1200 calories and metabolism

Options
So I have been consuming mostly 1200 calories a day around 80-90% of days since last June. I see so many articles and videos claiming 1200 is too low for anyone. I'm only 4'11, but as I read more about how not eating enough can hinder my weight loss and damage my metabolism, I'm not sure what to do. Should I increase my calories? I'm also exercising every day now. I'm afraid I'll gain weight back if I eat more. Should I slowly bump up my calories?

Replies

• terooru
    terooru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost since June? I eat 1700 calories a day but I'm also 5'8.
  • emyleer115
    emyleer115 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 45 pounds! In December I got a little off track
  • Violetenergy03
    Violetenergy03 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also 4'11 and would like to know this as well. I find it difficult to find any solid advice for anyone under 5'0. I am also not that active.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and lost my 30 lbs eating 1200 cals. That gave me a deficit of 500 cals (1lbs a week) when I was 130 lbs, and about a 250 cal deficit (.5lbs a week) or less from 120 lbs to 105 lbs.

I also are back exercise calories. I worked out that my average 60min burn was 200 cals so ate back 175-125 cals.

1200 is not advised if you are taller and have a lot to lose and this gives you a 2+lbs a week loss. A slower rate of loss with more calories means more nutrition.

For us petite people a well balanced nutritious diet, with nice treats thrown in, of 1200cals if fine. Do eat back your exercise calories though. You need the extra nutrition to fuel the exercise.

Cheers, h.
  • terooru
    Options
    Do you feel hungry at the end of the day? Do you ever go on binges (usually for a day or two or during the weekend?) I would recommend about 1400 calories as long as you exercise. If you aren't exercising I would stay at 1200-1300. If you are full before reaching 1400 calories I wouldn't eat anymore. It sounds like 1200 was working well for you considering you lost 45lbs (congrats!!!!) but I also feel like it would be hard to maintain for long periods of time. Cut yourself some slack and up your calorie intake to about 1400. If you want this to be a lifestyle change you should never go hungry. You could always add in more veggies to reach this goal new calorie goal that way you have some "mental security" and know you won't be gaining any of your weight back. My macros are 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein. If you feel uncomfortable with increasing your calorie intake you could adjust your macros.
  • terooru
    Options
    Also, I have always been advised not to eat back the calories I have burned because that's counterproductive. If you are exercising and feel that 1200 calories is not enough increasing your calorie intake to 1300-1400 is recommended. That way your body can use those calories to fuel your workout unlike working out and eating every calorie back that you burned (if that makes sense). It's more of a mental thing. If you exercise and see that you've burned 567 calories you're gonna wanna eat all that back even if you don't need it. Yet if you stick with a set calorie goal every day your body will become accustomed to it. Depends on your willpower and self restraint
  • emyleer115
    emyleer115 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No I'm never hungry unless I eat less than 1200 calories (never on purpose of course). Carbs scare me. Even though they probably shouldn't. Idk, I have always been a little thicker and I gain weight fairly easily. I have carbs set at 30 or 35%, protein at 30% and fat at 35%. And I really eat relatively healthy. I eat lean meats, only healthy fats, and I try to get in veggies (I don't like them much unless they're covered in soy sauce and brown sugar
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    terooru wrote: »
    Also, I have always been advised not to eat back the calories I have burned because that's counterproductive. If you are exercising and feel that 1200 calories is not enough increasing your calorie intake to 1300-1400 is recommended. That way your body can use those calories to fuel your workout unlike working out and eating every calorie back that you burned (if that makes sense). It's more of a mental thing. If you exercise and see that you've burned 567 calories you're gonna wanna eat all that back even if you don't need it. Yet if you stick with a set calorie goal every day your body will become accustomed to it. Depends on your willpower and self restraint

You should eat your exercise calories back when you follow the NEAT method ( which MFP is)
    Because the calories given is just for existing not to also exercise ( which is TDEE)

You go to the minimum and than demand of your body to work out?....for a lot of people a bad idea and muscle loss.

@middlehaitch is right....she is petite and experienced she knows....:)

for me i did some months 1200 calories a day till it got upped with 100 at the time. And i ate 50% of my exercise calories on top of that
    I lost 114 lbs in 400 days...with no problem at all.

