Rx Medications and Weight Gain

Options
I just got back from an appointment for my doctor. I told him that I read Zoloft can cause weight gain. He agreed and said it can affect your saity levels. I asked to change to another like Wellbutrin and he said that can lower your seizure threshold. I should say that U have had brain tumor surgeries, chemo and radiation. He also said that the anti seizure meds that I am on can cause weight gain. WTF! I don't need it to be harder. I'm frustrated.

Replies

• joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Zoloft (Sertraline) according to NIH Side Effects in Detail does document a possibility of weight gain or Rapid Weight Gain, but it varies per individual and listed under Incidence not known. So it can be a 1 in a Million case. But I generally listen to my doctors and my dietitian and take the medication regardless of it's possibility.

As long as you're focused on your weight loss and have a plan mapped out to continue on weight loss, you can limit the chances of weight gain caused by the medication.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 lbs in the 9 months I was on zoloft (I was depressed for the first few months of it so I wasnt eating much at all) and I really didnt change my eating habits either.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    I gained 15 lbs in the 9 months I was on zoloft (I was depressed for the first few months of it so I wasnt eating much at all) and I really didnt change my eating habits either.

Yeah, when I started Zoloft my weight shot up likes rocket. That was maybe 7-8 years ago. It corresponds perfectly.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a pharmacist is a good reference for drug info. that a dr. doesn't know. Sorry about your struggles.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting should be able to ameliorate the effects of an antidepressant. Definitely don't want to lower your seizure threshold! Some medications like steroids and the anti-psychotics are really hard to overcome in terms of weight effects, but I think good tracking of what you eat works well with a medication like Zoloft.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've been on Seroquel for 2 years and I think it contributed to my weight gain. however, by simply tracking my food and staying within my calorie deficit, I've lost more than half of it already. it's not a death sentence, it doesn't mean you can't lose the weight.