Using jacuzzi/sauna/steam room at the gym

Options
Background: I joined the local Y two months ago. It was my first time belonging to a gym. I mostly use the treadmill and recumbent bike, and sometimes the weight machines. I do 30-45 minutes of moderate cardio 5-6 times a week, and I'm content with that. My goals are to earn more calories, lose weight, increase general fitness, and lower blood sugar (T2 diabetic).

When I got my introductory tour, I was shown the pool area, which includes a steam room and also a whirlpool that I guess would hold 4-6 people. No one was in it at the time. There is also a sauna in the women's locker room.

I never use the pool, so I have no reason to see if people are in the whirlpool. Lately, I have thought it might be pleasant to go in for a soak after my cardio. I guess I'd need to shower and change into my bathing suit.

Is this a thing people do? When/why how do they use the various hot places at the gym? I feel silly asking, but this is foreign territory to me.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never used a sauna or steam room and kind of hate hot tubs. They are not appealing to me at all. I know that my gym has a sauna but I've never seen anybody using it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I belonged to the Jewish Community Center (similar to the Y) here in town, I used that stuff all of the time...though I've never particularly enjoyed the steam room.

A soak in the hot tub after lifting is nice...I also liked using the pool to cross train and take a break from cycling...and sometimes I'd just go to take my kids to the pool. They also took swimming lessons there so when they were in lessons I'd either swim laps or sit in the hot tub or some of both.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I don't care for hot tubs or steam rooms, so I have no advice about those. Sorry. They cause frizzy hair, which is a BIG 'no-no" for me.

I DO love the sauna, but only when it's cold out. I like to go sit in the dark, quiet heat for 10 - 15 minutes after a good weight session. It really relaxes the muscles. I don't do cardio anymore so I'm not very sweaty after a workout, so I just get undressed and go into the sauna in a towel and some flip flops. If I was sweaty to begin with or afterwards I would take a quick, rinse off shower as I wouldn't want to pollute the sauna by being smelly and I don't want to smell anyone else either. I believe that is proper etiquette since that's what I've always done, but I could be wrong.
  • elivelez62
    elivelez62 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the hot sauna after my work out. I stay in there about 10 minutes. It increases blood flow which reduces blood pressure making heart beat more efficiently. Eliminates dead cells after the workout making skin look younger. Psychologically I believe that it reduces any tightness in my muscles. Try it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I love sitting in the hot tub after a longer run! I just take my swimming suit, change and shower after my run and hop in.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use the steam room and sauna. Don't like hot tubs. I use usually before a swim to help breathing (have a them a which is much improved since using it), or if I'm a little stiff. There another sauna in changing room which I use to warm up after showering, though occasionally will use the main one.
    Main rule is swimwear for the mixed ones in pool area, a lot have rules about sitting on a towel in sauna, so you may need spare. If you have a sauna in the changing area, then unless otherwise stated they tend to be wear what you like. A lot of people shower and then wrap towel or robe around them. Others go in in swimwear. Was even lady in her gym kit in ours last week ( though that is rare enough occurence to stick out).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for a long time. Our fitness club put in a spa area about 6 yrs ago, 3 yrs ago they included it in our membership, so I started to go. There are 2 saunas, a turkish bath, a whirlpool, and warm ceramic beds. I have OA and so do 40 min swimming laps, and 30 min acquagym. After, I use the whirlpool for 15 min, and then the ceramic beds. I love it. It's so relaxing. They have soft colored lights and the showers have all different jets and functions. It's such a treat.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I get skeeved out by public hot tubs because I don't know how they are taking care of them. We have a hot tub and you better believe that with just my husband and I it takes a lot to keep the chemicals balanced.

I do like a good steam and sauna though.

(ETA: I have never gone into a steam or a sauna with clothes on. It just seems pointless and kind of gross to me).
  • snowflake954
    Options
    I get skeeved out by public hot tubs because I don't know how they are taking care of them. We have a hot tub and you better believe that with just my husband and I it takes a lot to keep the chemicals balanced.

That's true, but if you think that way, you miss out on alot. Our big problem is less exposure to germs, which weakens our defenses. I also hate hand sanitizer. Overkill in my opinion.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

That's true, but if you think that way, you miss out on alot. Our big problem is less exposure to germs, which weakens our defenses. I also hate hand sanitizer. Overkill in my opinion.

Yeah, sorry but unless I know that the chemicals are on point and that it's being maintained I tend to stay away. There's nothing worse than catching a nasty infection (BV, UTI, yeast infection etc) from one of those things.
  • snowflake954
    Options

Yeah, sorry but unless I know that the chemicals are on point and that it's being maintained I tend to stay away. There's nothing worse than catching a nasty infection (BV, UTI, yeast infection etc) from one of those things.

Hasn't happened to me in 3 yrs--twice a week. Guess I'm just lucky. B)
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I brought my swimsuit to the gym today, only to discover that the whirlpool was closed for repairs. Murphy's Law. I contented myself with a long hot shower instead.