feel like binging....please review my diary!

Options
Hey guys! I have had problems with serious binge eating for as long as I can remember. I mean eating like easily 3,000 calories or more in a single bad binge with no problem.

I feel the serious urge to binge right now! I know that a lot of times I get binge triggered by not eating properly throughout the day.

If anyone feels like it, could you please review my diary for the day so far and tell me if it might be a food thing instead of an emotion thing?

One note: the tuna was actually the same brand and everything but the calories on my can were 90 calories per serving not 70 like the site said...so I just made it be the same amount of calories as I ate instead of typing the whole new food in the site.

I have been drinking water to try to hold off on the binge, and tried eating some controlled snacks, but GAH!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ridestolive6969
    Options
    You feel like binging because you are starving, and not eating enough protien, good fats, and complex carbohydrates to sustain your metabolism. Please review my diary and the diaries of others to get some ideas on what and how much to eat....:happy:
  • seearainbow
    seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Dang I thought I was doing good on protein today!!! I did exercise a bit today, so my allowed calories are higher for the day. I will get more protein in for dinner with some veggies I hope.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ok here is my opinion, I think you need to start eating a good, healthy breakfast, and always be thinking of what fruit or vegetable you are going to eat with each meal. I always eat a fruit with my breakfast, example a banana and my cereal, and I do measure my cereal and use skim milk. For lunch I have a turkey sandwich and a carrot, grapes and cantaloupe (or insert your fav fruits). for dinner i always eat at least 2 servings of vegetables with whatever main dish I'm eating. the point is, if it comes from the ground it can't be that bad for you and if you feel like binging, eat some fruits and veggies and it will fill you up. nuts also are filling, but be careful how many you eat. Good luck! I used to be like that, you will get there :)
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I wouldn't say you're starving yourself, nor that you aren't getting enough protien. I don't know why you're wanting to binge, I just didn't want you to feel like you weren't eating well. In my opinion, you are.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Ridestolive is completely correct. Your maintenance goal - weight loss amount is 1900 calories. You NEED to eat 1900 calories. Contrary to what you might think, eating less than that will actually SLOW you weight loss, because your body will slow your metabolism to compensate, and put you in starvation mode.

EAT YOUR CALORIES. I cannot stress this enough! Eat an 8oz grilled skinless chicken breast, its delicious and pretty low cal, but will leave you feeling full.

Eat a large salad with plenty of veggies in it. Eat all kinds healthy fats - they will make you feel full. Avacado and peanut butter are great, but be careful because you can easily get too much of them if you aren't careful. Measure out a serving and you'll be good.

if you want to lose weight quickly, you are WAY better off eating healthy and eating enough, and just exercising more.
  • Avalonis
    Options
    I wouldn't say you're starving yourself, nor that you aren't getting enough protien. I don't know why you're wanting to binge, I just didn't want you to feel like you weren't eating well. In my opinion, you are.

Uhhh. No.

Her goal is 1900+ calories, and she ate like 800. Plus, she at foods that aren't very filling. If she is used to eating more, she is going to feel like she is starving.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First, I'm glad that you're thinking through why you might have the urge to binge rather than just going for it. Kudos :)

Based on your diary, here are a few things I noticed:
    1- You foods are not very filling (i.e., they're dry, not enough water and fiber bulk, which helps with fullness). Adding more vegetables, fruits, and non-cream-based soups with protein (beans and/or meat) should help you to feel fuller without adding many calories.
    2- Most of your foods are low-fat. Although "fat" can be a scary word, more fat might help with satiety. Go for unsaturated, non-trans sources (e.g., olive oil to sauté veggies; eggs; lean meat).
    3- Although you have gone over your protein recommendation, the sources are not very bulky. E.g., the Slim Fast probably doesn't fill you up as much as a piece of chicken with the same amount of protein and calories would.

Feel free to check out my diary for examples of higher protein and reasonably "fatty" foods. I'm usually pretty satiated, but you'll have to try some things to see what works for you.

Best wishes!
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Im also a binger, I actually think small breakfasts trigger it, and having those shakes for brekkie.....hmmm, I think you dont feel fully satisfied that you "ate" something at breakfast, so youre waiting for lunch to come around. By eating so little then at lumch food is always on your mind. Im trying to eat bigger breakfasts, Ive been doing this one full week and havent had a thought of a binge!!
    Im also a binger, have easily eaten 5000cals. I joined here last week after being just ridiculous since about March. I used to use those shakes to get my weight down.....binge 3/4 days, 1 week shakes, binge 3/4 days etc etc.

