Disappointed in myself

Options
I was doing so good until the last week of May. I fell off the band wagon and now it's been a month and a GAINED 10 pounds! I am really upset at myself and feel like a failure. I fell back into my old habits and wasn't getting the support I used to get at home. It was pure laziness that lead me astray. I just want to know if I am the only one who has "let a little turn into a lot" when it came to failing at their diet goals. I feel crummy about it and need to realize that to error is to be human.

Replies

• HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    Try not to be so hard on yourself ... the only way you are a failure is to give up completely. Keep going ... never give up!!
  • canmancan
    canmancan Posts: 14
    Options
    It happened to me during my year back at school. I kept exercising until the winter then started with excuses. By the end of the program, I was so upset at myself but set myself back on track. Just think about ten pounds as a month- month and a half and you will be where you were, and refocused. We all slip, its how we learn from it and what we do about it that matters.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's normal, but it's time to get back to work!

Forget beating yourself up over it. Just start again.

Good luck!
  • folsomb
    folsomb Posts: 5
    Options
    PandaBear79,
    Don't let a month of falling off get you down. I have been struggling with my weight my whole life and you just have to learn to take things one day at a time. If you have a bad day, so what, get up the next day and start again. As for the support at home, that will happen from time to time but YOU have to be your best supporter. All the little things you do right will eventually add up and you will reach your goal.
    Keep it up!!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I can promise you that the majority of those 10 pounds will be water retention from eating too much salty food. I promise you that if you completely forget about that month and carry on as though you hadn't 'fallen off the bandwagon' those 10 pounds will shift pretty fast. Less salty foods, more water and some exercise over the next few weeks and you'll see the back of those 10 pounds.
  • AmyBMelt13
    AmyBMelt13 Posts: 20
    Options
    Try not to be so hard on yourself ... the only way you are a failure is to give up completely. Keep going ... never give up!!

I second that!
  • herdqt21
    herdqt21 Posts: 12
    Options
    Can't do anything about the past...hop back on the wagon girlfriend!!!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I gained and lost the same five pounds from the end of January till the end of April. It happens. Just get back on the wagon TODAY, and stay with it. Log every day, no matter how bad it is.
  • bbecker613
    bbecker613 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OMG welcome to my story lol. I have had the same problem. know just what your going thru. feels embarrassing to come on here and check in especially when everyone is doing so well.. I got back on the wagon today myself. didn't exercise but ate better so that's a start I guess.. drank lots of water too. I lost 6 pds then after i looked again I had gained 5 pds more than I started at ...ugh!!
    So. don't give up keep trying and well get thru this...well that's what i keep hearing.. i know.. easier said than done.. i wish i had everyone's motivation.. although looking in the mirror should be enough lol
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well Panda, you are clearly not the only one who has taken a slightly more round about way to get to your goal. So, you fell into old familiar habits for a while, SO what I say. Chances are all of us here have done this at least once, maybe for a day, a week, a month, a year, a decade or our entire lives. But every day literally can be a new day. By all means allow yourself to feel crummy for a day and then 'Get on with it". As the sun rises again or as your next meal approaches you get to return to smarter ways, better eating, getting in shape, just like that. "No one who experiences success has not also tasted failure" I am sure somewhat has said this before somewhere.
    Lastly, to continue your own quote "To err is to be human, to forgive, divine" so forgive yourself and carry on.
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    I went through that for all of May and part of June. I gained back 7 pounds before I got back on track. I've lost that 7 plus 4 more so far. You will push through it!!!!!! It's hard. Very very hard... But you can do it. If you're not getting support at home just get on here. People are great here cause we all want the same thing... To be healthy. Feel free to add me if you want any help at all :happy:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yup. Be kind to yourself. You have realised what has happened and now you can move forward and do what you really want to do.

Be strong. You can handle this. :)
  • Julia_A_Williams
    Options
    "To err is to be human, to forgive, divine" so forgive yourself and carry on.

AMEN to that
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I did so good up until Fall of last year. .. since then I have been "off & on" and have gained back 40 of the 60 lbs that I had lost. So NO you're not the only one and my advice (from my own bad experience) is don't be too hard on yourself and just get right back into this and don't look back. What's done is done, so unless you can use it as motivation just forget it and move forward!! I know you will!!:flowerforyou:
  • ses278
    ses278 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about it! As you can see, we all go through it. I would like to say though you might want to think about why it happened. Did you go through a stressful time (that is usually my problem)? Did you find that you weren't feeling satisfied? While we all go through it, it is also important to identify the warning signs so it doesn't happen again. If you are getting stressed out, exercise instead of eating. If you aren't feeling satisfied, indulge on occassion and/or add 100-200 calories per day. You won't be losing weight quite as fast, but in the long run you will be able to stick with it. But most of all, just accept that it happened and get back on track. :)
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Far too many dieters fall off and gain back the weight. The figure is about 72%. Part of the problem is they are using a temporary solution to a permanent problem. Any change you make to lose weight needs to be for good. Make ones you can live with and love. Then it will stick. Don't beat yourself up, just dust off and get back on. You can absolutely do it.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The past is the past for a reason. Look and plan for tomorrow. Everyone fails, we are after all human! :)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister. I have been in a funk myself. A bit of depression, maybe stressed... I don't really know what it is. Seriously, I am one pound away from meeting my "Under 200" goal, and I fell off the wagon a bit. I have a hand hanging on, but seriously I know exactly how you feel. So, let's brush ourselves off & get'er done! Oh yeah, and I am heading out on a min vacation, so it will be even harder to be good, but I'm going to try! Are ya with me?? :flowerforyou:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I did the same thing a year ago but it turned into the whole year and 63 additional pounds after an initial 40 pounds. Use this time to figure out why you fell off the wagon and try to change the things that caused your derailment. As canmancan called it, a slip can be summed up as follows:

S uccess
    L ost
    I t's
    P riority

You need to figure out what replaced your success as the top priority in your life.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I joined in December, lost 13 lbs in 8 weeks. Then, my grandmother became terminally ill. During her illness I completely fell off the wagon, gained 8 lbs in 2 months. She ended up passing on March 31. After that I decided to get back on it for her and for myself. Sofar so good. Just get back on it. You will have setbacks along the way.

The difference between failure and a setback is how you move forward.