The Dreaded SCALES!!

Options
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if any of you could help me,.
I have been weighing myself once a week at home on my carpet, but my Gran said to do it on a hard floor, it's more accurate, so I done this today and it weighs me about 2 kg heavier then on the carpet! I was gutted because I thought I had lost about 3kg in 4 weeks!

After looking on the net about where to have your scales it says that if you weigh on the carpet it'll weigh you heavier........so why am I lighter on the carpet??? By the way I have digital scales......where should I place them???

Anyone know does it matter with digital scales and does it weigh you heavier or lighter on the carpet???

If it has to be on the hard floor I will be gutted because I have been trying sooooooo hard for the last four weeks, going gym twice a week, boxersize, zumba, aerobics and pilates every week, my portion sizes and eating habbits have totally changed and my body shape has changed!

O help pleasssseeee before I get disheartened!!!!

Zoe

xxx

Happy dieting people!! :)

959484.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I am not sure but I have heard that about hard word floors and to find a consistent place to weigh yourself. For example same room and place on the floor so you aren't continuously jarring the scale and moving it around. I heard that sometimes that can make it inaccurate as well. I am not sure. If you know your scale and model you might want to look it up and see if it recommends one method or the other. Just a suggestion. I would be curious as to what others think. We have all hard wood floors so my scales are on hardwood. I keep mine in one spot in the bathroom and that is where I weigh and never move it.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hard floor! Carpet is not stable.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would think the scale would be lighter on carpet simply due to less resistence from below on the actual scale.

I wouldn't stress about it too much. Just be consistent whatever you do, and you can track your progress.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I weigh lighter on the carpet always thought that was the case and if until this morning you weighed on the carpet then you have lost 3kg in 4 weeks and that's fab x
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself on a hard flat surface...and that will give you your correct numbers...but might i add also that you should not weigh yourself once a week instead try once a month. The scale does not measure your true progress. A tape measure will do better...esp if your doing weight training....Throw the scale away, it will drive you crazy and work against you....
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    but don't you see you have still lost the same amount - its just that your starting weight was heavier as well!!! lol!

seriously it doesn't matter what you weigh on unless you desperately want to be a certain weight at the end. If you weigh on different scales you'll be a different weight, if you weigh on carpet/tile, upstairs/downstairs its all irrelevant in the end - you started weighing on carpet - continue to weigh in carpet - surely its the total amount lost thats more important as appose to the actual weight.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hard floor and each time you move it you have to start it and weigh yourself and then do it again. Sometimes moving the scale messes it up. So try to find a place you can leave it at.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Always weigh on a hard surface. Did you start out weighing on carpet? If you started on carpet then your loss is still legit, you just had a higher starting weight than you thought. Just adjust your starting weight accordingly.
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    A hard surface level floor is the place for it to be and if you can kep it in the same place even better :)
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Did you originally weigh in on the carpet aswell? You may still have lost those kgs!!!
    I always weigh on hardflood because it is more acturate.

I had a scale that was off - and I always thought I weighed 10lbs less than I did. When I found out that my scale as off I was soooooo discouraged. However - I realized. I may be 10lbs heavier - but I have still lost the same amount. And to say now that I have lost 58lbs all together - instead of 48. Wel lthat my friend makes it more worth it!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So easier said than done but TRY NOT to stress over it....
    You said you've been doing all the right things so all in all you will be on the right track to a healthier life!
    My suggestion is to weigh same place (bathroom - hard floor) same time of week (try only once a week Monday morning is good and with no clothes on after you've been to the loo) and see how you go....
    "Pick yourself up..dust yourself off and start over again...."
    Do you measure yourself?? I do my waist, hips and thighs and it is possibly BETTER to see the cm coming off than the kilos!! I do it once every two weeks...
    All the very best and really - I'm sure you are doing just great!!
    Well done
    :flowerforyou:
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    your gran is right, if the feet of the scales can sink into the carpet (using up some of the force your body weight + gravity is exerting downward which is what the scales are trying to measure) is they won't be as accurate.
    HOWEVER!!! as a number of others have said, it's the change that you are measuring so don't stress it :)

i also have my scales sitting on a carpet, although a nasty old thin one that doesn't have much give, and they are a dirt cheap set that i doubt were that accurate to begin with but as long as they are giving me a rough guide it's good enough. maybe i'll get the doctor to give me an accurate read one day when i'm a bit further down the road :)
  • kieraellie
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, There are some good points I didn't really think about...eg..the difference between the two just add (Or take away) to the starting weight of the carpet ...it's still amounts to the same amount lost. If i started on carpet carry on on carpet.

I think I'm going to carry on as I am, and get the tape measure out too, I do want to get to a cretin weight but then I know this will take time so think its the measurements that'll have meaning!

So Iv'e still lost 4kg....Phew!!! thank god for that! have a bit more umpff back in me now! :wink:

Thanks for all you help and support. :heart: xxx