I started lifting and I'm FAMISHED

Options
Makes sense? I don't want to gain weight so I hope it's normal. Anyone else have this?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Were you working out before? Lifting doesn't make me all that hungry, but I run a couple of times a week and that always makes me feel like I'm starving.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I run without issues! But I recently started weight lifting again and find it so hard!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What are you lifting? Reps? What's your food intake level? Basically, if you are in deficit with calorie intake and add a serious weight-lifting component to your exercise, you must accurately log your exercise and then MFP tells you how many extra calories you've earned in your food plan. You still want to lose weight, so eat 50% to 75% of the exercise calories and try to get plenty of protein in that.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that happens. Try increasing protein and/or fat intake.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I didn't get hungry from lifting, but when I tried jogging/running last summer, I was super hungry the rest of the day. It was one of the reasons I stopped running (also the cold weather).

I'd say try having something small after your lifting workout to see if that helps, something with protein/fat (or what works for you; carbs worked for me).
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Swimming makes me most hungry. I do get hungry from heavy lifting squats/deadlifts. Not so much from running. Protein snack after helps me avoid a food binge later.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What are you lifting? Reps? What's your food intake level? Basically, if you are in deficit with calorie intake and add a serious weight-lifting component to your exercise, you must accurately log your exercise and then MFP tells you how many extra calories you've earned in your food plan. You still want to lose weight, so eat 50% to 75% of the exercise calories and try to get plenty of protein in that.

Agreed! I actually starting eating the majority of my exercise calories back, and have been looking, feeling, and performing a whole lot better! And I've had to really watch my protein macros!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I actually find I'm famished the day after lifting....and I am inclined to eat every single calorie of my allotted 2100 on those days.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    Makes sense? I don't want to gain weight so I hope it's normal. Anyone else have this?

Take a protein shake see if that helps
  • girlonfire10
    girlonfire10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip.... I'm constantly starving too since lifting weights and in the past have been accused of eating like a bird...this hunger sensation is new to me....
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I actually find I'm famished the day after lifting....and I am inclined to eat every single calorie of my allotted 2100 on those days.

Same here, especially after leg or back day
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »

If you are building muscle, you will likely gain some weight, but it's not fat weight, so you will look nice. On the 4 days/week I lift, my trainer has me on an extra 450 calories for about an hour's worth of work. My protein goal is one gram per lb of body weight. I drink a protein shake (mixed with milk) after I lift, and that helps with the hunger, as does a snack of nuts or cheese. My macros are 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carbs (although I eat more carbs than I should, but a lot fewer than I used to).

On the days I don't lift, I am supposed to be at 1200, but I do eat back the calories I expend in cardio.

I have 15 lbs that I still want to lose, and I am just sitting at the same weight due to the lifting, but I have found that I need to go out and buy new pants and shirts, and just today I had to rummage around for the belts I wore in college as a size 6, because my current belts don't hold my pants up any more. B)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think it's about par for the course. If you're trying to maintain and have introduced a new activity on top of the other activity you do, keep in mind that you probably will need to eat a little more...you're doing more, so you're going to require more to maintain.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

this is me too - and I'm glad I noticed it, as otherwise there is a temptation to refuel on both days - the day of the lifting because that's what I think I should do, and the day after because I could eat anything that came in my vicinity. Now I don't bother to eat extra on lifting days, but do the refuelling the following day instead.

I do tend to go for a very small snack after the workout though, but that's partly because I usually haven't eaten before.