Free weights or weight machines - beginning female?

Options
I want to start strength training (currently doing cardio only). I own a pair of 5 pound dumbells from.back in the day, and I also have a gym membership so I have access to other weights and machines.

Any thoughts on free weights vs machines? Am I wasting my time using 5 pound weights?

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If you wanna go it alone I'd vote machines... If you want to spring for a trainer or find a buddy to spot you and correct your form, free weights. Lifting the wrong way can hurt you badly... The benefit of machines is that it makes it harder to do that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you wanna go it alone I'd vote machines... If you want to spring for a trainer or find a buddy to spot you and correct your form, free weights. Lifting the wrong way can hurt you badly... The benefit of machines is that it makes it harder to do that.

The benefit of free weights is that using them will recruit lots of stabilizing muscles which is a really good thing. Most machines also tend toward isolating individual muscles rather than being compound exercises. While somewhat safer, there are machines that can result in injuries as well if uses incorrectly.

Personally, I would suggest free weights for their benefit, or a mix of free weights and machines. Whatever route you go, use a program put together by someone who knows that they are doing. Trying to put your own program together will only result in frustration and missing out muscle groups.

A simple beginning program like Stronglifts 5x5 which is all free weights has the advantage of only having a few exercises to learn (Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press, and Bent-over Rows from what I remember). Another option is getting the book New Rules for Lifting for Women which I believe is a mixture of free weights and machines.

As for your question about the 5 pound weights, I am guessing you lift things heavier than 5 pound on a regular basis. While not a waste, they won't make a big difference in your strength.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    free weights. don't get caught up on using machines, they are good if you have an injury and are rehabbing or have other physical issues. Otherwise go for free weights
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Barbell FTW!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is awesome. You rock up at the gym, you train hard, you leave 35 to 40 minutes later.
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Start with the bar and work your way up. Keep it up and you will get stronger fast. That's what I did 2 months ago and now I'm doing 100 pound dead lifts and 80 pound bench press, 65 pound barbell squat.
    Just watch your form.
    I use the machines, free weights, and barbells. Just search for a women beginner routine online and follow it. By the end of 30 days, 5 days a week, you will notice a big difference in your strength.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you are a beginner a mix or either will do you fine.

Purists tend to go for free weights as they are more effective and call into play more auxillery muscles and stabilisers.

However if you are uncomfortable starting with free weights, machines are just fine.

Here is a good beginners article that goes through the 5x5 bar bell, hand weights, and machines giving a programme for each.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

Personally I follow the AllPro programme substituting in hand weights where the bar is too heavy.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Do follow an established compound progressive lifting programme rather than making up your own.

Opt for the method that suits you now and will keep you going to the gym.

Start at a low weight and work on form before upping the weights.

You can change to an alternate method at any time.

Cheers, h.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, whatever you feel more comfortable doing.
  • jassoi
    jassoi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i recently started stronglifts and it works and recommend it!!! its great for everything !
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with beginning on free weights. I am lifting pretty light weights with 5x5 and focusing on perfecting form but have already strained my back twice. Get a trainer who can watch your form, because it's really hard to see on your own what your mistakes might be. Unless you can video yourself in the gym.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I vote free weights.