Are there any other MFP users that work nightshift’s?

Options
Hi,

Are there any other MFP users that work nightshift’s?......just curious to know how you record your intakes on the App.

I’ve been using MFP on and off for 14 months now……it’s helped me focus on losing 48lb so far. Never used the community bit before so bear with me.

I can’t make my mind up on the best way to record my info…. I work a 6pm to 6am nightshift 4 nights a week. At the moment I tend to eat and record “breakfast” when I eat it at 4pm…..”lunch” around 7pm and dinner is always midnight-1am-ish which means it defaults to the next day……now it’s no hardship changing the day back to complete my intake for that day.

The problem for me is always when I finish my last shift….i get home on that morning, sleep for 3-4 hours then get up so that I can go back to bed that night to get my body clock back into daylight mode for my 4 nights off…..by doing this I normally only eat 2 small meals on that first night off which is below my calorie intake for the day and therefore will not record on MFP because it deems it insufficient calorie intake for the day…..i end up just bulking out the calories of food I haven’t eaten to get it to record.

Interested to find out how other NS workers get around this.

Cheers,

Simon

Replies

• BrideSept2017
    BrideSept2017 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I work 10p-7a, and my meals are usually breakfast at 6p, lunch at midnight, and dinner at 8a. I put breakfast on tomorrow's diary, then lunch and dinner default to the next day. I work 4 nights a week, and they are not always back to back, so I usually just stay on roughly my night schedule on my days off. However, when I do need to switch, I put my meals wherever they will fit. If I still have calories for the day, great, if not they go on the next day. This means I usually switch to a new day around 3pm, or after lunch. I try to go by weekly totals so this works out. It's also then easier to switch back to my night routine.
  • hannamuscha
    hannamuscha Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also work 10p to 7a. I don't eat breakfast anymore though. I used to just log it all on the day after midnight. Then lunch at 2am dinner at 8am. On my days off I try to keep logging them at the same times. So if I eat at 6pm it goes under breakfast even if I've been awake all day. Works alright for me.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Swing Shift here. 1400-0030 hours. There's no difference. I log what I eat, When I eat it. I don't care what I call it breakfast, lunch or dinner, Calories are calories.
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    Options
    I work 10:30 - 7:00 am , I don't worry about how it logs my meals. I just input what I eat at the time I eat it. When I get home from work, sometimes I actually eat a breakfast meal, sometimes a snack and other times it's leftovers from the nite before. It's meaningless to me to think of it any different. It's still just calories in no matter how you view it.
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I always sleep during the day. Record my first meal at 4pm as breakfast. Whatever meals I eat during the night go on lunch and dinner. I end the day at 8 am.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I work rotating shift, including 11pm-7am. When I am on nights, I try to eat with my family as much as possible, so my diary is a little different than most here.

Say I work 11 pm Sunday to 7 am Monday...

Monday morning:
    I get home at 7:30 and eat breakfast with my daughter. This is before I go to sleep, but I have breakfast-type food and log it as breakfast.
    I go to sleep around 9 and sleep until 3 or 4.
    I may have a snack if dinner will be late.
    I eat dinner at 6ish and log it as dinner.
    I have a snack before work, around 10 pm. Logged as snack.
    I go to work at 10:30 pm Monday night.
    I have something to eat around 3-4 am. Usually something like greek yoghurt, berries and granola, veggies and hummus, potato chips once a week ;). I log this under snacks on Tuesday, as it is now past midnight.

Basically, I log from midnight to midnight, but I eat "breakfast" before I go to sleep and "dinner" a couple hours after I get up. When I am on nights, I won't have anything logged under lunch, but will have a lot under snacks.