Sushi? Quick help!

Options
Hi MFP friends--I am on a business trip and they are taking us to a sushi place....what is the best thing to get? I have about 1000 cals left for the day thanks to my workout. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not very familiar with sushi so, something that tastes good...and wont blow my budget :)

Replies

• kimberlygo
    kimberlygo Posts: 74
    Options
    Tuna roll and salmon roll. Nothing with mayo or fried ie spicey or crunchy. Sashimi is good, too. Good luck!
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm currious too(:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Stick with the cucumber rolls, salmon roll and California rolls. Use the less sodium soy sauce if they have it.
  • Tahru
    Tahru Posts: 58
    Options
    Honstly, sushi is very...ricey XD;
    Try getting te smaller rolls and make the Kappamaki? (Kappamaki is a cucumer roll named after the cute little mythical Kappa <3)
    But sushi adds up quickly so..be careful not to over eat!
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    california rolls!
  • nmterp
    nmterp Posts: 74
    Options
    Agree with the above...also can get squid salad. Only a 100 or so calories, really tasty too.
  • Poniesarepretty
    Poniesarepretty Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried miso soup? Any good?
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    miso soup and edamame are awesome appetizers, and then for the actual sushi - go for tuna, salmon, or vegetarian rolls. if you have the option of brown rice, go for that!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    sushifaq.com

The issue with Miso is the sodium, but if you're okay with that, then sure go for it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say just get what you want and enjoy it. At least from my point of view, how often is it that you get to have sushi on someone else's dime? If you've otherwise been eating well and having good progress, have a treat.

I've looked up the calories on a lot of sushi and it would take quite a bit to get up to 1000 calories. I'm not saying I wouldn't be up to the task, mind you! But the sodium in the soy sauce is the bigger problem. Expect to see a temporary gain.
  • jmula
    jmula Posts: 38
    Options
    Tuna roll and salmon roll. Nothing with mayo or fried ie spicey or crunchy. Sashimi is good, too. Good luck!

this! ^^^^
    avoid the cucumber rolls. they are loaded with mayo. fish is fairly low in calories, watch the other items at the table. keep your rice intake low and you'll have a great, healthy, hi protein packed meal! (im jealous) :)
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The tuna is most definitely my favorite...either as sashimi (piece of fish, sometimes on a little mound of rice) or in a roll with cucumber and some avocado. California rolls are usually made with imitation crab and I believe they have cream cheese in them....they are definitely a more popular dish but I avoid them (due to the imitation crab mostly but that's just me.)

Many sushi places will also make sushi with brown rice if you ask.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I agree...california roll or shrimp roll, they are cooked, and if you have never had it its best to ease in slowly., ask if they can make it with brown rice (most places can) and low sodium soy sauce. Sushi is actually low cal.
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Sashimi is just fish. Sushi is the fish with lots of rice. If you like fish, I'd try the sashimi. I haven't had sushi since I started this diet but I am going to have to try sashimi so that I can still enjoy the taste :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say just get what you want and enjoy it. At least from my point of view, how often is it that you get to have sushi on someone else's dime? If you've otherwise been eating well and having good progress, have a treat.

I've looked up the calories on a lot of sushi and it would take quite a bit to get up to 1000 calories. I'm not saying I wouldn't be up to the task, mind you! But the sodium in the soy sauce is the bigger problem. Expect to see a temporary gain.
    Yeah!!! Sushi on someone else's credit card is no cal, no fat no sodium awesomeness. If you can't pull the trigger on the cals and sodium, try the Pokemon roll. I
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Just found this! Scroll down to see nut value for different types of sushi.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • Poniesarepretty
    Poniesarepretty Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone...all dressed up and heading out!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I eat sushi once a month twice since i started on here. I can eat til i am full and not eat over 1000 calories, Eat rolls, sushi, and sashimi, if you can stay away from tempura you are doing good, cant though i need to have1 shrimp. Edamame is great but high in cals and protein not fat. drink green tea and enjoy yourself. :)
  • audreyyrose
    Options

this! ^^^^
    avoid the cucumber rolls. they are loaded with mayo. fish is fairly low in calories, watch the other items at the table. keep your rice intake low and you'll have a great, healthy, hi protein packed meal! (im jealous) :)

what kind of cucumber rolls are people serving you? haha the ones i've had are literally just a piece of cucumber in rice wrapped with sushi!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've had quite a lot of sushi on mfp... for me the one let down was that unagi (eel) is fairly high calorie :sad: