Breastfeeding

Options
Today is my first day trying to get back on track with working out. I started with a brisk walk and ended with ChaLEAN Extreme. I have a three month old whom I breastfeed 5 times per day. On a Mommy Forum that I am signed up for it says you burn between 300-500 calories per day depending on how much you breastfeed. Does that seem right? I think the calculation is that everytime you nurse you burn 80 calories. Today I found myself HUNGRY all day long and somewhat shaky. I have not included this in my 'excercise' portion for workouts...should I? I still want to give my baby all the nurishment possible. Thoughts on this???

Replies

• RoseVernon
    RoseVernon Posts: 88
    Options
    You should definitely log in your nursing calories. Every little bit helps! :o)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Hi. i breast feed my son for 1 and 1/2 years. Make sure you are taking your vitamins and taking in extra milk. how many calories are you allowing yourself daily?
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If your baby is exclusively nursing, you need an additional 500 calories - MINIMUM - to keep your production up. If you eat that and find yourself still hungry, bump it to 600. If necessary, 700. I need about 200 additional calories a day for nursing, and my nursling is nearly three years old - 500 for a three month old seems to me to be reasonable to low. o.o;;
  • malissaperkins
    Options
    When I started trying to lose weight, and I was breastfeeding, I found that I had to eat a minimum of 400 extra calories, otherwise I felt the same way you do. I live by the advise (well, while breastfeeding) that you HAVE to listen to your body!!! If you are hungry, you need to eat, just chose wisely, fuit or veggies and some protein :) I'm still nursing my 10 month old, and my supply never dropped once!
  • JessicaRucker
    Options
    I breastfeed my 9mnt old "on demand", so I include it in my excercise as doing 1 min of breastfeeding at 500 cals. I didn't want it to take away from my overall exercise minutes total for the day. I do it first thing so I see what I am working with. Since he was born, I have lost 92 lbs. All the weight from all my pregnancies(2 preg back to back) and now weigh less than I did when I got married 4 years ago. My milk has never suffered and I have been steady losing since he was born. If you want to chat about it, hit me up!
  • Rditty25
    Rditty25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely take into account the breastfeeding! Especially with your baby only being 3 months, you're still making enough milk to account for at least 500 calories burnt a day.
  • cramerellen
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I want to do what is best for me getting back on track but more importantly her. She is exclusively breastfed and according to some of your posts I will add this to my 'execise' portion on here. My goal calorie intake is 1300, but while working out and nursing I am able to consume more. I am VERY new to MFP and am not really sure if I'm looking at all this the right way. I appreciate ALL your help with this. Thanks!
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi! I am also exclusively breast feeding my baby. I add it in under snacks for an additional 500 calories. Since your baby is so young you might want to add around 800 to keep your supply up. It is very important to listen to your body and if you are hungry then definitely eat. Also, remember to take your prenatal vitamins to make sure you and baby are still getting what you need. Good luck mama!
  • RFrick
    RFrick Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're only eating 1300 calories you should be eating whatever calories you burn while exercising, too. It took me a while to get this figured out and it was very confusing to me, but look at it this way. Your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories to function properly. If you go below that your body may go into 'starvation mode' and actually try to keep whatever fat you might have. So if you're only eating 1300 calories and you're burning 500 calories nursing your baby that only leaves your body 800 calories to use for you. Then if you exercise and burn, say, 350 calories and don't eat those back that is only leaving your body 450 calories to function on. That's 850 calories below what your body needs to work properly!!! Hope this helps...
  • JClairron
    JClairron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need to up your calories - you don't want to put your supply at risk. I nursed my daughter for 3 years and am currently nursing my 1 year old son (both on demand), and I have had to do a lot of trial and error with my calories to see what keeps me from getting hungry and shaky while still allowing me to lose steadily. Make sure to keep your liquid intake high, too, as that will also keep your supply up. Also, oatmeal is really great for your milk supply, so consider adding that into your daily diet.
  • JClairron
    JClairron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're only eating 1300 calories you should be eating whatever calories you burn while exercising, too. It took me a while to get this figured out and it was very confusing to me, but look at it this way. Your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories to function properly. If you go below that your body may go into 'starvation mode' and actually try to keep whatever fat you might have. So if you're only eating 1300 calories and you're burning 500 calories nursing your baby that only leaves your body 800 calories to use for you. Then if you exercise and burn, say, 350 calories and don't eat those back that is only leaving your body 450 calories to function on. That's 850 calories below what your body needs to work properly!!! Hope this helps...

Exactly. And your body will *always* take your calories and 'give' them to your milk first, leaving you with nothing to fuel your body.