Celiac Diagosis- any tips , suggestions etc?

Options
Hi All,

I am 5 days diagnosed w/ Celiac so I cannot have gluten any longer. I have been doing research and cleaned out my fridge. I have been warned that many gluten free items have higher sugar and calories to enhance the flavor. Does anyone have a site or book they recommend that has weight loss recipes for gluten free? I bought a paleo/ gluten free cookbook, but I want to get all the resources I can to make this transition as easy as possible! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Where'd @PeachyCarol go? I believe she has celiac.
  • 4pancakes
    4pancakes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A gluten-free food blog:
    iowagirleats.com

The author was diagnosed maybe 2? years ago, so some of the older recipes will not be gluten-free.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, don't just throw out your gluten containing food. Throw away things like sponges, colanders and strainers, and scratched pans or plastic utensils where gluten may be hiding, etc.

I haven't really found any gf cookbooks I really like a lot. I can easily adapt my own recipes to be gf. It's easier to be gf if you know how to cook. If you're eating in restaurants or buying pre made food, it is hard. Fruits and vegetables are naturally gluten free. Meat, fish and poultry are naturally gluten free. Potatoes, rice, corn and quinoa are gluten free. Butter, olive oil, eggs, milk, cheese, and sour cream are naturally gluten free. If you order any of those items in a restaurant, they may have gluten in them.

I don't buy a lot of gf products although the store shelves are now filled with them. I do like Udi's or Trader Joe's whole grain gluten free bread; all other brands are revolting. I like Tinkiyada brown rice pasta although Trader Joe's brand is a good cheaper substitute. When I want to bake treats, I usually make my own instead of buying a mix. I've found the more flours I mix together, the better my gf baked goods are (if you want to trouble with it), but Pamela's all purpose flour works fine (my own is better). Pamela makes good cookies, too. I even have three separate cupcake shops near my house with gf cupcakes which is ridiculous. Sweet rice flour (Mochiko) is a perfect replacement for wheat flour for thickening sauces and gravies; it costs about $1 at Asian grocery stores and $5 at Whole Foods.

Read labels. They sneak gluten into everything. IHOP puts it in their omelets. The last two times I was at Whole Foods, the free cheese samples had wheat in the ingredients. Most corn tortillas don't have it, but some do. They're sneaky with that stuff. Disney World is gluten free paradise; Disneyland not so much.

It'll be difficult at first, but you'll get used to it. After a while, you won't even think about it.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I agree with pp....dont try to keep eating the same meals with GF substitutes....its expensive and they are rarely as good as the gluten filled original item.

My best advice is to sit down and make a list of all the foods you currently eat that are naturally GF. What meals can you make without changing anything? Snacks?

Now make a list of meals you can make with easy subsitutions or that can be served with naturally GF alternative...like rice instead of a pasta side. Using oatmeal (check labels), instead of breadcrumbs in meatloaf/meatballs...etc..

See what you can make and eat without searching for special recipes.

Then start expanding your recipe and snack base as you get more comfortable cooking and eating GF.

We are often an GF household. My niece has celiacs and she is over often (almost daily) so while i do have Gluten in the house, i practice non contamination (butter, mayo, pans, etc...) and usually cook GF.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Cross contamination CAN be avoided, but you must be diligent! Separate pans, separate containers of butter, separate jars of pb and mayo... special cutting boards, etc... i put a piece of neon yellow duct tape on everything that must remain GF that is in the fridge. I keep my GF pans in a separate cabinet, etc...

Many people find it easiest to have a completely GF house, especiallybin the beginning.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Im GF and love the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook. It's got some fab healthy options. Also try thinking outside the box when it comes to carbs. You can wrap things in lettuce instead of buns, use veggies instead of rice or noodles, leave the crumbs out if meatloaf etc. Feel free to snoop my diary.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease. I was diagnosed over a decade ago so I am pretty used to it by now. At first it can seem daunting to give so many delicious things up, but it is so worth it to feel better. I would check out the forums on celiac.com. Celiac.org also has good recommendations for the newly diagnosed. I will give my two standard recommendations for GF products because it took a lot of trial and error to find them. For bread my favorite is Udi's Whole Grain (toasted) and for pasta my favorite is Tinkyada.

As far as weight loss, the rules don't change because you have Celiac. It all comes down to calories in< calories out. So eat what you like (as long as it is GF of course) and stick to the calorie goal set by MFP and you will lose weight.

Good luck! :)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Im GF and love the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook. It's got some fab healthy options.

That is one cookbook I like. I haven't tried a recipe that wasn't great although I have adapted some with the addition or subtraction of certain spices. It isn't a gf cookbook, but almost all the recipes are gf.
  • O2BNWA
    O2BNWA Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you all!