Best Proven Method For Weightloss At Age 60

Options
Okay, so I'm turning 59 in 3 days. I have been telling myself that I need to lose weight, a lot of it, for the last 9 years but I haven't followed through. I have on occasion lost up to 20 lbs only to gain it back within a year or so. I thinks it's because I need to lose about 100 lbs and it seems daunting and overwhelming. Part of my problem is that I'm a wine drinker. I can eat well all day and then ruin the day with a bottle of wine at night and of course, with the wine comes snacking.
I'm determined this time. My health is good, no meds, only time ever in the hospital was for child birth, 30 years ago. I want to lose weight and gain some muscle by the time I reach 60. I hate the gym, so I won't do that. I like to row, walk and garden so that is my exercise of choice.
I think I need some support to get me to follow through each day with my plan to eat well, exercise and not drink. I'm not an addict so giving it up won't be that big a deal. Can you be a support? Can you give some advice as to the best way for a person my age to lose weight?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am 64. I joined MFP 3/12/12 and went on to lose 160 pounds and have been on maintenance for a little over 2 years.

Best advice I can give you is keep accurate track of everything you eat and drink, and make sure you are burning more calories than you eat. Eat less calories than you burn. Weigh, measure and log all of your food and beverages. Move more and don't ever give up. If I can do it, believe me, anyone can.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The best and only way to lose weight it through a calorie deficit.

Weigh and measure all food you eat. Accurately log it. Make sure you are in a deficit (eat what mfp tells you to). Get some exercise (and eat back half those calories too).

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

It's the way a human being works, at any age.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch is 62 and has a very inspirational post here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35521115/#Comment_35521115

I found the Cognitive Behavioral techniques I learned from the few Smart Recovery and Rational Recovery meetings I went to back in the 90s helpful. I was a heavy drinker then and now can drink when I want, which for me is a few times a year, as I can't afford the calories from the wine plus the snacking, so just drink on special occasions.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I know some will say "just fit it into your calories" but a bottle of wine is 500+ calories and it is hard to fit that in and still get sufficient nutrition from food. Do you have to drink the whole bottle? Only you can answer this, if not to us then at least to yourself. If you can drink less, but you don't want to because, well, you like wine, then you have to decide what you want more. It is totally your choice whether losing weight is worth giving up or reducing an enjoyable part of your lifestyle.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is ok to have a glass of wine, or anything else you want to eat or drink. Just work it into your daily calories.
    It has been my experience, over the past 4 years, all things in moderation.
    If this is going to work, we need a plan that will work for us in the long term, not just while losing the weight.
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    First you need to get in the right frame of mind to succeed. Without that nothing we say or advice and encouragement we give will get you to your goal.

I had to really think about what it was I really wanted....I chose to lose weight. Also being realistic with weight loss goals and exercise was very important aspects of my weight loss journey. I also suggest you invest in a food scale as it really helped me be accountable to myself. Not everyday will be hard, in fact as I got into the rhythm of dieting things got easier for me. The first couple of months I new I could not go out to eat at a restaurant as I new I would not have any self control. So I avoided that temptation. Also I pre- log my food for the day, helped keep my calories in check. Not thinking about what to eat on an empty stomach helps.

I have lost 66 pounds so far and am 4 pounds from goal. If I can do this so can you.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I will be 60 in August. Counting calories, logging my meals, practicing moderation and making logical and informed choices are key to my success at weight loss. I enjoy an occasional glass of wine, occasional chocolate, occasional whatever because I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan, and you know what he said - "A (wo)mans got to know his limitations"!!!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. You can't get there, with the amount you drink, at least not in a healthy manner.
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am 59 i weigh 253 january 22 i weigh 266 started MFP that day want to be as my name says slim by 60 want to weigh 170 by January 22 i am 5feet 11. doing good so far log in every day and stay within my calorie goal.At first i had put in for 2 pounds per week for loss but the 1300 calories to less so changed to 1 and a half a week have 1500 calories much better will take a whole year to get to goal. but learning it is a journey to enjoy it and learn i use a lot of the recipes here and it is working out. just keep logging and keep at calorie count even if go over with wine alot soon you might not fill you have to have it when you see you can keep calorie s in toe keep trying
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm so 62, started CICO in December of 2014. As of today I've lost 77 pounds with 8 to go. Anything is ok in moderation, just be honest with yourself and log everything.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and cancer.
    That might help a bit.
    One drink a night is ok. 5 ounces.
    http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/alcohol/alcohol-fact-sheet
  • Sonyavdg
    Sonyavdg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Calories in calories out is the only way. How you do that is up to you. I was drinking 1 - 3 beers most days. For me adding 200 - 300 calories a day from exercise, and reducing alcohol to make up another 200 - 300 a day (on average) was the easiest way to get a 500 calorie deficit. It leaves room for a drink or two a couple of times a week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started just after my 59th birthday. I logged food and worked out with a personal trainer. At this point in life it is extra important to retain muscle mass as we lose weight and strength training is the way to do this. You don't have to strength train to lose weight, but yes to retain muscle mass.

