive, on the things that will continue to motivate you in a maintenance mode. What will keep you working out and eating healthy when the scale, the mirror, and random comments from strangers give you positive feedback?
  • reighngold
    reighngold Posts: 5 Member
    I mean it depends on who you are. I find for me, a goal works well. I want to do x and so I work toward that. It's not a judgement on me, it's what I want and if I don't meet it, I'm unhappy about not meeting it. The real question you gotta ask yourself is, what motivates you.