over-50 grandmother and desperate newbie

Options
Hi I'm Fergy (nickname). Too embarrassed to post a real photo. Joined MyFitnessPal today.

My current weight as of this morning is 220 1/2 pounds. This is the most I have ever weighed, in my entire life. My height is 5' 5". Basically I look like a beachball.

It's embarrassing and ridiculous and unhealthy. I hardly go out of the house anymore.

I am an over-50s grandmother and would like to find diet buddies who are also over-50s grandmothers. It's been impossible to find a diet buddy who I have anything in common with.

My desperate longing is to get fit and healthy, to be able to run and play with my grandchildren ages 10 years old and 5 years old.

I am discouraged and depressed about this situation. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi Fergy! Welcome! I'm 5'2" and weighed 213 pounds before I started MFP. I was embarrassed to go out, to put on summer clothes -- you name it. I'm not a grandmother yet (I'm 54 years old), but live with my 4 year old niece (she has energy to spare!). Feel free to add me as a friend. We all need motivation and support :)

Good luck with your journey!!

7146399.png
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    hi fergy, i'm a grandmother, fast approaching 60, to a 7 year old boy and a 4 year old girl, I was about the same weight as you wayyy back when I first started here, but I have about 20lbs left till I reach my target. its a long journey, and i'm in it till I reach the end, whenever that might be, i'll be your friend, and support the best I can, all I ask is an open diary and a daily comment
  • sherylscitneypavlacka
    Options
    I'm always looking for someone to keep me pushing myself. I'm a 52yo "Nonni" of 2 small grandchildren. (4 & 2). They are also my reason for wanting to be more fit and healthier. I've been working at losing weight now for almost 2 yrs. But on Jan 1, when I hurt my back standing up, because of my weight, I had enough! I started at that day at 241.6. today I'm at 227.5. I gave myself a mini goal of losing 30 lbs till my Wedding Day on 6/11. My ultimate goal is to get back down to 153. I have a total of 73.8lbs to reach it. Please feel free to add me as a friend! We'll reach our goal together!!
  • Marydrsaric
    Marydrsaric Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 63 year old grandma, I have a 4 year old granddaughter & 1 year old grandson, I just had a Total Knee Replacement done 6 months ago and want to lose 10 more pounds, at 50 years old I was 225#, thought I was fat and old, since I couldn't do anything about the old I could do something about the fat, My teenage children were embarrassed to be seen with me. So, I decided to take control of my live and start taking care of ME, I stared by eating half of what I normally would eat, I stopped cleaning off the table after dinner by eating that was left, rather than put it in the refrigerator, as mom's were the last one to sit-down and the first one up. After dinner I took a 30 minute walk around the block, the dishes can wait until I got back. I also used my sweating to the oldies (Richard Simmons) DVD, did that 3 nights a week, so after 15 months, I lost 75#. And in the 13 years since only Gained 10# back until my knee became very painful and prevented me from walking and working out, put on 18# in about 15 months, since my knee replacement surgery, I have been able to lose whose 18#, but struggling to lose the last 10#..I walk pain free now, about 10,000 steps a day (4-5)miles and kick boxing 20 min.3 days a week, for the last 7 weeks Without any weight loss. So, I understand where you are at.... We can support each other...
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Hi Fergy, I'm 65 and a grandmother to two and hopefully a couple more in the not too distant future. Both of our daughters are getting married this year but only one plans on having children.......

I've been here since Sept. of 2013 and have lost nearly 70 lbs. Has it been easy? No....but I have persevered and worked hard to get here and have no intention of giving up any ground. I've worked through 3 injuries and am working through the fourth one now, but I just keep going.

I decided my health was important and so I keep that in the back of my mind at all times, whether when I'm eating a meal, walking the dog or going to the gym.

I'm wishing you great success.........you can do it if you remain focused and want it bad enough!

Feel free to send me a friend request.........I try to support and inspire.
  • lhanberry1959
    lhanberry1959 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just joined tonight (tried this once and failed miserably). I'm a 56 year old grandmother of 3 and my goal is to drop 40#. Any advice?
  • pizzagirl007
    pizzagirl007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a 59 year old Grandmother. Need to lose 100+ pounds. Its been a struggle for me, I am diabetic and need to lose weight. You can friend me and we can try to encourage each other. :)
  • nrobenolt
    nrobenolt Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am a grandma of 2 boys, I am 54 and need to lose 50, have lost over 30 already.......I would be glad to help you on your journey...feel free to add me, anyone who needs a supporter!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Grandmother here also. You got this!
  • crhern59
    crhern59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Fergie!! I'm 57, no grandkids and I'm 4'10 1/2" and weigh 278 lbs...You're as beautiful as you feel inside!! You have to start loving yourself first so that you can begin your journey to weight loss...it's a tough journey but look at it as a challenging goal! I post pictures so that I can see myself as I'm progressing...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Grandmother for 20 years, you can do this!
  • doitnow0216
    doitnow0216 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I joined yesterday. I'm a 58 year old grandmother and have close to 200 lbs to lose. Anyone feel free to add me. I'm in it for the long haul.