Maintaining mostly at 1200

Options

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    The article you are quoting has a lot of 'may' words in it connected to magnesium's effect on weight loss.

I did say that it had lots of benefits, so I have no idea why you had to bold the word 'many'.

I gave the OP sound advice, based on the information i had, and encouraged her to research any supplement, including magnesium, that she was thinking of taking.

Sorry you are having a problem.

Cheers, h.
  • Brittbam89
    Brittbam89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The article you are quoting has a lot of 'may' words in it connected to magnesium's effect on weight loss.

I did say that it had lots of benefits, so I have no idea why you had to bold the word 'many'.

I gave the OP sound advice, based on the information i had, and encouraged her to research any supplement, including magnesium, that she was thinking of taking.

Cheers, h.

My only issue is that you said that it doesn't work for weight loss, when it indeed does. If you want to try it great, if not that's fine too. Obviously not everything works the same for everyone. I'm just really annoyed of people saying that magnesium doesn't work for weight loss when it has worked great for me. And sure, research it, but don't say it doesn't work unless you have looked into it. I've only been dieting and taking magnesium this time around for 5 days and have already lost 9lbs.

• middlehaitch
    Options
    It has worked for you.

Even the article you posted says it 'may' help in weight loss, not that it does. It is not proven, you having success is anecdotal.

I could find no research showing magnesium reduces fat.

CI<CO is a proven, scientific, method of weight loss and fat reduction.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Brittbam89 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

My only issue is that you said that it doesn't work for weight loss, when it indeed does. If you want to try it great, if not that's fine too. Obviously not everything works the same for everyone. I'm just really annoyed of people saying that magnesium doesn't work for weight loss when it has worked great for me. And sure, research it, but don't say it doesn't work unless you have looked into it. I've only been dieting and taking magnesium this time around for 5 days and have already lost 9lbs.

If it worked for weight loss it would work in isolation, so how about you stop your diet and exercise and see how that goes for 8 weeks..cos magnesium right

Nothing to do with it being a laxative.

H is right, a healthy balanced diet has copious sources of magnesium
    green leafy vegetables – such as spinach.
    nuts.
    brown rice.
    bread (especially wholegrain)
    fish.
    meat.
    dairy foods.

Ignore your article and read this instead
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

9lbs in 5 days is initial water weight loss and a good boost to your ego, please keep going even when you stall...weight loss isn't linear, come back in 8 weeks and post your average loss
  • Nic123fitness
    Nic123fitness Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the time you've all taken to reply folks! I will re read and digest. I'm hearing tips on logging, magnesium and staying active, and patience for those last few pounds!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5", 40 years, maintaining around 125 pounds. If I did not make the effort to move more, my maintenance calories would be 1400-1500 at best. So despite having a desk job, being a full time grad student, etc. - I make the choice/effort to move more. I hit 10k steps or more practically every day. And this puts my maintenance range around 1700-1850 on office job days.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP for what it's worth, I'm 5'2, 40, and maintaining about 123 lbs with a maintenance level of ~2100-2300 based on my FitBit. I'm not a marathon runner or heavy lifter - exercise is walking (~14K steps/day) and light weights about 2-3 days/week.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Brittbam89 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

If it worked for weight loss it would work in isolation, so how about you stop your diet and exercise and see how that goes for 8 weeks..cos magnesium right

Nothing to do with it being a laxative.

H is right, a healthy balanced diet has copious sources of magnesium
    green leafy vegetables – such as spinach.
    nuts.
    brown rice.
    bread (especially wholegrain)
    fish.
    meat.
    dairy foods.

Ignore your article and read this instead
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

9lbs in 5 days is initial water weight loss and a good boost to your ego, please keep going even when you stall...weight loss isn't linear, come back in 8 weeks and post your average loss

This.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    VanceDeau wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Strong first post there.

Should she take that as a compliment? Or is there a hidden message there

To paraphrase..........take a pill, lose 1/2 pound.

Why would you need a website where you measure portions and log food? Magnesium (apparently) makes the completely this unnecessary.