xx
  • marmitegirly2
    marmitegirly2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Looking back through your diary, I see you don't have as many actual 'meals' as others and I reckon that having shakes and bars isn't making you psychologically think you have had a meal. Also, when you do eat pizza for example, rather than have one slice and feel deprived, if you perhaps served a large salad with it, it would take you longer to eat and therefore make you feel like you had had a meal. Likewise breakfast, instead of the shake you could have eggs or porridge or something filling that would tick the box in your brain. Good luck!
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Hey there! Like you, I am a binge eater as well...mine coming from emotions. I did take the opportunity to review your diary entries and hope that they are just incomplete as there are a lot of holes. Further, if I recall right, I had to go back to 6/3 to find an entry for any fruit and fresh veggies. You are documenting a lot of fast, processed foods and drinking your calories, i.e., consistently drinking slimfast for breakfast. While convenient, I am sure it isn't all that filling for you. I echo some of the others suggestions, to try eating real food and real meals that include fruits, veggies and good fats as well as lean proteins. My diary is open to friends only, but if you'd like, send me a request and I will open it up for ya! Good luck and what a good success you had in asking for help rather than binging! Bravo!
  • seearainbow
    seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice!

I do drink a lot of shakes and have meal bars, which I know isn't the best, but I work a job where I rarely get any breaks (no short breaks OR meal breaks). So I used to eat my breakfast and not get to eat again until dinner time or later. So to help that, I bring bars or shakes that I can eat while I work (I'm a nurse). I also try to pack a snack or two to grab when I can but it's all very processed because keeping fruit in my pocket isn't practical.

Today I have the day off for once, so it's a bit different.
  • twinkietigress
    twinkietigress Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Question, are you consuming foods, those shakes or diet sodas that have artificial sweetner by chance? They trick the brain into thinking its about to get sugar that never comes. Could lead to a binge. I know I have less difficulty when those are gone.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Uhhh. No.

Her goal is 1900+ calories, and she ate like 800. Plus, she at foods that aren't very filling. If she is used to eating more, she is going to feel like she is starving.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    She hasn't eaten dinner yet. No wonder she wants to binge.. she is hungry... Eat dinner... then see how you feel... go for a walk... then have a snack if you are still hungry....
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    She hasn't eaten dinner yet. No wonder she wants to binge.. she is hungry... Eat dinner... then see how you feel... go for a walk... then have a snack if you are still hungry....

Sometimes a binge is nothing to do with dinner...?although obviously hunger can make someone over eat etc,but sometimes it feels like it's just out of ur control completely...
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    When you say you want to "binge", what are you craving? Sweet, savoury or just food in general?

If you are craving sweet foods then I would suggest trying to eat more fruit and veg, as the natural sugars will keep any chocolate cravings at bay.

If it's savoury foods that you are craving ie crisps/chips, etc then try eating a piece of chicken, or make a healthier choice... I'm not the type of person who believes in going cold turkey and it's so much easier to lose weight when you know that you're not doing completely without.

If I want a bit of chocolate I'll have a bit of chocolate... but I'll be disciplined enough only to have one square instead of the whole bar. If I want something savoury, I have a selection of "healthier" snacks, and I'll share a bag of crisps instead of eating the entire bag myself.

Recently I cleared 75% of the BAD foods from my house and replaced them with healthier options (as my fiance is also trying to lose weight), only leaving a small selection of biscuits which are only opened for visitors. The majority of my biscuits are now low fat, low calorie cereal bars. I find that if temptation is out of the way it's easier to make the right choice
  • Avalonis
    Options
    When you say you want to "binge", what are you craving? Sweet, savoury or just food in general?

If you are craving sweet foods then I would suggest trying to eat more fruit and veg, as the natural sugars will keep any chocolate cravings at bay.

If it's savoury foods that you are craving ie crisps/chips, etc then try eating a piece of chicken, or make a healthier choice... I'm not the type of person who believes in going cold turkey and it's so much easier to lose weight when you know that you're not doing completely without.

If I want a bit of chocolate I'll have a bit of chocolate... but I'll be disciplined enough only to have one square instead of the whole bar. If I want something savoury, I have a selection of "healthier" snacks, and I'll share a bag of crisps instead of eating the entire bag myself.

Recently I cleared 75% of the BAD foods from my house and replaced them with healthier options (as my fiance is also trying to lose weight), only leaving a small selection of biscuits which are only opened for visitors. The majority of my biscuits are now low fat, low calorie cereal bars. I find that if temptation is out of the way it's easier to make the right choice

And what Lesley said is whats it's all about.
    This is changing your LIFE, not just your diet. I know it sounds cliche, but if you treat this like a diet, you'll have an end to it. Putting an end on it will cause you to go right back. This is now your life. Don't starve yourself, and don't try to "quit" foods you love. Eat everything in moderation.

It took you years to gain this weight, it's not coming off in a month. Slow and sure, make sure your lifestyle and diet is sustainable
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options

Uhhh. No.

She also wasn't done eating for the day. If she was finished, then yes I would agree she was starving herself. However, to have eaten 800 calories by mid-afternoon is not starving. She's also eating foods that are decent in nutritional value.If you look at her previous days, you will see that she doesn't stop eating at 800 calories on those days, either.