Greek yogurt?

Options
2»

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Another thing, you could thaw out frozen berries and add that. You don't need much. When it thaws out, you get the natural fruit juice. I hate the fake flavor in Greek yogurt.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweetener for yogurt is honey, specifically wildflower honey. Then I also add frozen berries.

I mostly use yogurt in savory dishes. I eat a lot of Mexican inspired food so it's a perfect topping.

I buy plain 99.99999% of the time even if I want it sweet.

• Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Plain regular yogurt also tastes super tart. Sweetened yogurt (Greek or not) is FULL of sugar. It's alright for a treat, but I'd rather have other sugary things. So I eat Oikos triple zero, Greek yogurt fortified with fiber and sweetened with stevia. All dairy has sugar already, so I haven't had any room for added sugar (like Chobani, Yoplait, Plenti, Muller, etc.).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I buy the Costco brand nonfat greek yogurt and add a scoop of protein powder. Sometimes I'll throw in some fruit or cereal if I need extra carbs.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    This morning I had some Bolthouse Farm chocolate protein blend, a cup of greek yogurt, a scoop of protein powder, some lite chocolate syrup, and a splash of almond milk. Comes out nice and thick like a chocolate milkshake. If it would've been colder, it would have tasted exactly like a milkshake. I've just never had luck blending my ice cubes so it's smooth. It's always too chunky for me.
  • workinonit01
    workinonit01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    HEB greek is not bad and the flavored ones are really good.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I never eat plain yogurt. I like the chobani flips. They aren't really all that low in calories, but they are high in protien so I like them as a treat because I get sweet and protein and for me that is win win. I also tend to like the citrus flavors best, key lime is my favorite. But you do not have to eat yogurt. I am not going to eat something that I don't like. My husband keeps telling me how awesome grapefruits are, but I don't like them so I refuse to eat them.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Remember you don't have to eat anything you don't like! Greek yogurt isn't a requirement- find something else that is satisfying to you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting a variety in protein sources and Greek Yogurt doesn't do it for you, how about cheese? It has higher fat but as long as you weigh it out it can be highly enjoyable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it...it's not like it's magical. It has a bit more protein than regular yogurt and that's about it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I know this stuff is so much better for you than regular yogurt but the taste just kills me. I bought plain Greek yogurt yesterday for making smoothies, cooking, more for my husband than me, but I could barely take the smell let alone drink the smoothie, which I blended a half cup with vanilla extract, raspberries, skim milk, ice and eventually equal because it just was so tart. Any suggestions on how to make this stuff more palatable?

When I buy plain, I find the only use for it is as a sour cream replacement or in various savory applications. I can't stand the plain stuff in sweet things. I buy the sweetened kind for breakfast...

Same here, I use plain greek yogurt only where I would have used sour cream (because that's almost exactly what it tastes like to me). I enjoy the Dannon Triple Zero greek yogurt, eat that stuff every day.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I love Greek Yogurt so I sneak it in whenever I can. Really, it's only superiority over regular yogurt is a slightly higher protein because some of the liquid has been removed by straining. If you like a regular yogurt, maybe see if you like it strained through cheesecloth overnight.

Different brands have a different taste and texture. Experiment. The first time I had a full-fat organic yogurt, lemon flavoured, I was transported. I had no idea yogurt could be so creamy and good.

Also try the vanilla flavoured, if sweet is your thing.

Liberte Vanilla Greek Yogurt is delicious!!!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on it, try Skyer. Its like Greek yogurt on steroids. :)

I make full fat skyr at home, with a 24 hour fermentation to get rid of the lactose, which is like skyr on steroids.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have Fage 0% with Myprotein Flavdrops.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sf syrup maple
    Sf chocolate syrup
    Frozen berries
    Cinnamon
    Oatmeal
    Cereal
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    And see, I love the tartness of plain Greek yogurt. I put fresh fruit on/in it, and *maybe* a small drizzle of honey but usually not, and that's enough to make it sweet for me.
    Then again, I'm of close Greek descent. So maybe I'm genetically predisposed? ;)
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The only "real magic" of greek yogurt is its thicker and has more protein. Try a regular full fat yogurt, you may like it better.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Mix it with half a scoop of protein powder and a packet or two of sweetener. SO good
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I know this stuff is so much better for you than regular yogurt but the taste just kills me. I bought plain Greek yogurt yesterday for making smoothies, cooking, more for my husband than me, but I could barely take the smell let alone drink the smoothie, which I blended a half cup with vanilla extract, raspberries, skim milk, ice and eventually equal because it just was so tart. Any suggestions on how to make this stuff more palatable?

Tart means not fresh. Not unsafe for consumption, but not fresh. The closer to production date, the less tart.