Has anyone tried or planning to try the blood sugar diet?

Options
Hi - I am mid 50's with about two stone to lose, and for health reasons am interested to attempt the blood sugar diet and track my progress on Fitness Pal. Has anyone else tried or maybe planning to try this particular plan and would be interested to buddy up? I have a really busy work life and stay away four nights a week, so struggle to stay organised and plan well. I'd be glad to hear fom people with a similar journey/plan/goals. I want to hit my target of losing 30lbs by June 1st 2016.

Replies

• BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosie, I am doing this at the moment (with some leeway for weekends!). Have you started yet? I am 60 yrs and aim to lose about another 20kg.
  • rosie99cats
    rosie99cats Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Badgerlamb (love that!) no, haven't started yet - am gearing up to start this weekend and am aiming for 900-1000 cals daily this week as practice to get my head round it. I have the book - makes a lot of sense to me.
    How are you finding it? I'm thinking there will need to be some weekend flexibility as well, as i go home on Thursdays and spend 3 nights with my husband (snack monster....) who also wants to lose about 10lbs of extra tummy.
  • BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm not finding it too bad - I was doing 5:2 for a while so 800 calls is better than 500! I generally eat most of my calories for dinner, with a light lunch or an apple earlier in the day. Living in France my main issues are bread, wine and cheese...
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Please consult your doctor before consuming such a low calorie amount--it's not enough nutrients to keep your body functioning if you were in a coma. You'll lose lean body mass which in the end will hurt your health. And what happens when you begin to eat normally again? MFP is about developing sustainable habits to maintain a healthy weight for life, not crash dieting.

Just to let you know, promoting VLCD (Vert Low Calorie Diets) is against MFP guidelines. Which if you're saying you're only going to eat 800-1000 calories a day is what you're doing.

Good luck and please take care!
  • rosie99cats
    rosie99cats Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not promoting it - I'm interested to try it, and the science in the book is well evidenced and sourced, and covers all those issues you mention. I am prediabetic. It was my doctor that suggested it. I'm also a clinical psychologist, so I do know how to evaluate research.
    Badgerlamb, my husband and I are planning to retire to France so I completely understand the problems with wine cheese and bread..... :-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ah never mind. I was thinking of another 'diet'.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm almost afraid to ask.... What's the "Blood Sugar Diet"?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would honestly be surprised if it was real science vs. "Dr. Oz science". That low of calories is not good for you and will kill your metabolism. All you have to do is get your body in a 20% calorie deficit and eat balanced, you will lose weight. I hope you stay healthy and find success.
  • marquisbob
    marquisbob Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have read the book and the science behind it does seem well evidenced. The diet is intended for 8 weeks max to turn around pre-diabetics or recent diabetics and after the period of restricted calories you should then go on to the 5:2 diet plan.
  • ianblackburn
    ianblackburn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would honestly be surprised if it was real science vs. "Dr. Oz science". That low of calories is not good for you and will kill your metabolism. All you have to do is get your body in a 20% calorie deficit and eat balanced, you will lose weight. I hope you stay healthy and find success.

I would recommend reading the book, and look at the scientific evidence. For example the widely quoted "starvation mode" has more scientific evidence against it than for (for example: "Resting energy expenditure in short-term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine. C Zauner et al, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2000." http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1511.full)

There is so much information that gets quoted with no scientific backing that I now will not accept anything without sound scientific evidence behind it. This book is science led and worth a read.

Without trying to be contentions statements like "All you have to do is get your body in a 20% calorie deficit and eat balanced, you will lose weight" are not that helpful and much more in the "Dr. Oz science" bracket than this book is!

Cheers

Ian

• GeertH
    GeertH Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I would recommend reading the book, and look at the scientific evidence. For example the widely quoted "starvation mode" has more scientific evidence against it than for (for example: "Resting energy expenditure in short-term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine. C Zauner et al, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2000." http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1511.full)

There is so much information that gets quoted with no scientific backing that I now will not accept anything without sound scientific evidence behind it. This book is science led and worth a read.

Without trying to be contentions statements like "All you have to do is get your body in a 20% calorie deficit and eat balanced, you will lose weight" are not that helpful and much more in the "Dr. Oz science" bracket than this book is!

Cheers

Ian

The reason "starvation mode" was labeled as a myth is because people incorrectly invoked it for low or moderate caloric restrictions, or misunderstood it. You may have heard things like "the reason I'm not losing weight is because my metabolism slows down", or "I should actually eat more to lose weight" (not kidding about that one). Folks who weren't properly tracking calories, had snacks on the side, gave up, overestimated TDEE or any of the myriad problems were blaming it on "starvation mode". So a backlash occurred and it was taken out back and shot as a misrepresentation of the results of the Minnesota experiment.

Unfortunately such counter-reactions can occlude underlying truths and become too severe, so situations where it actually does apply are now also washed away in the "myth" backlash.

Severe caloric restriction leads to a decline in resting metabolic rate beyond what can be expected to be the result of only fat and lean tissue loss. Even worse, this persists beyond weight loss and for an extended time when caloric restriction is reduced again, leading to a rebound effect and weight gain when someone then starts eating what should be suitable for their new body composition. You want the science? Here you go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6694559
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/4/906.long
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3387402/

The ketogenic diet was originally devised as a treatment for epilepsy. This "blood sugar diet" is apparently a tool for helping pre-diabetics and original diabetics. People should stop using such diets which may have serious side-effects when their conditions do not match what those diets were created for. They should stop crash diets when long-term success depends on proper behavioral adjustments and these very-low-calorie approaches even set them up for future failure to maintain their new weight.

You're saying maintaining a 20% deficit and eating balanced is more "Dr. Oz science" than letting people do some diet that's not even intended for them? Are you for real? When eating balanced will avoid problems that may occur with very low carb or other bizarre diets that radically cut out specific nutrients? When a small or moderate deficit maintained over time is easier to adhere to, builds sustainable habits and has shown time and time again to work?

People, don't do fad diets for simple weight loss if you don't have a serious condition. If they were so great they would be the final answer to weight loss. The reason people are so excited about them is because they do work at first to the point that caloric restriction is maintained, for some they work really well because they align with their preferences and some physical aspects, and there's a strong survivorship bias.

EDIT: oh, and by the way, the study you linked is irrelevant to the discussion because it observes effects on the short term (84 hours, to be specific) and this diet is to be maintained for 8 weeks. For someone who demands scientific backing you are engaging in scientific misconduct by trying to debunk starvation response using a study that has a radically different conditions from the subject at hand.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Cheers

Ian

Well Ian you are wrong. You do only need to be in a calorie deficit and there is so much scientific study to prove it I think siting the studies is silly.
  • Maywin
    Maywin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just cut out bread, potatoes, pasta and anything made with flour such as cakes, pastry etc. That's all you need to do to lower blood sugar levels. I've done it and amazed my doctor with the results. Absolutely no need to cut calories to such a low level.