The proven method of weight loss is a calorie deficit. Log your food, follow all the advice given here about how to do that. Read the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum Lots of good info in those. You can lose as much as you need to. Age is no limitation.

SW 301
    CW 169
    GW 150
    20 months.
  • kcphobo
    kcphobo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and added 10 lbs last year and like you decided to get serious about losing it, plus more weight I'd been meaning to lose for years. I also was a nightly wine drinker and my success absolutely depended on giving up that habit since a glass of wine often led to 2 and lots of snacking. I'm strict with my MFP calorie limit, use the diary as a way to plan my calories for the day, and never miss a day of logging even when I miss the mark. I was surprised that I was happy to skip the wine since then I could have a handful of almonds or other healthy snack - sometimes a few squares of dark chocolate - at the end of the day. It really helps for me to plan snack foods to get through the afternoons like fruit and pb, hummus and carrots, almonds, and my daughter suggested roasted seaweed for a salty treat. No fast food, no bread, few packaged foods. I've lost 8 lbs in 5 weeks. I stray now and then, and enjoy a drink with friends, but feel like I've replaced bad habits with good eating that will pay off in the long run.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    You have had great advise from every one above me.

I too love my wine and hate the gym, but believe it or not I limited my wine to a glass a night most nights, and forced myself to go to the gym. I started 3 x a week then got to 5x a week. I still go, I know it is good for me.

Weight training has been mentioned a couple of times and I just want to say it is a good thing to do as you lose. It helps in bone and muscle retention.

Weigh and measure everything. Start with what you eat now and slowly work down to the MFP recommendation. You won't find it as difficult to reduce your calories that way.
    Do remember to eat back any exercise calories. It is the way MFP is set up to work the best.

Cheers, h.
  • msjanetcole
    msjanetcole Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Age 61 cancer survivor, diabetic, high blood pressure, off all meds after losing over 100 pounds since starting MFP in 2013. I use stationary bike in gym almost exclusively. Now, living on the ocean front, also walking on the beach as I have time.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Age 64, 4 yrs of Type II Diabetes, my high was 265. I was watching my A1C rising and realized that I had to do something. Bought a Fitness Tracker, joined the gym, Nutrisystem, joined MFP, logged everything that enters my mouth. I'm down to 188 with 13 pounds to go. According to my most recent labs, no evidence of diabetes. Bought a weight set for those times that I can't hit the gym. Step by step.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Reality check. At 100 pounds overweight and almost 60 your health is not good, you are a ticking time bomb. Sorry to be blunt but facts are facts.

As others have said consuming fewer calories than you but is the only way to get rid of the weight. Dropping or significantly cutting back on thr wine and related snacks would be a good place to start.

Best of luck..
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's not going to magically happen. You need a plan. And if you are already rowing, walking & gardening you need to clearly understand that this will require taking your activity up a notch.
    First off, you can't out walk or out row several hundred calories of wine a night. I have reduced my alcohol consumption in two ways: when I drink I pre log exactly what I can drink... one glass of wine, two glasses, two beers, half a bottle of bubbly... whatever. Prelog it & there are no surprises. If snacking is a problem prelig that too. And of course WEIGH it all. Those are exactly the kind of gray area calories that will sink you if you are not super fastidious. And I now have 4 non drinking nights, M-Th. That helps me a lot.
    When I got serious last August I learned I was already walking 10k steps a day most days. So I set a goal of 100k steps a week. You need goals. And it's very easy to overestimate on the gardening. I don't count that unless it's something very strenuous that causes me to miss a regularly scheduled workout, like removing a stump or spreading mulch. Normal gardening & housekeeping figure into your TDEE. Don't double dip.
    Find a deficit that works for you. Dont go crazy trying to make your 60th bday deadline. You've said yourself you're 9 years overdue. This is the rest of your life your are talking about. Go slow. Get it right.
    Best to you! Once you start you will find it can be very gratifying. xoL