Non-hungry eating: how to stop?!

Options
I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience/advice of how best to deal with eating when not hungry?

I am definitely not in need of food as I type this; I've eaten a good evening meal as well as a lot of other rubbish, but still my mouth is watering at the mere thought of food. The urge to eat is so, so strong it distracts me from whatever else I am doing.

I don't want to eat! I know I don't need it, but that doesn't dampen my desire to grab 15 slices of toast and a bag of crisps - it's so frustrating!

Has anyone experienced this and, more pertinently, has anyone any advice on how to manage it?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies

• DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I try stick by a rule where I only eat food when I'm at the dining table in the kitchen. I will not allow myself to bring food into my room to eat.
    This has worked out really well for me because it means that after I have finished eating a meal, I will wash my dishes, then retreat to my room and do something else until I feel hungry again, or it's time for my next meal.

I use to have a terrible habit of snacking on cookies etc in my room without thinking and immediately feel guilty. I also don't buy snacks full stop. I will only buy food I need to make meals. The only 'snacks' i have are corn thins, and various fruits/veges :)

I also find that heading out of the house after meals is a good idea. Going on walks, or even distracting yourself with your favourite TV series keeps your mind busy until your next meal.. good luck!!
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Drink! Have a glass of water.
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually find that I do that because I am not tuning into my emotions. My feelings about whatever is going on in my life will find whatever distraction they can (usually focusing on food)!
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can think of 3 things to help. Exercise e.g. going for a walk can help restore your inner feeling of balance. Meditation can also help to calm those tumultuous feelings. I also recommend learning EFT or tapping. It looks silly but it really helps. In addition having fun with friends is important. Addictions can be about being connected. If you don't feel bonded with others, you may bond with food or TV or alcohol etc. As you bring balance into your life, your addictions lose their power over you.
  • peperley
    peperley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I did try and figure out if the desire for food was masking something deeper, but if it was it was too deep for me to find!

I do drink a lot as I know thirst can often be mistaken for hunger, but thanks for the reminder.

Gum is a good idea and I'll try it, thank you. Will also try staying out of the kitchen (which seems so obvious I can't think why I haven't consciously done it previously!). Also like the idea of meditating - I've got a couple of apps that I should make use of.

It has actually calmed a little now, which is interesting. I rarely make it this long without caving. It's similar to the desire to smoke after giving up, it's that strong, but maybe it's just a case of riding the wave until it passes, like when an urge to smoke hits.

Anyway, thank you - strangely comforting to know it's not just me.

• cemiller1
    cemiller1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know your pain. I am a food addict... and if I'm craving something there is normally no stopping me. I can devour a bag of chips in one sitting if I'm not paying attention. Days when I work out hardest I also find my appetite to be even greater and more insatiable. One thing that was suggested to me and seems to work is to eat pickles. Vlasic Dill Pickle slices are 0 calories... Gherkins are only a couple calories... and they do seem to satisfy the need for salty snacks and the need for a crunchy bite.... it works for me SOMETIMES. I've also read that drinking a shot of pickle juice after working out can help reduce cravings later in the day and help replenish the electrolytes in the body.... I've done it a few times, but I often forget or if I'm working out at the gym I don't bring pickle juice along with me. More often than not I just try to fight the urges... and hope I win.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just stop. Self control and discipline.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so that we can see it and offer a better chance of being helpful advice.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Some random thoughts before you do, fiber, protein, bread. Get fiber, plenty of fiber. Get protein, plenty of protein. DON'T get bread and the variety of products made with enriched flour.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I don't have these cravings as often as I used to but when I do feel that way I suck on a sugar free hard candy... Peppermint usually does the trick, so does butterscotch or Werther's. Good luck!
  • peperley
    Options
    Bleeding Norah, I know the answer is to just stop! I know it's pure greed and nothing to be proud of but the fact remains that I find it v difficult to stop, hence my asking if anyone a) experiences the urge and b) how they manage it. Thank you though - I do appreciate that that is ultimately the answer.

Thank you for the pickles advice.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I keep bags of already washed salad and snap peas. If the desire to snack mindlessly is too much, I snack on these.
  • shab3000tz
    shab3000tz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thats the same problem for me. Bit I have made it a.rule to watch outthe calories of whaterver I want to eat . So this hps me discipline my bindge eating. I simply forece my mind to follow the rules of clean eating. I must admit its really difficult but at times you could much a nutri bar that could calm.your cravings. This helped me .
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Get yourself Duhigg's book on habit. His cookie craving when he analysed it, was his way of curing boredom. His old habit was to get up, get a cookie, and socialize a bit before going back to work. When he switched out the cookie straight to socializing he got his need met without adding calories.

Another way to extend your self-discipline, which you just experienced, is to tell yourself you will wait ten minutes then go get your treat. You aren't depriving yourself but you are training yourself to go without for longer and longer periods of time.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have not solved it as of this time. I do know it is the taste I'm really after and not hunger fulfillment. Boredom triggers this more than anything. I wish there was a pill for apathy...at work mainly.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Replacing snacking with drinking water, stock your fridge with healthier snack options, and brush your teeth after a certain point so you're less likely to eat (though that one never worked for me)
  • peperley
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Another way to extend your self-discipline, which you just experienced, is to tell yourself you will wait ten minutes then go get your treat. You aren't depriving yourself but you are training yourself to go without for longer and longer periods of time.

I love this idea, thank you! Can see it being workable and will avoid the panicked all or nothing thinking I tend to slip into.

I appreciate all the different food ideas but ideally, I'd like to break the habit (assuming it is habit), rather than replace the foodstuff as I know I'm not organised enough to guarantee I'll always have a good option to hand.

Many thanks for all your input. As I said earlier, it's good to know others feel the same (I sort of guessed they must, but am not aware of anyone irl).
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and in the past I have found eating pickles, or drinking a cup of grapefruit juice really works to kill cravings. If its a chocolate craving buy more than 85% dark cocoa chocolate to get your fix. It is not mere willpower that will cure this problem. You have to find another way.