Not getting the results I'm looking for!

Options
sarahmarie7782
sarahmarie7782 Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been working out consistently for a while. I've lost about 15lbs and have toned up everywhere but the spot I want to build muscle in the most, my booty. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and do a full body workout but mostly focusing on my glutes. I do 3-4 sets of 12-15 with heavy weight. I do squats, lunges, deadlifts, cable kickbacks, leg raises, etc.. I have not seen ANY difference in my booty but everything else is almost rock hard. I was doing most of those exercises each time I went but I was recently told I may be over working that muscle group so I split them up into 3 exercises each day for 3 days. It's only been a week since I've changed my routine but I was wondering if that might have been the issue or if anyone has some more advice. I haven't been tracking my calories but I TRY to get a lot of protein and fat and I take maca root and flaxseed cause I've heard that helps. Please help!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you still eating in a deficit? If so, that is a problem. You will strengthen in a deficit but your muscle building will be limited. Eat at maintenance or above to build glutes. I suggest getting on a program that was devised for glute building, such as Strong Curves, or at a minimum reading up on it (Bret Contreras's website is a good resource.)
  • sarahmarie7782
    Options
    I usually eat 2 big meals a day but I can't always afford to get all of the nutrition I probably need so some days I know don't eat nearly enough. And when I workout I usually go on an empty stomach and eat a large high protein, high fat meal and drink a protein smoothie after my workout
  • sarahmarie7782
    Options
    And I will definitely check it out. Thank you
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    1. progressive overload. are you consistently increasing the weight you are using for e.g. squats, lunges, deadlifts and so forth? If so, how much weight are you using now compared to when you started? You need to keep increasing the weight if you want them to keep growing.
    2. Barbell Hip Thrusts. once you learn proper technique, you can do a LOT of weight with these. There is a guy at my gym who does 600lbs hip thrusts for multiple reps (way more than he can squat or deadlift).
    3. Bret Contreras. Read his articles. he calls himself The Glute Guy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that genetics are going to play a roll...not everyone is going to have a booty.
  • mkh858
    mkh858 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do several butt flexes while I brush my teeth. Your suppose to brush your teeth for 2 mins. I do this 3 times a day. I usually count to 12 seconds and hold it for 10 seconds. People at work always ask me how my butt got so toned. Plus the benefit too you have healthy oral care as well :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @mkh858 you are a girl after my own heart. I body squat when waiting for the microwave to beep.
    Every little bit helps.

Cheers, h.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You also might want to do some glute activation tests to see if you are using your glutes like you should in your lifts. It's possible that you are using other muscles more than your glutes in your lifts.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    In a deficit you're not going to be building the booty up. Once you get to an appropriate body fat %, you can run a recomp or a bulk...either eating in maintenance or a surplus. Do a program like Strong Curves and get a butt. It' totally possible. I've been in a surplus since November and I've gained 2 inches to my hips/butt.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Bbg340 wrote: »
    When u say heavy weights it's not heavy enough if you can do 12-15 reps of it.
    Cut it down to like 3x3, 5-4-3-2-1, 5x5, etc with heavier weights.
    Also, do one leg squats (there are a few ways to do them). It'll force you to keep your weight back on your heels and it'll hit those glutes.

This is not necessarily true, especially if we are in maintenance or a surplus. You will definitely want some accessory work in the hypertrophy range for...well, hypertrophy. Gains.
  • sarahmarie7782
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I do increase the weight but I recently stopped to improve my form. And I do 5x5 once a week when I want to build strength. I'm definitely going to try the Strong curves program after reading the reviews!