I need motivation - can anyone help?!

Options
Hi everyone,

So I don't know what's wrong with me, normally I am pretty focused and positive, but the last couple of weeks.. well mostly this month, I have struggled so much! I have been on & off, being super healthy with exercise, to the complete opposite and eating everything in sight! Most of the time it's in my head, I feel like I NEED this food to improve my moods etc but I know deep down I don't. I can improve my mood by working out and feeling better for it but I have just lost all motivation!

Is anyone else feeling like this? I never normally struggle this bad, I can see myself gaining because of it but can't seem to stop myself :( keep saying I'll start tomorrow, but tomorrow seem's impossible!

I have a holiday in September so I know I have time to get in shape, but I don't want to do it just for the holidays I want to feel good all the time!

Any advice, tips, or anyone else feeling like this right now??

HELP!

Replies

• Janeyjaned
    Janeyjaned Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes, I've been feeling like this lately. Last week I was good, eating healthy and exercising but Saturday I had this craving for chocolate! And I ate it! I've let myself down. Can't seem to get myself motivated to go and exercise!
    I know what you are saying! It's hard to get back into the zone!
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i read recently you don't need motivation just determination......... i lack both lol x
  • aglrt2
    aglrt2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't delay knowing you have time might make u say you can slack off. You can do it. Don't start tomorrow start right now. Your mind is stronger than your body. Make yourself go.
  • luciewhitefield25
    luciewhitefield25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one, It doesn't help that I seem to be the only one trying to be good and healthy & everyone else seems to be eating what they like around me! I know that once I get going and use to it again I find it easier, its the part of actually getting up and going I'm struggling with!

This weather isn't helping either, I just want to curl up in bed, sleep & eat! I know I shouldn't make excuses but I am finding it so hard! I know I can do it, I've done it before!
  • stormiez3
    stormiez3 Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I set an achievable Goal for myself by April! At first I was doing amazing but I am a sugar addict and have to make a ton of cupcakes for a family friends wedding reception! They wanted to try different flavors so I was making cupcakes very very often an started testing them now I have had the hardest time getting back on track I personally can't have a cheat meal or cheat item I have no control afterwards I have realized I feel so much better when I eat clean I really do... I'm hoping to get back on track and restart today! Maybe we can keep each other motivated!
  • nowldg
    nowldg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @ luciewhite & @ stormies Just a suggest get a Metabolic Test done. Sometimes One may not know that eating too much of the wrong foods can make one sad & tired. Getting this test, allows the person to actually know what their body process. Example I am a Carbohydrate Type I don't process too much fats & protein. Dinner would be 2 cups Carbs, 3-4oz Protein *white* meat chicken or turkey 2 cups 1 serving of fat/oils. Getting the test done will make you more filling and enjoy eating. Weight drops EASY YOU GUYS CAN DO IT!! I know you can! :):)<3<3
  • nowldg
    Options
    Don't forget FIBER....
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think it is the time of year - February blahs! - I just reset my goals and I started walking outside again.
    I think the fresh air is a great mood booster.
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    stormiez3 wrote: »
    I set an achievable Goal for myself by April! At first I was doing amazing but I am a sugar addict and have to make a ton of cupcakes for a family friends wedding reception! They wanted to try different flavors so I was making cupcakes very very often an started testing them now I have had the hardest time getting back on track I personally can't have a cheat meal or cheat item I have no control afterwards I have realized I feel so much better when I eat clean I really do... I'm hoping to get back on track and restart today! Maybe we can keep each other motivated!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I guess it's normal to slip up, just got to move on and start fresh! I'm quite bad when it comes to one bad treat, turning it into a whole treat day/weekend/week.. And that's when I struggle to get back on track, it's like I have no control! I think I need to set a goal for April too as that can be achievable and then I have something to aim for! I'm deffo up for keeping each other motivated, hopefully it helps us both! I've already messed up today but I will 1000% be back on it fully tomorrow, being as good as possible to shift this weight now!
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    How would I go about getting one of those tests? Sounds interesting.. I think I'm just addicted to chocolate
  • seashell603
    seashell603 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know that when I need motivation or support, my boyfriend and friends are always there to help! When it comes to exercise, I myself will sometimes not want to do it. But then I think about how much better I feel afterwards. Always think about the positive outcome. Each week I try to set a goal on how many miles I want to walk to help me get into that mindset. I hope this helps!
  • nowldg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @luciewhitefield25 check your PM. I try to do a main Good Deed a Day & Good Deeds through out the day. Today You Won. Check your PM
  • sarahhuntting15
    sarahhuntting15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat a little junk from time to time.
    But studies on self control have found that if you're craving something, you can taste it, but don't eat it. If you continue to do that, you'll still crave bad for you foods, but it will gradually get less intense.
    Added sugars are kind of like Crack to the body as far as addictiveness are concerned (surprisingly), so don't beat yourself up over falling off the wagon a little, just get back up and try again. You CAN do this!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I know there is nothing out there that states this, to my knowledge anyway, but vitamin D. I am typically a chocoholic, but after I started taking an OTC vitamin D supplement, I have had little cravings for chocolate... could just be a placebo effect of some sort...

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My motivation waxes and wanes. Currently I have zero motivation to work out. I'm doing decent on my diet thankfully so I'm still losing . I really need to find something to get me back in the workout groove though.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes and goes with my anxiety. Right now I'm in a low-anxiety period so I'm eating 1200 cal and working out daily. Other days getting out of bed is scary and the thought of going to the gym four hours before my work shift starts totally means I'm going to be late for my shift... and lose my job.. and not be able to find another one.. and have to move back home.. and lose my boyfriend... well, you get the point. :wink:

You just gotta go with it. Try to minimize the impact of the lows on the days you have the highs.

• PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    samchez0 wrote: »
    My motivation waxes and wanes. Currently I have zero motivation to work out. I'm doing decent on my diet thankfully so I'm still losing . I really need to find something to get me back in the workout groove though.

This is me...my motivation comes and goes..it is my discipline that keeps me going. I've conditioned myself to do what needs to be done vs. what I rather do instead. It's a habit now.

Be patient and take little steps..I don't deprive myself..but I know if I over-indulge there are "consequences" that follow.

Set a mini-goal (as others have said)...something attainable and that will allow you to build on..
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and advice, I am feeling much more focused & positive today! crazy what a good nights sleep can do! (& having a look hard look in the mirror!)

I have set myself small achievable goals and I am ready to smash this starting today!

Thanks again! Good luck everyone xx
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Happens to the best of them, some it hits harder. I find drinking coffee or tea and playing guitar gets my mind turned onto to something else.
  • andrewjbaker1984
    andrewjbaker1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone tries to lose weight in January and February which is totally understandable but personally I'm happy just losing a bit after Christmas (I.e being really strict the first two weeks in January) and then just maintaining until March.

I don't know where you're from but where I live it's dark, wet, windy and cold. If you can't treat yourself to tea and biscuits or a film and some chocolate then it's a bit miserable!

Don't beat yourself up about it. You don't need to be permanently dieting/watching what you eat and then feeling bad when you have a binge. Life's too short for that. Maybe though just go for the slightly smaller bars... Also hot chocolate is a good option over actual chocolate. Less calories but gives you the taste.

Come the nicer weather, it's far easier to lose weight, be motivated and eat healthier. You can go for a walk in the evening, it's less of a strain to work out and your cravings should decrease.