Favorite Meal Prep Idea?

Options
I'm usually only successful if I prep all my lunches for the week. If I don't, I get very easily lured into my cafe at work and make bad decisions. My go-to is turkey meatloaf or BBQ chicken tenderloins. I'm thinking about doing turkey meatballs this week.

What is your go-to for meal prep? Love hearing new ideas! Yes, I do go on Pinterest for ideas - just wondering what y'all do! :)

Replies

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Chicken and rice. Been eating this for lunch 90% of the time for the past many years. Different cooking methods and flavorings, as well as condiments, keeps it from being boring though it does happen time to time.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Chicken and rice. Been eating this for lunch 90% of the time for the past many years. Different cooking methods and flavorings, as well as condiments, keeps it from being boring though it does happen time to time.

Do you ever have a problem with your chicken drying out? I find that towards the end of the week my chicken doesn't seem as fresh.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Do you ever have a problem with your chicken drying out? I find that towards the end of the week my chicken doesn't seem as fresh.

Are you prepping a full week at a time? I read somewhere that 4 days should be the max for leftovers/prepping
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options

If you leave them in the supermarket packaging, it will dry out. Take the chicken out of its packaging and place it in some bowl of marinade. This will give you great tasting chicken and won't dry out. Or if no marinade, roll them in some oil before storing them.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My best is making extra at dinner and freezing some portions. Then I end up with variety.

Meatballs are always great to stock up on! I make tons (use smaller ice cream scoop to control portion) and freeze them. They reheat well to either eat alone, on pasta, on veggies, in a sandwich, in soup, etc. So much variety from 1 prep.
  • tristen_leigh
    Options

Are you prepping a full week at a time? I read somewhere that 4 days should be the max for leftovers/prepping

It depends on what I make. Usually I can't prep until Monday night anyway so it ends up only being 4 days. With chicken I only do 3 days max because it gets too dry. My turkey meatloaf last week stayed super yummy on day 4.
  • tristen_leigh
    Options

If you leave them in the supermarket packaging, it will dry out. Take the chicken out of its packaging and place it in some bowl of marinade. This will give you great tasting chicken and won't dry out. Or if no marinade, roll them in some oil before storing them.

Great ideas. I usually don't marinade anything so I will have to try that.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I food prep every Sunday for the week. This week was Chicken and Orzo ( http://www.carlsbadcravings.com/one-pot-italian-chicken-and-orzo-recipe/ ) and BBQ Meatloaf ( http://77recipes.com/meatloaf-muffins-with-barbecue-sauce/) with Creamed Cauliflower.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I toss a package of chicken in the slow cooker with a little water and white wine on the weekend and cook on low till it falls apart. I also precook ground turkey and onion. Then I'll toss either of those on a quick salad, with rice and peas, in a tortilla with some egg and avocado, in broth with mixed veg for soup, etc.
  • x3_kayyneww
    x3_kayyneww Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I loveeeeee meal prepping chili! Or slow cooker chicken fajitas :) just pour over a bed of lettuce, YUM!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I meal prep on Sundays, mainly using my crockpot and 2 pounds of chicken. This week was 1 bottle of franks red hot, 8 oz cream cheese, and chicken. I threw it over rice and put some green beans on the side. It made 6 lunches; 3 for me, 3 for husband.

Leftover chicken tastes very funky to me; making it in the crockpot with a bunch of flavoring takes that funkiness out.
  • 4pancakes
    4pancakes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like casseroles. They usely warm up well. Most recently I made a chicken, wild rice, and broccoli with cheese casserole and froze it in single serving containers.
  • georgifconnor2122
    Options
    I am enjoying paella this week.... I do my prep on a Sunday for every weekday.

I alternate from a meat dish one week to vegetable soup the next week.

This means next week will be butternut squash, sweet potato & chilli soup.

The following week may be pulled pork?
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    rlhax0xj5508.jpeg
    I have been on a salad kick lately. I make 5 mason jars of salads on Sunday night to get me through the week. This week is 1 shrimp, 1 tuna and 3 chicken.
  • tzkully
    tzkully Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Great ideas. I usually don't marinade anything so I will have to try that.

Definitely marinade... Completely changes the taste. I will have a few different on hand at all times even like it marinated in a low cal Italian dressing or a soy sauce and beer.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I cook a bunch of chicken breast in the pressure cooker w/ some salsa until I can shred it. Lots of people use the slow cooker instead, same idea. I eat this several times over the next week for burrito bowls. And, I love it on top of shredded raw cabbage (crunch!).

HB eggs and steel cut oats for breakfasts (the oats freeze fine)

homemade hummus & lots of raw veggies

chili, soups, casseroles.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options

It depends on what I make. Usually I can't prep until Monday night anyway so it ends up only being 4 days. With chicken I only do 3 days max because it gets too dry. My turkey meatloaf last week stayed super yummy on day 4.

@tristen_leigh try this recipe for NON-dry chicken breasts, http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-36891

They keep in ziploc or glass containers 4-5 days.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    jyvonne27 wrote: »
    rlhax0xj5508.jpeg
    I have been on a salad kick lately. I make 5 mason jars of salads on Sunday night to get me through the week. This week is 1 shrimp, 1 tuna and 3 chicken.

Wow! That's fantastic. Do the vegetables stay crisp in the jar?
  • gin_7
    gin_7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love turkey meatballs!!!!!! I prep those. I do chicken and veggies. I only do 4 days. But I also only work 4 days a week. Crockpot is great!!! I use it for pulled pork;)
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips! I am going to try that chicken and orzo. I just prepped tonight. I made a cheater tortilla espanola from this recipe, but I added a medium sauteed onion. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/23096/nans-potato-and-egg-frittata/