What effect does drinking a lot of water have on your diet?

Options
strido
strido Posts: 11 Member
I know it's a silly question because we all know that drinking water is good for you in general, and crucial when dieting, but I always wondered why! I'm the type of person that forgets to drink water until she's actually thirsty, and I don't even have other drinks instead, I just forget! I figured that if I knew why drinking 8 cups a day is good for me scientifically speaking when it comes to being on a diet, then I would do it more easily!
Thanks in advance to those who have an answer!

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    If you drink calorie free drinks, you're taking in less calories.

It makes some people feel fuller. Although, I question this, because unless you were dehydrated before or overhydrating now, you'd probably be drinking something close to the same amount.

It cleanses the body and hydrates
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    •Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
    •The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
    •Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
    •Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
    •Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
    •A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
    •Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    it keeps you hydrated and from retaining water from any sodium that is consumed throughout the day...not a scientific answer, but the only way i know to explain it.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    other things have calories... diet sodas dont but they're packed with sugars and what not so they're not even better for you. log all the other drinks you have and count the calories...you'll realize how many empty calories your drinking. people often don't log them and so they'll say "oh i met my 1200 calorie goal" without thinking they've consumed 300 calories if they've had a few cokes during the day.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Flushes toxins from the body like sodium being one and can keep you full.
  • Wolffeathers
    Options
    Also to add, that most drinks, even diet, are high in sodium. Sodium retains water, which shows up on the scale (in the last two days, just cutting my DIET soda to dinner, I've dropped a pound, because of all the water I was retaining)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I've also read that improper hydration leads to more cellulite formation.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Your body will hold onto water weight if it feels like it's not getting enough. Drinking alot actually helps you to not hold onto that water weight.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    There are many sides to the water issue.

I went to a nutritionist some time back and she said that 1 CUP OF WATER FOR EVERY 25 lbs of body weight was a good rule of thumb, Why would water have a one-size fits all answer when no other dietary criteria does?

(Now this is 3rd hand, but...) Also a friend of mine was talking to the daughter of a GASTRIC BYPASS SURGEON. It seems the Dr.'s opinion was that water fills you up short-term, but actually stretches out your stomach, so long-term you'll be hungry as ever.

Now, I've also read articles on how when you get to over be 60-65 your less apt to recognize that you are thirsty. Dehydration is much more common in the elder.

Now water does a lot of wonderful thing for say brain function and cleansing toxins from our systems. So those are kind of important.

A recent article on Yahoo News mention water in relation to weight ...
    "it won’t automatically make you lose weight if you’re not changing any other habits. A University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill study found that people who regularly drink water eat nearly 200 fewer calories daily than those who consume only coffee, tea, or soda. And if you sip water instead of sugary drinks, the calories you’ve saved will help shed pounds.

Drinking ice-cold water can help you burn more calories too. German researchers found that drinking 6 cups of cold water a day raised resting metabolism by about 50 calories daily—possibly because of the work it takes to warm the fluid up to body temperature. It’s up to you to decide whether 50 calories is worth guzzling ice water—or whether it would be easier just to take the stairs."

bottom line is I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK EITHER.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    water helps your skin with elesticity, so if i didnt drink enough water, id have to worry about a ton of loose skin when im done.

It helps your skin in other ways as well; clearer skin, more even coloring.

I no longer have to use chalp stick now that im drinking enough water (and before i couldnt leave home without chalp stick on me).

Any other drinks you drink, even zero calorie, all have sodium, fake sugar, chemicals, caffeine, etc and pollute your body. anything with sodium helps you bloat, caffeine depletes your water, chemicals and fake sugar can lead to cancer, etc.

you flush out excess sodium and fat cells when you pee. without flushing out the toxins, you can have alot of trouble losing weight..and can go up several pounds in water weight (caused by sodium retintion).

Helps with appetite.

and last but not least, it makes u get your *kitten* off the couch or up away from my desk, because i have to go refill my water bottle, and use the restroom, more often than before....and ive lost all my weight by just being more active than before and havent hardly done any excercise since i started here.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I have never been a water drinker either -- or a large amount of any fluids. Since I started MFP, I purchased a 32 oz water bottle. I take it to work with me and drink one full bottle there and then drink another when I get home. This helps me to get the amount of water in that I need. I have to force myself to drink--however, the more I drink water, the more I have been needing more. After the first week, I have got the water thing down--which I thought would be one of my hardest adjustments.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    when you are losing weight your body is metabolizing fat that it has stored; getting rid of the additional waste makes your kidneys work harder. drinking water reduces the concentration of waste your kidneys have to process and makes it easier for them to do their job.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My no BS answer simplified.

Every cellular and biological process that happens in the body either is a result of, produces, or requires water to happen.

That's the simple answer.

As you can see...there are much more complicated answers...
  • strido
    strido Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you Wanetam for such an elaborate answer, it's exactly what I needed to understand what happens in your body when drinking water! I don't ever drink sodas or juices, and I need to have more discipline when it comes to drinking water, just like I have discipline when I exercise! I'll bring a big bottle to work with me tomorrow and will fill it up during the day:) Thank you again wonderful MFP people!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    because we are primarily made up of water, our bodies require it to function properly. without proper water, our liver has to work doubletime and do the job of our kidneys, our bodies can't burn fat as well, and our skin looks like crap because it's got no moisture to look all hot and supple. water also helps me poop :D

Or, listen to The_Saint. He's got the simple answer down to a science :D
  • PaigeMcCane
    Options
    Its kind of funny when I heard my professor lecture about water intake. She said that you're supposed to consume about 8 cups of water total. So this includes water from drinking and from foods. But don't over-consume water. Yes, there is such a thing. Too much water causes electrolyte imbalances and although sodium makes us bloated, we don't want it completely gone since it has such a vital role with action potentials and nervous signals (sodium/potassium pumps). So water is your friend, but don't drown yourself.

And contrary to popular belief, your urine should be light straw colored, not clear.
  • TriumphantLife
    TriumphantLife Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Water also helps flush the fat and toxins. It does wonders for your skin too!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ieatyarn
    ieatyarn Posts: 5
    Options
    The one thing that keeps me drinking water is this: if you're even slightly dehydrated, your metabolism drops to conserve energy. No one wants a slow metabolism, now do they?