Tips For Getting Over A Craving?

Options
Pretty much every night, I end up with an insurmountable craving for ice cream. I ALWAYS cave. Any/all tips for stomping out a fiery craving are much much appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If you can, get it out of the house, don't buy it any more, etc. Can you settle for having half the amount to curb the craving?
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear other people's ideas too...here are some things that work for me (sometimes)
    1 making sure I have eaten all my fat and protein consistently
    2 going for a walk, or dancing
    3 doing something with my hands and brain like knitting, sewing, painting etc.
  • maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    Have you tried Skinny Cow ice cream? Some of their products only have 100 calories per serving and it doesn't taste like anything "diet." I have them every few nights and it helps me a lot since I'm a big fan of ice cream too. :)
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make an almond milkshake...taste like the real thing

This makes 2 big cups:
    each cup is 140 calories

1/4 cup almonds
    2 TB agave
    10-15 drops stevia for extra sweetness
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 cups water
    2-3 cups ice (to get consistency you want)

Blend!
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    I've been battling cravings for crisps and choccie for months now. They really drove my weightloss progress to the pits! Anyways, I've been using two methods which have really helped me get back on track;

1 - don't keep them in the house. I don't know if you have anyone else in your household who insists upon it being there, but if possible just don't keep it in. Then when you want it, you have to leave the house for it

2 - Before you leave the house for it (or reach into your freezer for it) sit down and eat a piece of fruit nice and slowly. And whilst you eat it nice and slowly take time to think about why you really don't want to eat that ice cream. I know you already know all the reasons why you do of course ;) but by the time you've finished your mastication contemplation you will have satisfied any hunger cravings, and if you weren't hungry in the first place (we all know cravings don't always come from hunger!) then you'll have added to your stomach contents anyhow.

They say that when you are trying to quit smoking, and you have a craving for a cigarette, the craving realistically only lasts a couple of minutes, even though it can feel like hours. I honestly find it works the same with food, you just need to distract yourself in the meantime from taking the ultimate leap as it were and have something more healthy instead :)
  • freyablaze
    freyablaze Posts: 11
    Options
    Have you tried Skinny Cow ice cream? Some of their products only have 100 calories per serving and it doesn't taste like anything "diet." I have them every few nights and it helps me a lot since I'm a big fan of ice cream too. :)

I've tried it... it's pretty good, diet-like, but good. The type of ice cream I usually crave is ooey gooey fudgey, having just a small serving would probably work... except for those special times of the month, when I must gorge myself silly on ice-cream. :bigsmile:
  • freyablaze
    freyablaze Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks! I like the distraction/mastication contemplation method, seems like a healthy choice that would work well for anyone.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    There are opiates inside of casein, the main dairy protein. As casein molecules are digested, they break apart to release tiny opiate molecules, called casomorphines. One of these has about one-tenth the opiate strength of morphine.
    Dairy is addicting and the reason so many people find it difficult to give up.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a few yogurts in the freezer for those times when I just have to have something creamy and frozen at night. We still go out for ice cream occasionally but now it's more like every two or three weeks instead of every two or three days.

Things that I crave (salty foods especially) don't come into the house anymore so if I'm craving something I have to make a conscious effort to leave the house, go to the store and buy it. I also have a general rule that I won't use plastic to buy anything and I won't touch the grocery cash either. Usually by the time I've scrounged up enough change to buy something the craving has passed. (Most people just find some other activity to redirect their attention but this seems to work for me.)
  • beach_chelle
    beach_chelle Posts: 221
    Options
    I read recently that using mental/eucalyptus cough drops are a good way to rest your taste buds and knock out cravings. I haven't tried it yet, but it might help!
  • beanster90
    Options
    I eat honey Greek yogurt and it's fabulous! Especially in the freezer it's a lot like ice cream and it satisfies my sweet tooth! I like the trader joes brand the best!!! Also trader joes has super dark chocolate(73%) that's 45 calories a square that can help with the chocolate craving! Hope this helps! And remember it's hard to completely restrict something from your diet so have it in moderation!!!
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    just say the more you keep on caving in and eating the ice cream, the longer it's gonna take to lose weight. and all your hard work you did all day is RUINED.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Maybe save some calories during the day so you can have half a serving or 1/4 of a serving of ice cream? Or try those chocolate covered ice cream bites and limit yourself to a few? Or distract yourself - Tv show, computer, talking with family, taking a walk, cleaning?