Getting Frustrated

Options
For about a year I've been consistently lifting heavy, with some cardio, and some HIIT. Since starting to lift heavy I haven't really seen any good results. Recently I've been diagnosed with Anemia and im on some iron supplements to bring up my ferritin levels.

I've had my calories as low as 1300-1400 a day to about 1900-2000 a day, and everything in between and I just can't get any inches really to come off. I got a fitbit charge hr for christmas and its been showing me I burn roughly 2300-2500 calories a day.

I was following the eatmore2weigh less thing and it hasn't really been working for me either. Eating 1900+ calories was making my stomach hurt and making me really tired. If I keep it around 1600 then i feel ok. But still just can't get the pounds or the inches to come off. My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary I'm afraid.

However, with everything else being on point, such as your logging, if you aren't losing pounds or inches, or improving aesthetically in regards to fat loss, then you aren't in a calorie deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh solid foods and measure liquids as well as verify the correctness of the entry? Usually it comes down to logging errors, either eating more than you think of burning less than you estimate.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Can't see your diary I'm afraid.

However, with everything else being on point, such as your logging, if you aren't losing pounds or inches, or improving aesthetically in regards to fat loss, then you aren't in a calorie deficit.

Sorry about that, thought i had it open. Now its open.

Its hard to figure out my numbers. Nothing was moving really at 1600 and nothing was moving at 2000. I know my doc told me that having extremely low ferritin can trigger slow to no weight loss, but my energy levels are coming back up now.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how often you are changing your plans. But that can make it hard to judge by results. When you eat 1600, and felt good, were you using a food scale and logging accurately? If Fitbit shows you burning 2300-2500, assuming it could be off by 5-10% (nothing is 100% and I am a Fitbit fan!) then 1600 is probably a good intake level.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Do you weigh solid foods and measure liquids as well as verify the correctness of the entry? Usually it comes down to logging errors, either eating more than you think of burning less than you estimate.

I do weigh my solid foods, and measure the liquid ones.

Now i have my settings to lose 1lb a week but am a little confused with the daily activities. I drive a bus for a living, but I workout an hour a day, 5 days a week. So what should I have that set to?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how often you are changing your plans. But that can make it hard to judge by results. When you eat 1600, and felt good, were you using a food scale and logging accurately? If Fitbit shows you burning 2300-2500, assuming it could be off by 5-10% (nothing is 100% and I am a Fitbit fan!) then 1600 is probably a good intake level.

Agreed.

OP, what are your height and weight?
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Agreed.

OP, what are your height and weight?

I'm 5'8 and 165 pounds. I bounce between 163-166
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    I also keep reading that when you eat too low for a considerable amount of time that you should eat at maintenance for 6-8 weeks. I don't think I can do that, but i also make sure I eat at least at my BMR level.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Bunk/woo/bro-science LOL.

How long have you been eating at 1600ish? That's the key. Note some medical conditions/medicines can impact metabolism and therefore the rate your body burns calories compared to the 'average human'. But if the medical issues are being addressed, giving 6-8 weeks of eating at a consistent level should give you data to work with.
    I also keep reading that when you eat too low for a considerable amount of time that you should eat at maintenance for 6-8 weeks. I don't think I can do that, but i also make sure I eat at least at my BMR level.

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm confused what is wanted here? Loss or bulk? Heavy weights?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

total bunk.

if you are not losing, you are not in a deficit.

your activity level should be set at sedentary, then log and eat back a potion of your exercise calories.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    I'm confused what is wanted here? Loss or bulk? Heavy weights?

Loss. Im around 30% BF and I would like to get down to about 20-22%.
  • lemonychild
    Options
    Loss... As u know u need a deficit, as everyone else said. If u have been At a deficit for a long time, I do agree u need to eat At maintenance because u need your leptin levels restored .. This is what I have learned from power lifters who eat at deficit that u need refeed days ... Ask on success forum "vismal" who as gone through it
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    Loss... As u know u need a deficit, as everyone else said. If u have been At a deficit for a long time, I do agree u need to eat At maintenance because u need your leptin levels restored .. This is what I have learned from power lifters who eat at deficit that u need refeed days ... Ask on success forum "vismal" who as gone through it

I do have one refeed day a week which usually ends up being Saturday nights.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Do you count those calories?
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Do you count those calories?

As best as I can. I try not to go over 30% of my daily cals for the day. Or I keep it at what maintenance would be.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    How much over my normal cals should I go on refeed days?
  • lemonychild
    Options
    25%more carbs .. I'd say on refeed but I do not think that that is the issue since u already have a refeed day. It's your regular day calories that are off, one way or another. Go on yT. Find IIFYM or flexible dieting
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Your daily activity as a bus driver is sedentary.
    You enter your exercise separately and eat back 50-75% of those calories. Your deficit is included in your base calories, so eat your exercise cals to fuel your workouts.
    If you wish to go off your Fitbit dropping 500cals will get you at a 1 lbs a week loss.

I have never found a re feed day necessary even when lifting.

Cheers, h.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    maybe get your resting metabolic rate tested if there's a center around you that does it. that'll set your mind more at ease with what calorie level you should be eating. otherwise, it's a guess like everyone else said. 1600 sounds about right though.