Protein powder

Options
I need something for women with no whey or soy. Curbs hunger and doesn't have extra junk in it. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Why not food?

If you can't get enough protein without using protein powder, perhaps your protein goal is set too high?
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There are some proteins made from hemp and peas that are pretty high quality but don't usually taste as good.
  • FabulousFathlete
    Options
    Seska422 I'm a triathlete trying to slim down and use it for meal replacement as well as post work out nutrition . I need high protein and can't do dairy anymore.
  • shaikha55
    shaikha55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am taking Pulsin Brown rice protein.. Not the best tasting but it's decent when bleanded with other things
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Try Whey Isolate instead of regular Whey Concentrate. It doesn't have lactose, so most
    folks do fine on it! :)

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Seska422 I'm a triathlete trying to slim down and use it for meal replacement as well as post work out nutrition . I need high protein and can't do dairy anymore.

With all the greatest of respect, a "protein shake" is not suitable as a meal replacement, especially if you're putting your body through the stresses of training/competing in triathlons.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    https://truenutrition.com/default.aspx

Go to that site. You can customize your protein blend (soy free, paleo, vegan etc), sweetener and flavor.
  • canayjun
    canayjun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts are very good and have high protein, 10g per 3 tbsp, and omega 3, add to pretty much anything - nutty flavour
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You probably don't need enough protein to require a suppliment unless you are on a low protein diet otherwise. As someone who is running but probably not a full time endurance athlete I would say you wouldn't need more than .6g of protein per pound of body weight, and tops .7g/lb. You should be able to do that with chicken, tuna, lentils etc in your diet. Is there any particular reason you feel you need a suppliment?

If you really do then go with something with high amounts of leucine such as meat dervived or pea. Hemp hearts and rice don't have near as much leucine so aren't as good for those who want to maintain or build muscle.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

With all the greatest of respect, a "protein shake" is not suitable as a meal replacement, especially if you're putting your body through the stresses of training/competing in triathlons.

Very true, protein powder is just a suppliment for protein and not a meal replacement.
  • FabulousFathlete
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad that this exists for us to learn from each other.

• mandyloose123
    mandyloose123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to what I should be using as a protein \ meal replacement post workout. With so many things on the market, I am lost! I'm not looking for bulk but I want to build up muscle and burn fat. I don't eat much throughout the day and I know its hurting my results. I just want a good solid shake that gets it all done :blush: any ideas?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm confused as to what I should be using as a protein \ meal replacement post workout. With so many things on the market, I am lost! I'm not looking for bulk but I want to build up muscle and burn fat. I don't eat much throughout the day and I know its hurting my results. I just want a good solid shake that gets it all done :blush: any ideas?

Meal timing isn't exactly a huge issue, the window for protein absorption is around 24 hours after stimulation so really you don't need anything right after but most people are hungry so just eat a high protein meal if you are so inclined. There is no reason to worry about supplements let alone the "right" supplement unless it's just easier or you like them, then the right answer is to choose whichever you like best as a shake or something like chocolate milk or cottage cheese works well.
  • mandyloose123
    mandyloose123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OK. That makes it a whole lot less confusing! Thank You :smile:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

EAS Complete Nutrition proves a large protein punch AND the nutritional value of a meal replacement such as Boost or Ensure.
  • jmgranner
    jmgranner Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fiber is for loosing fat and gain muscle get protected from cholesterol and diabetes.
    While probiotics introduce good bacteria into the gut, prebiotics act as a fertilizer for the good bacteria that’s already there.

[edited by MFP Moderator]