Recipe Importer - nutritionial calculations are way off

Options
liidogirl
liidogirl Posts: 2 Member
I just tried to import 2 recipes and find that nutritional / caloric data to be very inaccurate. Is there a problem with the importer or am I doing something wrong?

I imported a recipe for Chipotle Chicken Salad http://allrecipes.com/recipe/169329/chipotle-chicken-salad/ - and as example of the bad data it came up with - here's what it shows for the 2 1/2 cups of chicken:

2.50 cup, chopped or diced Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted -

it gave this nutritional info:
calories 57750 Total Fat 1249Total Carbs 0Protein 10857Edit Quantity Replace Remove

Replies

• PaulaAlter1
    PaulaAlter1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can make adjustment edits in the recipes. The other thing that may have happened is that adjusting the number of servings is a little obscure to find. I have to pay special attention to be sure that I make that adjustment as it's automatically set for 1 serving. I've found this recipe builder to be pretty close to accurate.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It does the same thing when you add in your individual ingredients. Just double check each item and edit as needed.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It does the same thing when you add in your individual ingredients. Just double check each item and edit as needed.

Exactly - whether I recipe import or manually add recipe, the same problems arise with matching. I still like the importer as it saves me the step of manually entering each ingredient. I still have to manually CHECK each ingredient and typically replace at least 1-2 inaccurate matches.
  • beausierens
    beausierens Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe you didn't divide the recipe into a number of servings. But even then, I find some of the micronutrient level measurements are way off. In particular, I don't believe the tool properly divides sodium levels for the whole recipe by the number of servings indicated for the recipe. So, when I add it to my food diary, it'll say some recipe included like 4000 sodium/serving while all the other numbers appear about right.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What I found strange is that I just imported the exact same recipe as the OP and, without making any adjustments, I saved it with all of the "funky" calorie amounts. It saved to pretty close to what I would have anticipated it to be.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's a known issue. There are several database entries (often generic entries for vegetables and stuff) that show a comically inflated calorie count in the recipe builder - for example, I think a clove of garlic comes up as ~450 calories each. Double check each individual ingredient and you'll quickly see where the issue is. Supposedly the MFP team is "working on it," but it's been going on for a few months with no fix yet, so hopefully that's coming soon.

Edited - I see you already identified the ingredient, sorry, I read that as the info for the full recipe. Yep, that's exactly what I'm used to seeing. Just replace that with a different entry for chicken breast and you'll be good to go. And now you know what to look for and know that it's nothing you did! :smile:
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    how do you import a recipe? I know how to manually add recipe.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What I found strange is that I just imported the exact same recipe as the OP and, without making any adjustments, I saved it with all of the "funky" calorie amounts. It saved to pretty close to what I would have anticipated it to be.

My understanding is that the Android app is not the same as the iPhone app and not the same as using the website. They all handle things somewhat differently from what I gather. I also find there are temp glitches in the recipe builder that comes and goes.

All in all, I still appreciate the fabulous info I can gather from the recipe builder.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options

thanks...I used the recipe from the OP and now what would be consider serving size? I adjusted the ingredients
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I've found its because it is importing it incorrectly. I have had to go manually add it myself and have better luck with that.