Married to a Thin person

Options
What do you do when your spouse is thin? My husband tried to be supportive, but last night I found myself in old habits, snacking in front of the TV with him. Overall our meals have been healthier (I do most of the cooking and planning) but snacking is a big problem. Advice?

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I feel this. I just have to remember that I'm not him. I'm 5'4 nearly 170, and hes 5'11 and probably around 145. I try to not snack when he snacks. Last week I got out an adult coloring book while watching TV so I wouldn't keep snacking on a bag of cookies I had bought. Otherwise, you can always just make healthier snacks.
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of the coloring book. I actually have one that I use to de-stress!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've also read that painting your nails is a good idea, because if your nails are wet, you don't want to dip your hand into a chip bag and get crumbs stuck to the polish Lol
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    What do you do when your spouse is thin? My husband tried to be supportive, but last night I found myself in old habits, snacking in front of the TV with him. Overall our meals have been healthier (I do most of the cooking and planning) but snacking is a big problem. Advice?

What did he do wrong?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Are you implying that your snacking was because your husband is not supportive? It's your decision as to whether to snack or not, and if you choose to, what you choose to snack on.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh man can I relate!! I'm 5'7" and currently around 201 lbs. My husband is 5'6" and MAYBE 135 dripping wet.
    He's always been a smaller build than me, and I have to constantly remind myself of that. I have almost always been larger than him, even when we got married 24 years ago. I was still at least 10-15 lbs heavier than him.

• MAB0218
    MAB0218 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft5 184...he is 6ft2 186...it looks good on him..he eats whatever he wants and doesnt gain..I cant wait to weigh a lot less than him.
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    He did not do anything wrong. He is allowed to eat whatever he wants. But yes, when he brings chips or candy to the couch, I find it hard to resist. This is my weakness and lack of willpower. That is why i was asking for advice.

I don't think I will EVER weigh less than my husband. He is a few inches taller than me, but very different builds. I need to not compare. We are meant to have boobs and butts, right?
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yep this IS a tricky one, my sig. other is not skinny but he is definitely thinner than me and can eat and drink a lot more and get away with it. At first I was embarrassed to not join him in eating snacks and big meals. Then I started being pretty straight with a "no thanks I'm trying to cut back" and "well this time I'll pass" and even "No! My mind is a fortress!!" and even ordering small meals when we are out together. At first it felt weird and embarrassing but now it feels like a new normal and I don't squirm any more. I now don't eat HIS snack food, in the same way I don't eat my cat's food ! I see it as his.
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    I love that, treating it like it's the cat's food. Too bad it smells and tastes great.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a few of your own snacks ready and portioned for when he is snacking and you feel like something too. It is Definetly super hard to resist if someone is sitting beside you munching on something delish. Have a few bags of pre portioned pretzels or chips or whatever and try to savor them slowly. Or cut up some fruit or have veggies and hummus in the fridge so you can eat when he does.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't have the same calorie needs, or sleep needs. I don't keep trying to pretend we do. I do what I need to do. For me. I have all my own snacks. He has his. We eat healthy meals together, and share some snacks.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Tonight my hubby snacked on a large bag of chips. I ate a banana, yogurt and a small portion of low cal cake. I have to have my own snacks as I'm short and fat and he's tall and thin. However, that is changing...soon, I may be short and in shape! I have at times asked him to remove his treats from my vicinity. He does.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft tall and my DH is 5' 11". I tell him (and myself) he can probably eat about twice what I do. Helps me keep things in perspective- although I sure do admit to jealousy some days :)

Still, it made it easier once I accepted that simple fact. I just stop when I have had about half what he has had. Or have my own pre logged snacks planned.
  • lzap27
    lzap27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I totally get this too. My husband has always had a great body and a six pack without really trying. I have always been overweight, but he loves me anyway ❤️ My only advice is to make your mind up to resist. Trust me I know how hard it is I promise because I've been on and off diets for over 20 years. This year is the first time I know that I can finally do this.