Greek yogurt?

Options
Shells918
Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
I know this stuff is so much better for you than regular yogurt but the taste just kills me. I bought plain Greek yogurt yesterday for making smoothies, cooking, more for my husband than me, but I could barely take the smell let alone drink the smoothie, which I blended a half cup with vanilla extract, raspberries, skim milk, ice and eventually equal because it just was so tart. Any suggestions on how to make this stuff more palatable?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sweeteners. Whether sugar, honey, fruit or artificial.

But eating it is not a requirement for health. If you don't like it, eat something you do enjoy.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I know this stuff is so much better for you than regular yogurt but the taste just kills me. I bought plain Greek yogurt yesterday for making smoothies, cooking, more for my husband than me, but I could barely take the smell let alone drink the smoothie, which I blended a half cup with vanilla extract, raspberries, skim milk, ice and eventually equal because it just was so tart. Any suggestions on how to make this stuff more palatable?

When I buy plain, I find the only use for it is as a sour cream replacement or in various savory applications. I can't stand the plain stuff in sweet things. I buy the sweetened kind for breakfast.

Different brands taste different, so you might play around and see. But I agree that if you don't like it then it may be best to skip it.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Eat it plain. It's an acquired taste. Delicious.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Buy full fat Fage and eat it plain. It's delicious. Nonfat yogurt tastes horrible, lowfat isn't that great either, and adding sugar won't do you any favors. I eat Fage when I don't have time to make my own full fat strained yogurt. Mine is even better, halfway between yogurt and cream cheese.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No one has to eat yogurt -- personally, I have no intention of "acquiring" the taste for it plain. If you're looking for a dairy product for smoothies or with fruit, try ricotta or mascarpone cheese, or even sour cream if you like it. All of these are available in "light" versions. I had "light" ricotta with mixed berries and a little stevia for dessert a few days ago.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a greek yogurt that I like. I've tried just about all the ones in the grocery store. I just hate it all--it's just not for me. There are other ways to get protein & calcium. I've been buying Fairlife fat free milk--80 calories, 13 grams of protein per cup. It tastes good & I can add some sugar free chocolate syrup (15 calories) & it's even better.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The only one I like is Fage, 2%. I eat it daily.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really like it, but no need to eat it if you don't. I might check out some other brands -- I really like the Siggis (not technically greek yogurt) and of course Fage (2% or 0% both work for me). I use the Fage as I would sour cream, it's tasty with roasted potatoes or roasted veg, as a dip for apples, or with berries.

I've been on a cottage cheese kick lately and eating that instead, however -- the macros aren't that different.

I rarely eat smoothies, so don't add it to those. It seems a little thick for that use, for me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The flavored types are sweeter than the plain. Chobani and Tillamook Greek flavored are what I would recommend trying. (I couldn't see where you are located. Tillamook is an Oregon company and is regional.)
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    For me personally it's delicious. I can't stand the sweetened kind tho. If I want something sweet in my yogurt I put in some fresh fruit. It's all personal preference.
    If you prefer regular yogurt over greek, just use that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love Greek Yogurt so I sneak it in whenever I can. Really, it's only superiority over regular yogurt is a slightly higher protein because some of the liquid has been removed by straining. If you like a regular yogurt, maybe see if you like it strained through cheesecloth overnight.

Different brands have a different taste and texture. Experiment. The first time I had a full-fat organic yogurt, lemon flavoured, I was transported. I had no idea yogurt could be so creamy and good.

Also try the vanilla flavoured, if sweet is your thing.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wallaby organic plain tastes incredible. Not tart at all but still packed with protein like Greek yogurt's supposed to be. Very filling. They have it at whole foods.

It costs and arm and a leg but I only use half a cup at a time since it's so filling. I make smoothies with it.
  • Khannie_N
    Khannie_N Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2% Fage is the best. I didn't like it plain at first either so I'd add some honey and I loved it. Now I love it plain.
  • jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I pretty much hate yogurt and have been trying to make myself like it for years. The ONLY one I can stand is the Chobani Greek Flip yogurts. They have granola, nuts, or berries that can be mixed in. This led me to realize that I only like yogurt with stuff in it. This all being said...if you don't like yogurt, then just skip it lol.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I put half a scoop of my coconut protien powder in it. Or a tbsp of PB2. or fresh fruit.

But agreed, it's not the be all and end all of *~health
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Personally I go with Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt. 130 calories with 18 grams of protein and 11 grams of sugar. Great addition to smoothies and thickens them up.

I'm experimenting with an Orange Creamsicle Protein shake and I use it to add more protein to my powder along with cottage cheese.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't like any Greek yogurt. Hence, I don't eat it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Buy full fat Fage and eat it plain. It's delicious. Nonfat yogurt tastes horrible, lowfat isn't that great either, and adding sugar won't do you any favors. I eat Fage when I don't have time to make my own full fat strained yogurt. Mine is even better, halfway between yogurt and cream cheese.

What wrong with adding sugar?

OP, I dislike the taste of plain Greek yogurt. I'll eat it if it's mixed with something (honey, sweetened granola, banana) or as a dip for perogies and topping for potatoes. I tried many variations of plain, unsweetened fruit and it was yucky. Only fruit that works is banana. I finished off the last of plain Greek yogurt last night with honey, toasted sesame seeds, and sunflower kernels. The only granola that works is Sante (it's Polish, I bought some at Dollarama in Canada).

If you want to eat Greek yogurt but don't want to play around with mixing to get it palatable, you can buy Greek yogurts with flavors. Most brands taste the same, except the fruit ones because some mix the fruit, some leave it on the bottom, so when you do find a flavor you like you can get it in other brands. I like vanilla, coconut, blueberry flavors.
  • heldavi
    heldavi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to find it really plain and almost sour too, however I have actually now got used to the taste of 0% greek yogurt, and have no problem eating it!
    It's very rare that I have it on its own, but if you leave fruit (especially frozen raspberries) in it overnight with some oats, it's yummy :smile:
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% + sliced strawberries or any fruit + vanilla extract and stevia