My vote is...........not a compliment. There is no magic bullet. There is no way to spot reduce.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Strong first post there.

Why would you need a website where you measure portions and log food? Magnesium (apparently) makes the completely this unnecessary.

My vote is...........not a compliment. There is no magic bullet. There is no way to spot reduce.

Isn't dark chocolate high in magnesium? Here's what I'm getting out of this - eat lots of dark chocolate, lose weight/belly fat. Right? Is that right?

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Strong first post there.

Isn't dark chocolate high in magnesium? Here's what I'm getting out of this - eat lots of dark chocolate, lose weight/belly fat. Right? Is that right?

Sound good to me! I'll get right on that ;)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the time you've all taken to reply folks! I will re read and digest. I'm hearing tips on logging, magnesium and staying active, and patience for those last few pounds!!

And remember that "staying active" doesn't have to mean "walking fast." Walking slow, casual bike riding, cleaning the house, gardening, window shopping, playing dress up with your kids... they're all activities and they ALL make a difference if you have a low TDEE. Essentially, any time you're not sitting or laying is a step in the calorie-burning direction :)

• Leeleelahlah
    Leeleelahlah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I maintain at 1300. :(
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The only person I know who maintains at 1200 is my 69 year old grandmother. She has rheumatoid arthritis and is basically bedridden. Also, she doesn't weigh all her food. She lost about 6kg over several months using MFP and is now maintaining.
  • Leeleelahlah
    Leeleelahlah Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Please research magnesium supplements ( and any others) before taking them. A diet with sufficient fibre and green leafy veg should give you the magnesium you need.

Most people are actually deficient in magnesium, as it's used by every organ in your body. Studies have shown that 75-80% of Americans don't get enough magnesium. Deficiency will NOT show up in a blood test, as only 1% of the magnesium in your body is in your blood stream. Magnesium-rich foods don't contain as much as they used to, due to herbicides. Also, the "recommended daily amount" is just enough to ward off deficiency, but not to keep optimal levels. Vitamin D is helpful in magnesium absorption, but if you're older, ingest a lot of caffeine, or have an unhealthy digestive system, you are most likely low in magnesium.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    ivyivy wrote: »
    I maintain at 1300. :(

Me too
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Ivy ivy, like your research, however I was pointing out that any supplement, especially one that is hyped to get rid of abdominal fat, should be researched before taking.
    I wouldn't take a supplement before I knew more about it; I don't think you would either ( an assumption based on your post).

Cheers, h.
  • samireid86
    samireid86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lesteidel wrote: »
    Wow. I feel like I stirred up a hornets nest. 1200 absolutely was what I should have been eating at when I was unable to walk. I didn't, I gained weight. I however, am not the norm. Smaller women with those caloric needs also tend to have more mineral and vitamin deficiencies, and for those calling me sedentary, yes, I was, I was TOLD NOT TO WALK during that time period. My only point is you can't blanket say that nobody loses at that intake.

OP if you are that close to goal, and accurately logging, it could very well be that you're building muscle or retaining more water than normal. Even IF you are accurately logging, I wouldn't go below that because it's very hard to get nutrition at that level of eating. And the closer to your goal you are, the slower you will lose, because you don't have as big of a calorie deficit. Do whatever you did to lose the weight to begin with and keep at it. It will come off, it just takes FOREVER to get the last few pounds off.

How do you accurately log?
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    How long have you been maintaining at 1200? If you only have 5lbs to lose, then 1200 would not be a huge deficit & you would be very losing slowly. You could just be in a plateau. I'm 44 & 5' 2.5". I maintain at 1430 at my goal weight of 150lbs. I am sedentary. I lose & maintain by strictly controlling my calorie intake. Unfortunately, when you're shorter, you don't have any wiggle room once you get close to your goal weight. You have to be extremely accurate in your logging.

I have been supplementing with magnesium occasionally & haven't seen an increase in my weight loss or reduction in my belly fat. I tend to store weight around my middle, so that would be great. But, so far it's not happening beyond what I would expect with my normal rate of loss by watching my calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That moment when you re-read old posts and think yup, I'm awesome :bigsmile: