When did you hit a weight loss plateau?

Options
I'm almost 2 months into my weight loss and so far the weight just seems to be falling off. I'm not sure how long to expect this to continue and am curious as to when everyone else started slowing down. If it helps I will include my stats.
Height: 5'3
Starting weight: 174
Current weight: 162

I appreciate the help (:

Replies

• MrAitchison
    MrAitchison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It'll happen. For everyone just at different stages. Where your body eventually adapts to the calories your eating and that becomes maintenance for you. Just drop your calories 20% and keep going!
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I started at 287 lbs in September 2015. I am now at 219.6 lbs, but my weight loss has definitely slowed down.. Still going at it though!!! :)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    When my caloric intake was equal to my TDEE.
  • JaydenLindsey420
    JaydenLindsey420 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback! Nice job by the way ladies
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    During my saga of weight loss I hit several plateaus. The main one was at 250 after losing 50 pounds before joining MFP. Once I discovered the tinkering abilities of my calories, I was able to break through that plateau and keep moving.

Might I suggest not to take the scale's measurement as a significant sign of weight loss. I know it sounds weird, but as you're losing weight and exercising, the body gains new muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you're losing weight and the scale doesn't budge, look towards your clothes and what you see in the mirror more than what the scale has to say. If the clothes are falling off your body but the number on the scale doesn't move, you're gaining muscle and losing fat.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have yet to hit a plateau in 5 months as I reset my goals to make sure MFP is giving me correct calorie counts to maintain the deficit I want. It's slowed down over past 2 months but that was deliberate as I reduced my deficit because it created total calories that I wasn't willing to live with (too small).
  • xaoifex
    xaoifex Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "It'll happen. For everyone just at different stages. Where your body eventually adapts to the calories your eating and that becomes maintenance for you. Just drop your calories 20% and keep going!"

Well hopefuly this doesnt happen to me I am already at 1200 i cant go any lower :wink:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When I got lazy with my logging
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    [quote="Joshacham;35566739" Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you're losing weight and the scale doesn't budge, look towards your clothes and what you see in the mirror more than what the scale has to say. If the clothes are falling off your body but the number on the scale doesn't move, you're gaining muscle and losing fat.[/quote]

While I agree with the advice you've given, I need to point out that 1kg of fat weighs the same as 1kg of muscle.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Never. My deficit was large enough that my drop in size never completely eliminated the deficit while I wasn't paying attention. Combine that with faithful logging of my calories and not cheating myself and I'm yet to stall out. There is no reason to hit a plateau if you stay on top of things.

I will switch to maintenance in the next week though, does that count?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never had one...IMO, plateaus are generally inaccurate logging which people managed to get away with early on when they had more weight to lose but can no longer get away with when their margin of error shrinks.

My weight loss did slow down, but that was commensurate with my TDEE shrinking along with my size and me maintaining a smaller deficit than when I started.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau about three months into my weight loss routine (healthy eating, exercising) I did a ten day cleanse and it worked wonders. I also switched up my exercise routine and added light weights and about a week later I noticed I was losing again!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My only plateau was when I went into maintenance for several months (intentionally).

Some don't adjust their calories as they lose. I evaluate mine every 10 to 15 lbs lost as well as evaluating my exercise amounts to see if I need to eat less.
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never had one...IMO, plateaus are generally inaccurate logging which people managed to get away with early on when they had more weight to lose but can no longer get away with when their margin of error shrinks.

My weight loss did slow down, but that was commensurate with my TDEE shrinking along with my size and me maintaining a smaller deficit than when I started.
    I hope that you're right.
    I haven't hit one yet, and I'm halfway through goal. And I still lose as much as I want to. So I hope that plateaus can be avoided
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You either eat less or move more. If you have plateaued and can't reduce it anymore, then I suggest to move more. Burn more calories.