Maintaining now on 2000-2100 ( TDEE) so i eat all my exercise back and try to hold steady in the range of 143 lbs...but still lose weight it seems...slowly...very slowly

95069916.png

• terooru
    Options
    "Unless you’re exercising at a moderate to high intensity for an hour or more, several times a week, or are actively trying to gain weight, you most likely don’t need to be worried about eating all of those calories back.

The main reason is this: It’s easy, and fairly common to overestimate calorie burn (both from everyday activity and from exercise) and underestimate calorie consumption. By going out of your way to eat back every calorie you expend during exercise, you may unintentionally undermine your efforts to lose or maintain your weight. Additionally, you could be overriding your body’s hunger cues if you don’t feel particularly keen for those exercise calories but eat (or drink) them back them anyway. If your body isn’t telling you it needs fuel, it’s best to save your exercise calories for when you want them–say, for an unexpected hunger pang or a weekend treat meal with friends." Check out this article!!! http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "Unless you’re exercising at a moderate to high intensity for an hour or more, several times a week, or are actively trying to gain weight, you most likely don’t need to be worried about eating all of those calories back.

The main reason is this: It’s easy, and fairly common to overestimate calorie burn (both from everyday activity and from exercise) and underestimate calorie consumption. By going out of your way to eat back every calorie you expend during exercise, you may unintentionally undermine your efforts to lose or maintain your weight. Additionally, you could be overriding your body’s hunger cues if you don’t feel particularly keen for those exercise calories but eat (or drink) them back them anyway. If your body isn’t telling you it needs fuel, it’s best to save your exercise calories for when you want them–say, for an unexpected hunger pang or a weekend treat meal with friends." Check out this article!!! http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/

Or you may unintentionally mall nutrition your body
    Like me eating 1200 calories a day and exercising around 400 ( yes NET burn and pretty accurate) which means i keep to try to keep a body alive at 800 calories a day!

And yes you can overestimate your exercise. But when you eat half back you are on the safe side...Now when your calorie intake is higher and you dont eat back...well oke. It is not how MFP system is meaning to be used but the risk of mal-nutrition and the medical issues like hair loss, bros nails, organ failure and for women hormone issues and losing their period is smaller.

This is also what the article says.... dont worry about it when you have a lower exercise burn for a few times a week and you eat 1500 to 2200 calories.

But we are talking here about 1200!!!!!

BTW i noticed that a lot of dietitians and nutritionist give advice for TDEE! and that is different from the NEAT method that MFP uses!

95069916.png
  • middlehaitch
    Options

Or you may unintentionally mall nutrition your body
    Like me eating 1200 calories a day and exercising around 400 ( yes NET burn and pretty accurate) which means i keep to try to keep a body alive at 800 calories a day!

And yes you can overestimate your exercise. But when you eat half back you are on the safe side...Now when your calorie intake is higher and you dont eat back...well oke. It is not how MFP system is meaning to be used but the risk of mal-nutrition and the medical issues like hair loss, bros nails, organ failure and for women hormone issues and losing their period is smaller.

This is also what the article says.... dont worry about it when you have a lower exercise burn for a few times a week and you eat 1500 to 2200 calories.

But we are talking here about 1200!!!!!

95069916.png

+1^^^
    I was just working on how to say what you said so well.

Also. If you want you can work out how many calories you burn per hour exercising by extrapolating the data you have collected from MFP over a 6-8 week period of accurate logging of food and exercise.

Cheers, h.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7" and mfp started me at 1260 but dropped it to 1200 soon after i started and i started at 287lbs im at 204lbs now and still eating 1200 and been doing this since August 2015 and im fine my doctor and dietitian said 1200 - 1300 i dont know maybe its my age 51 years
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @chulipa MFP has you at that goal because you are wanting to lose 2lbs a week. That is a daily deficit of 1000 calories.

Glad to hear you are working with a medical team. Congrats on your loss so far.

Nothing to do with your age. Our metabolism starts slowing in our 20's at around 50-100 cals per decade depending on size and gender.

At 62, healthy, active, and with reasonable muscle retention, I probably have eat 150 cals less a day than I could at 22 to maintain my weight.

Cheers, h.
  • bodyfuelnutritionllc
    Options
    Eat your burned calories off in lean protein. Works best for me. Good luck.