Beginners work out routine

Options
I'm planning on working out everyday. 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training. I like to do elliptical for cardio. I would appreciate any suggestions on strength training routine for beginners. Please share your ideas

Replies

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5 is a good place to start lifting (and go for quite a while)
  • musikplayr
    musikplayr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The site aworkoutroutine.com has some sensible advice. I'm doing it now and it seems to be working. I'd start there.
  • Ani2bfit
    Ani2bfit Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the ideas. Both strong lifts 5x5 website and http://aworkoutroutine.com/ suggests strength training every other day. I can work with that :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts takes a lot longer than 30 minutes when you start, though, because your rests between sets are sometimes 3 minutes.
  • Ani2bfit
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    StrongLifts takes a lot longer than 30 minutes when you start, though, because your rests between sets are sometimes 3 minutes.
    I might have to customize some I suppose.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in body-weight (no equipment) strength training check out Darebee.com. workouts, programs and more all adjustable to your level, plus a really awesome group of people
  • Ani2bfit
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    If you are interested in body-weight (no equipment) strength training check out Darebee.com. workouts, programs and more all adjustable to your level, plus a really awesome group of people

Thanks, will do!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Typically you want to exercise a muscle group and then give it a day (or more) off. This lends well to various schemes from:
    * 3x/week full body (both Strong Lifts and aworkoutroutines' beginner program utilize this)
    * Push/Pull/Lower (3x/week or do that 2x for 6x/week)
    * PHUL (power & hypertrophy, Upper & Lower for 4x/week)
    * and so on...

Beginner programs tend to utilize the 3x/week full body routine because it is highly effective for beginners and provides great bang for your buck (time & effort).

If you don't want to do a barbell program like StrongLifts, Starting Strength, etc... then you could do a dumbbell program (Fierce 5 dumbbell program, there is a "stop gap" program on Reddit that is decent, or a program that uses a variety of tools like Strong Curves. Or, you could even go and do a bodyweight program like startbodyweight.com beginner routine. However, I think all of them are 3x/week and I do not know of any good strength programs that are 7x/week. Modifying them to 7x/week is probably not a good idea as you will probably get less effective workouts.

SL5x5 should start out short with ~30-45 minutes of exercising since you should be starting with light weights. However, expect the length to increase as you really start to push yourself and need longer breaks between sets. If a 1hr workout is too long, then you could do PPL, which is sometimes a shorter workout, or you could just do strength 3x/week and cardio 3x/week and take the 7th day off (or do cardio, whatever).