Can I substitute Almond flour for regular flour?

I want to bake a banana cake, can I use almond flour instead of regular flour?

Has anyone tried this?
Will it taste good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    I imagine it would quite heavy and dense and crumbly (and way more calories).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I would think the same, that it won't hold together very well but I'd be interested in hearing about the results.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Try it! You never know
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    What is the reason you are substituting? It can be quite grainy and definitely more dry. It wouldn't have the same texture as a regular cake.
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Not grainy I use almond flour and coconut flour in the things I bake. I used it when I made pumpkin bread. So yes you can use it. Yes it holds together some times I ad a little oats.happy baking.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    I use almond flour and coconut flour when I bake, muffins tend to come out a bit on the solid side and sometime a bit crumbly depending on the recipe (I'm not a great baker) but they always taste nice.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Thanks for all of your help, I'm going to try it and cross my fingers that it comes out good!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    I want to bake a banana cake, can I use almond flour instead of regular flour?

Has anyone tried this?
    Will it taste good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I made a delicious banana loaf with almond flour. I'm just not sure if I substituted it In my original recipe or googled another recipe. Sorry
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Don't.

Look up paleo banana cake or almond flour banana cake on Google instead to find some real recipes for it (and make sure you read the comments because some are not worth it).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    No you cannot. The cake will be dense and the taste will be altered. If you plan to flip this recipe per se using almond flour you need to look for a specific recipe that will tell what else to add with almond flour, but it will not be a cake.

For starters, starch and gluten proteins flour are important for the cake to rise. Increasing baking powder or baking soda will cause you to need way too much salt thus terrible tasting and way too salty.

If you happen to find a recipe worth trying, read the reviews. Experienced bakers always have good tips and tricks to make the recipe better than the author. IMHO.

OP you also posted the question in the recipes... double post.

Almond flour or meal is great for muffins, brownies and cookies and banana bread and the like not cakes.
  • cindywb7
    cindywb7 Posts: 2 Member
    Using almond flour to avoid the gluten in regular flour.
  • Lydilod
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Don't.

Look up paleo banana cake or almond flour banana cake on Google instead to find some real recipes for it (and make sure you read the comments because some are not worth it).

Agree with you on this
    I use paleo or "clean" recipes, I wouldn't think just substituting your flour would be a good idea.
  • NaturalNancy
    Thanks everyone for your help!
    I've decided to try a recipe specifically made with almond flour
    e6gebyxs6nke.png
  • NaturalNancy
    I'm going to use cream cheese frosting instead of chocolate, fingers crossed lol!
  • Lydilod
    Looks good, I may have to try this one too :) Does it give the calories?
  • NaturalNancy
    @Lydilod I'm sorry I didn't check!

It's from www.smartsalad.com
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    the recipe will be a very dense cake or bread or brownie like, but it will be yummy non the less...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The recipe sounds do-able. The extra fat in the almond flour negates the need for extra oil, and the three eggs will help the cake hold together.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Don't.

This. You typically cannot just substitute directly without making other changes.
  • Lydilod
    @Lydilod I'm sorry I didn't check!

It's from www.smartsalad.com

It's probably a good idea for me to calculate it myself, UK ingredient can be very different from the US.
    Thanks
  • NaturalNancy
    @gia07 yes, sorry wasn't sure which one to post it in.
    Still getting the hang of this, is it a "don't" to post twice? Sorry!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Don't.

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This. You typically cannot just substitute directly without making other changes.

Cosigned.

Flour from wheat has specific properties lacking in almond flour, so to obtain cake-like results, more tweaks are needed than a simple 1:1 substitution.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You would need a specific recipe

Clementine cake is made with almond flour and is dense, moist and bloody delicious

For other cakes if substituting use a tsp of xanthan gum too