Why won't I lose weight?!

Options
Hi there.

This is my first discussion on MyFitnessPal, but I'm seriously at a loss. I have no idea what to do anymore, so maybe someone here can help me.

I'm 21 years old and weight 214.5 lbs.

BUT, I haven't always been this way.

I have been a vegetarian for 4 years--and before someone jumps down my throat, yes, I monitor what I eat, take vitamins and make sure I get enough protein. But that's not what I'm concerned about. Since coming home from college for summer break about 5 weeks ago, I have gained 15 lbs. At first I thought it was just water weight because I got really sunburnt and thought it would just go away, but it hasn't.

I've done some research regarding two medications I have been taking--Zoloft (Sertraline) and Tri-Sprintec. I take sertraline for depression for close to 18 months and TS is my birth control, which I recently switched to about 2 months ago. Apparently with Zoloft, there is a serious risk that you will gain weight once you go off it. And that's exactly what I did. I haven't taken it since I got home. I think that my mood has leveled out enough that I no longer needed to depend on it. It's been a goal of mine to stop taking it for a while, but I had no idea it would lead to severe weight gain.

Could that be the reason why I'm gaining so much weight? I monitor what I eat closely and am eating only about 1,600 cals a day... I try to exercise frequently but nothing is coming off. Could the combination of going off my sertraline and birth control lead to my weight problems? I've been trying to lose 50 lbs and this is just hindering my goals.

Can I get anyone's opinion/advice on what to do next in my weight loss journey?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Medications can be a weight loss inhibitor. This is a conversation you need to have with your medical doctor.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Medications can be a weight loss inhibitor. This is a conversation you need to have with your medical doctor.

^This^ Agree entirely that you need to discuss this with your doctor.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    meds can diffinately make you gain weight, but your body should get used to being without it and you should stop gaining. Just hang in there and mix up your exercise and try to do a little bit extra and it should start coming off, dont give up
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This. Anti-depressants are notorious for weight issue-related side effects. Your doctor will be able to address this so much more than anyone here can.
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of my fellow MFPers here. Just ask your doctor. Because if it isn't the medication, it may be something else that is causing your body to act that way. :-)
    Good luck. :-)
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i took zoloft for 4 years and slowly gained weight (those were my college years). i never really saw a connection with weight gain and zoloft though.. my weight gain was caused by my habits... also... if you have completly taken yourself off the zoloft you need to see you doctor right away.. you should ween yourself off medications like that.
  • pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    You know, I have a similar story. While I am not a vegetarian, I am on anti-depressants and have been for about 7 years now. Interestingly enough, it was about 7 years ago that my weight started to creep up on me. While before I gained maybe about a pound or two a year, it now seemed that I was putting on about 10-15 lbs every year. At first I didn't notice, and then I thought it wasn't such a big deal. Then 90 lbs later.........

Last year while visiting my doctor, she told me that certain anti-depressants do cause weight gain, my anti-depressant included. However, I have not gone off of them. We talked about dosage and safe ways to work with that.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about this and see if you can both come up with something. But you are definitely not alone in this :)
  • stephrawrrr
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I've been really struggling with this and I appreciate everyone's kind words :)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I agree you are definitely not alone in this. I have been taking similar medication for quite some time and my weight gain comes all too easy. I've been on MFP for 85 days and have only lost 17 pounds. It will come off but it will come off slowly. Don't give up. I know it's frustrating but please have patience and know you are on the right track. I started at 194.8 and now I'm I'm down to 177.8. I'm happy about that. The best of luck to you. Add me as a MFP friend if you would like. It's always good to support each other. :flowerforyou: