Blood Donation Challenge

Options
Arianera
Arianera Posts: 128 Member
If you are eligible, I challenge you to donate blood or platelets regularly.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/What-Expect-When-Giving-Blood-3011610

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Giving blood is so easy for most people. I second this!^
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I recently donated and plan on doing it again as soon as possible. I like this challenge.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    not eligible. hemoglobin is always JUUUUUUST under what they'll accept. lamesauce.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    not eligible. hemoglobin is always JUUUUUUST under what they'll accept. lamesauce.

I used to have this problem, so I add iron and vitamin C for the week before donating and eat a bunch of raisin bran within the few days before.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Funny story: I gave blood but it was rejected because I had a false positive for Hepiititus. The Red Cross wrote me a letter asking me not to donate blood, organs or semen. That last one was never on my priority list.
  • meganjcallaghan
    edited February 2016
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I used to have this problem, so I add iron and vitamin C for the week before donating and eat a bunch of raisin bran within the few days before.

yeah...unfortunately it's not a dietary sort of thing for me that can be fixed with supplements. I had to get all this tested before I was allowed to donate a kidney and they made me get my levels tracked for months on end with a hematologist. 117 every single time no matter what I did. He said it was just my "normal" and it's fine since it's only 3 under the bottom end of the usual normal range which starts at 120 for women. Unfortunately even if i could scooch up into the normal range, Canadian Red Cross will only take blood if you're at least 125. Not much chance of that. Personally I think it's silly. I'm not that low and the possibility of underlying problems causing the number have been ruled out....so I just wouldn't donate as often. No big deal. But noooooo....I'd be wasting my time to even register at this point
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm not eligible because I have Crohn's but I have received many units of blood so I thank all of you donors for saving me!
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who have donated or have tried to donate and found not eligible.

I've been donating on-and-off since I was 17 (most recently earlier today) and have lost track of how many gallons I'm up to. Especially when I was younger, though, my iron was hit-or-miss and they turned me away almost as often as they accepted me. But having a relatively rare blood type, I just keep trying.

P.S. @meganjcallaghan I think you get a pass on blood donation if you have or will donate a kidney.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    Arianera wrote: »
    Thank you to those who have donated or have tried to donate and found not eligible.

I've been donating on-and-off since I was 17 (most recently earlier today) and have lost track of how many gallons I'm up to. Especially when I was younger, though, my iron was hit-or-miss and they turned me away almost as often as they accepted me. But having a relatively rare blood type, I just keep trying.

P.S. @meganjcallaghan I think you get a pass on blood donation if you have or will donate a kidney.

haha...I did last year. I just figure if I have other bits available I might as well give those away too. Seeing as how blood cells are so conveniently reproducible it would have been a simple enough thing to do. oh well.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I just donated yesterday! I try to go as close to every 8 weeks as possible and have been doing it since college. My hemoglobin has been more on the bubble lately so I need to get better about eating more iron in the days leading up to it.

I really wish more people that are eligible and able to donate would do so. It's such a quick and easy thing and a great excuse to eat cookies. :)
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Funny story: I gave blood but it was rejected because I had a false positive for Hepiititus. The Red Cross wrote me a letter asking me not to donate blood, organs or semen. That last one was never on my priority list.

ha!
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a huge phobia of donating blood. I did once successfully and the other time I tried they couldn't get a vein. Hoping this forum will motivate me!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I find if you go to an actual Red Cross donation center (rather than the van or a blood drive), they tend to find them easier. I think it has a lot to do with the relaxed environment and them feeling more "at home" there.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I donate every two months and my next appointment is on the 29th!
  • Seaman1986
    Seaman1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I donated yesterday