Achy knee post run :(

Options
So I went for my first run this evening (woohoo) and I actually enjoyed it! However not long into my (short) run my knee started hurting pretty bad, but was fine as soon as I stopped running. Now around a couple of hours post run, it's quite sore to bend, was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions? Would taping it help? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Ice and Ibuprofen. And rest it. I suggest not running until it feels better.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes at your local running store, if you have not done that. Make an appointment with an orthopedist if you continue to have knee pain.
  • Khannie_N
    Khannie_N Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you heel striking or are you running on the balls of your feet? Technique is really important for running and so are proper shoes. I used flat neutral runners with no heel. Nike is terrible for having way too much of a cushioned heel for running IMO. Visit a local running store and they'll watch you walk and help you select the right pair of runners.

I recently had to give up running because of a nagging knee pain. It's not worth it. I bicycle now and my knees are way, way more happy. :/ I do miss running though.
  • gin_7
    gin_7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work in a chiropractic office. Is your pain above or below the knee?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I disagree with changing how your run. Do what is natural for you. Also, which Nike? Why make such a blanket statement? I am running in my Nike's today and while they are no longer my favorite shoe, they are still excellent for me.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Personally I chose a top rated shoe that i could buy locally...google is your friend. That has helped alot but set me back $150 USD. Also, I'm taking glucosamine and chondrotin suppliment which i believe is helping.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same issue as the OP so would be interested to hear peoples thoughts. Although, mine is more of an ache than an outright pain, just below the knee. I'm going to a running shop on Friday to get some proper running shoes too as I think my current Nike's are a bit past it now, hopefully that will sort the issue.
  • elliemaif
    elliemaif Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your useful comments everyone :)
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    technique is important in running too. pain suggests overuse which means something in your stride is causing your knee to repeatedly bend in a way that it shouldn't. it could be improper stride length, it could be where your foot is striking, or it could even be caused by a lack of hip, leg, or core strength. figure out what's causing the pain and then how to fix it. it might involve stretching, strength training, or just being more mindful when you run.

usually soreness indicates a small technique error, so thats your cue to figure it out and fix it. plus, it will probably make you faster in the long run.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    When I started running my knees also hurt a lot the day after usually, especially when walking downhill. I self diagnosed it as runners knee and just backed off for a couple days each time I had it. Now that I run more regularly I never get it anymore, seems that it was just due to stressing my body in ways I didn't do before.