Yoga for weight loss?

Options
I'm doing yoga on my "rest" days, and I was just wondering if yoga is good for weight loss? It doesn't seem to burn that many calories, so it would seem I would need to eat a whole lot less to make it work for me if I only wanted to do yoga.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yoga is good for flexibility and mental health. As a way of burning calories, not so much.
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    1ProudHappyWife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I thought, lol. I am currently going through some DOMS, so the yoga felt amazing. I didn't think it would help to only do yoga when I'm trying to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do yoga as a part of my overall fitness plan...for which the purpose is fitness...exercise in and of itself can make weight management easier, but it all comes down to consumption.

I cycle around 80 miles per week and lift a few days per week and do yoga once or twice per week and walk my dog, etc...I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of that...the difference in my weight wasn't my exercise, it was how much I was consuming.

Do your yoga, it's good for you...but your weight loss is 99.9% your diet.
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    Options
    I've been really watching what I eat, but sometimes I'm way under my goal. Actually under 1000 calories. :/ I do my best to actually get to 1200, but it's hard sometimes.

I've been doing body combat. :) I want to start lifting, but I don't really have the money to invest in equipment. I have a couple dumbbells, so I use those.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Look up Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior... believe me, you will burn calories.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yoga is excellent tool for flexibility and can be very beneficial for other forms of exercise.

But just like lifting weights it doesn't burn many calories though I find it excellent coupled with lifting heavy to give me full ROM and less aches and pains in this old body.
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    Options
    Look up Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior... believe me, you will burn calories.

I will check him out, lol. Thanks. :smile:
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Yoga is excellent tool for flexibility and can be very beneficial for other forms of exercise.

But just like lifting weights it doesn't burn many calories though I find it excellent coupled with lifting heavy to give me full ROM and less aches and pains in this old body.

Less aches and pains is what I'm hoping for too. Lol
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    Options
    I'm averaging about 300 cal a day when I'm not on a rest day. :) I definitely haven't been relying on biting cal to lose weight, but I am definitely trying to get fit and not "skinny fat". :)

Thank you all for your comments. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you try vinyasa yoga, you might burn more calories. it is a little bit more aerobic as it's about the flow and not holding static poses. shiva rea has some good dvds
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    if you try vinyasa yoga, you might burn more calories. it is a little bit more aerobic as it's about the flow and not holding static poses. shiva rea has some good dvds

Thank you so much. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would say if you're having a hard time reaching 1200 cals a day (to the tune of being 1000 UNDER?), finding a way to burn MORE cals probably isn't a good idea. Depending on how accurate your calorie counts are, both in and out, make sure you're not under-eating. You want a small calorie deficit, not a cavernous one. :)

Also, yoga is awesome - I sometimes do a 5 minute yoga-inspired stretch on my rest days, or in the evening when I'm feeling a little stiff or sore from the morning's workout. Some days I do a longer yoga workout - definitely part of my fitness. :smile:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Yoga never did it for me weight loss-wise, though it was and is wonderful for my back. I still do it, and Pilates.
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    I would say if you're having a hard time reaching 1200 cals a day (to the tune of being 1000 UNDER?), finding a way to burn MORE cals probably isn't a good idea. Depending on how accurate your calorie counts are, both in and out, make sure you're not under-eating. You want a small calorie deficit, not a cavernous one. :)

Also, yoga is awesome - I sometimes do a 5 minute yoga-inspired stretch on my rest days, or in the evening when I'm feeling a little stiff or sore from the morning's workout. Some days I do a longer yoga workout - definitely part of my fitness. :smile:

I've been really paying attention and making sure I accurately log everything. I'm definitely hitting 1000 cal now lol. :)

I really enjoy doing yoga on my "rest days". It really seems to help with muscle soreness.

I think I'm going to do some yoga right now...lol.
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Yoga never did it for me weight loss-wise, though it was and is wonderful for my back. I still do it, and Pilates.

I have a Pilates machine, but I didn't really enjoy Pilates as much. :) I do enjoy yoga though :smile: