Weights

Options
I stared lifting weights a week ago with cardio how long did it take for you to notice a difference in your body and getting stronger?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you have good programming, strength gains should be fairly linear and come pretty quickly as a beginner...but like I said, this is very dependent on solid programming.

As far as your body changing, it's going to be very small changes over a looooonnnnnggggg period of time. A fitness body is derived from living that lifestyle for years. I've been back into lifting for over three years and the only way I really see the differences between now and then is looking at pictures or when I see someone I haven't seen in awhile and they're like, "damn muscles..." The changes are very slow...so slow as to be hardly noticeable in the short run. It's a long term proposition. And again, good programming is going to garner the most efficient results. *kitten* programming is going to leave you spinning your wheels.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I started lifting months ago but for various reasons (LIFE and an injury) have not been consistent with it for more than a few weeks at a time. I also do cardio on non-lifting days and have been pretty consistent with that. When I focus on lifting I start noticing definite differences within 2 weeks. Not visible differences, bur feelings of being stronger and "more in shape" if that makes any sense. Feelings I don't necessarily get with cardio. I love this feeling, it is a huge motivator. I'm trying now to be consistent with lifting more long-term.
  • torrielewis1991
    torrielewis1991 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I got a memebership almost 2 weeks ago I've gone 5 days a week I do cardio first then lift for about 30 to 45 mins I also walk home now since it's getting nicer I eat healthy and I've gained a 1/2 in on my waist since then. I'm wanting to lose fat on my arms and also gain muscle. Idk if I'm going at this the wrong way or right. I just see these other women lifting so much higher weight and I feel like a pansy lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I got a memebership almost 2 weeks ago I've gone 5 days a week I do cardio first then lift for about 30 to 45 mins I also walk home now since it's getting nicer I eat healthy and I've gained a 1/2 in on my waist since then. I'm wanting to lose fat on my arms and also gain muscle. Idk if I'm going at this the wrong way or right. I just see these other women lifting so much higher weight and I feel like a pansy lol

Pick one goal first. If you have fat to lose, eat at a deficit and except the scale to go down. Beginners may be able to make a little bit of muscle gain in a deficit, but in general you should be getting SMALLER while lifting in a deficit. You should also have a specific training program with a progressive overload.
  • torrielewis1991
    Options
    I have small goals I measure myself once a week. I'm trying to lose 12 pounds before my birthday on may 31
  • musikplayr
    musikplayr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It was a couple weeks, anyway. I knew I had to start because I looked like I was sick. Losing weight without lifting equals losing muscle, too.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to see the visible changes but that's because they're so gradual. It helps to take progress pictures, it seems more visible then.
  • jessekuhel
    jessekuhel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My gains came quickly muscle and strength wise but I wasn't in bad shape before I started muscle gains I would say are more about quality contraction and not actual weight because what's heavy to you might not be heavy for someone else so I'm going to say gains in muscle are from quality reps and contraction
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    1 or 2 days tops
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    ...cardio first then lift for about 30 to 45 mins I also walk home now since it's getting nicer I eat healthy and I've gained a 1/2 in on my waist since then. I'm wanting to lose fat on my arms and also gain muscle. Idk if I'm going at this the wrong way or right. I just see these other women lifting so much higher weight and I feel like a pansy lol

It doesn't sound like you're following a lifting program. Pick one and follow it, you'll get results. If you're also trying to lose weight make sure you're eating at a deficit. Eating healthy does not equal eating at a deficit. At this point focus on losing weight/fat and retaining muscle. But please pick a good beginner's program otherwise you'll likely just spin your wheels with minimal progress.

• awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Appearance changes vary. But strength changes can show up in a week if you do it right.
  • IllustratedHistory
    Options
    Rule of thumb for consistent exercise: takes 6 weeks to see real changes in your own body, 10 weeks for your friends and family to notice, 12+ weeks for co-workers, acquaintances, the rest of the world. Anything you see see before those times is just gravy, but don't get discouraged if you don't see big changes right away.

This helped me a lot, I got discouraged when I saw virtually no progress my first full month of lifting, but when the changes do come, they are worth the wait!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Doing Joyce Vedral's Weight Training Made Easy program, I noticed results in about two weeks- tiny things, like biceps that move when I pick up the frying pan, etc. The first time I did it, I was already pretty strong and outgrew the program pretty quickly (read as, got bored with the same exercises, just different weights). This time, I'm starting from being uber-weak following years of inactivity, so maybe I'm seeing results faster because I'm a weakling.
    But pick a program, and stick with it for at least a month, and make sure you take appropriate rest days! Muscles need recovery to grow. :)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy and I've gained a 1/2 in on my waist since then.

Who is this healthy and why do you eat them?
  • torrielewis1991
    Options
    So I have to pick a method of weight lifting? I can't just do reps? I didn't realize there was programs out there so fat what I've been doing switch up every day what I do i pick arms one day legs the next back est. I don't do the same thing thing every day either . I ate about 1200/1400 cals a day I eat high protein and fiber foods.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    So I have to pick a method of weight lifting? I can't just do reps? I didn't realize there was programs out there so fat what I've been doing switch up every day what I do i pick arms one day legs the next back est. I don't do the same thing thing every day either . I ate about 1200/1400 cals a day I eat high protein and fiber foods.

Yes, there are very good full-body beginner's weight lifting programs. Google Stronglifts or All Pro Beginner's routine. These program are designed to help you progress, they provide the lifts, set reps and when to add weight. What you've been doing will not give you any real results, especially for a beginner.
  • Katie0630
    Katie0630 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You'll start noticing changes in about 6 weeks
    Rule of thumb for consistent exercise: takes 6 weeks to see real changes in your own body, 10 weeks for your friends and family to notice, 12+ weeks for co-workers, acquaintances, the rest of the world. Anything you see see before those times is just gravy, but don't get discouraged if you don't see big changes right away.

This helped me a lot, I got discouraged when I saw virtually no progress my first full month of lifting, but when the changes do come, they are worth the wait!

This is true. It will take a while to see changes. However, you will be able to make gains as far as how much weight you lift fairly quickly. Stick with it!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    While weight lifting is awesome, you won't really see a big difference unless your diet is in check. I noticed in your open diary that you generically log everything. I suggest getting a food scale, also when you add lifting into your routine you might want to consider upping the calorie intake a bit.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I stared lifting weights a week ago with cardio how long did it take for you to notice a difference in your body and getting stronger?

Coming from losing 125 lbs, now working on that last 10...I achieved most of the loss through cardio (running/hiking/biking, etc...a bit of yoga in the beginning but it's been a while.) When I started circuit training and weights about 5 weeks ago, it took 2-3 weeks for me to see slight changes (which my partner pointed out). I'm doing it now at the same time as slight restriction (1/2 lb per week) so that may help too.
    Best of luck!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    For me it takes about 4 weeks. But, the feeling you get while you're lifting is great! I love being sore too.