Late night snacking!

Options
samiraeh08
samiraeh08 Posts: 43 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am always able to stick to my diet during the day, but after I finish my dinner, I'm almost alway craving more food! Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do to avoid snacking?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Same problem. So I always save a lot of calories for the evening.
  • helensexton27
    helensexton27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink a flavored water. Propel has some yummy ones. If I have calories left, I don't use exercise calories, I eat animals crackers or fruit. I am like you, I want a good snack before bed.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make sure I budget for an evening snack, and then keep appropriate choices like popcorn, homemade kale chips, fresh fruit, and fruit Popsicles on hand so I can enjoy them without too much guilt
  • lillemeddy85
    lillemeddy85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I keep diet hot cocoa (Swiss Miss Light - 25 cal) or chocorite (sugar free chocolate - 115 cal per bar) in the house for chocolate cravings. Hard candy such as dumdum lolipops for other sweet cravings. Popcorn, pickles, olives or carrots dipped in mustard for salty cravings. I also load up on caffeine free tea sweetened with stevia. It helps! :)
  • samiraeh08
    samiraeh08 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make sure I budget for an evening snack, and then keep appropriate choices like popcorn, homemade kale chips, fresh fruit, and fruit Popsicles on hand so I can enjoy them without too much guilt

Thank you! I'll have to look into the kale chips and fruit popcicles ☺
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just had this discussion with my diet coach, sometimes I just want to eat junk because I have the calories left. I'm going to try to stick with healthy choices like frozen fruit, nuts, boiled egg or I just made a batch of protein balls and keep them in my freezer. Tea also helps with sweet cravings. Just give yourself a cut off time. For me no eating after 7
  • weightaminutenow
    weightaminutenow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Red13 I'm curious as to what protein balls are? I'm also a night time snacker.
  • saraalhindi7
    saraalhindi7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink a lots of water until u sleep
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Red13 I'm curious as to what protein balls are? I'm also a night time snacker.

There are tons of recipes put there for many different flavors, I used a scoop of protein powder, some vanilla extract because I have plain powder, 2 tbs peanut butter, 1 tbs honey, a packet of stevia and some ground flax. Stir together and add little bit of milk until you can roll it together. This made 7 balls and are roughly 70 Cals each. Experiment! Many diff options out there!
  • farbs
    farbs Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd be cautious to avoid snacking late, if that's what you really like to do. It may set you up for failure. I agree, and do, what other people have said and that is budget for it. I like to have a glass of wine or two at night once the kids are in bed, so I make sure I've got some calories left to do that - I find it much easier to go without earlier in the day knowing you've got that treat before bed.

Good luck :)
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Same problem. So I always save a lot of calories for the evening.

Haha This is my life! I am currently eating some chips and Organic Jacks Cantina Salsa while reading through this thread. I love an evening snack... maybe with a small cup of tea or water. I go through my day knowing that I want that snack.

OP: I do want to stress that I never sacrifice something I need for my evening snack though. I never skip a meal or a midday snack, allowing myself to feel week or ill, in order to eat that midnight snack. It's all carefully planned.

I did it because, for me, it's my alone time. As a mother of two little boys, I am constantly chasing them around all day, and they only ever want mommy. Once they are in bed, I get to chill with MFP, youtube, or other forms of entertainment, and enjoy a private snack that isn't interrupted by "what are you eating? Can I try?" haha

It's the same as not giving up the things that I enjoy, but budgeting to allow for them on occasion. Allowing myself to have that cookie or treat, that latte, or go out for a meal, etc.. but knowing I'll have to plan for it, work out a bit more, or carefully move things around. It's all about making this something you can do forever. :smiley:

If you love to eat a late snack, go for it. If you don't normally eat one and find that you are just too hungry and need one, I'd try going over your daily foods and see where you might be neglecting something (protein is a big one). You might also be eating too few calories. If you haven't already, I always suggest googling BMR and TDEE calculators, using a few, and finding a number that works for you in that range.

Good luck!

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I actually dont' eat my first meal until about noon - 1 pm most days. I have a snack somewhere between 4-5 pm, and my second meal at around 7:30-8 pm. To be honest, I'm' usually quite hungry by 1 am. I've learned to simply budget food for a late-night meal/snack (300-400 calories).

Yes, my life has some weird hours.