Why am I scared of calories?!

Options
I'm 5'10, 19, about 225 pound and I've had a weight problem my entire life. But every time I try to lose weight I get obsessed with calories. Although on MFP I have my calories set at 1400 a day, I constantly find myself at every meal trying to cut calories. Some days I only eat like 600 calories. What are some ways I can overcome my anxiety about calories? I just want to be healthy.

Replies

• KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Your car can only go so far without gas. Think about it like that. Those calories are meant to be the fuel for your body to lose the weight you need to lose. If you do not eat your calories the way you should, it's just like driving your car on empty. You could only get so far before your engine gives up. Seriously, don't be scared to eat your calories. And if you work out in a day and burn lets say, 200 calories, you should eat those calories back up. It's not hard depending on what you pick. Peanut butter is an easy calorie builder and it's good for you (protein). Add apple slices and man what a snack that will be. Avocados is another easy calorie builder. Give it a try and "fuel" up that car of yours.
  • ohhaiitsshelby
    ohhaiitsshelby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I never thought of it like that :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There is nothing at all healthy about only eating 600 calories. You have to be kind to your body to get the results you want. Starving it of nutrients it needs to function properly is not kind or healthy.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been there, my pleasure. Trust me when I tell you it works.
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Look at your food as fuel, without it your body won't go!! Eating so little is terrible for your metabolism and will actually halt weight loss.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You'll end up bigger in the long run. Just eat what MFP suggests.
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Calories keep you alive :)
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, this is very very common, and hugely difficult to get past no matter how much you know intellectually about fueling your workout and whatnot. It's exactly why I don't count calories any more than I absolutely have to, and I've never had real weight problems.

It sucks a lot. Just keep telling yourself what other people in this thread have told you, and trust that collective wisdom when you don't want to trust yourself.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat the minimum of what your body needs (which could be anywhere from 1200 calories to 75% of TDEE depending on your philosophy) you will eventually start seeing negative effects and will fail. When I was 19 and had 60 lbs to lose I did great for the first 15-20, then started unreasonably cutting back, even as low as 500 a day. By the time I hit 30 down I would have days that I couldn't make it to class because I was dizzy and nauseated from not eating enough. When I started eating normally again I got into binging behavior that I had never had before because my body was so deprived. Over the next 8 years I put the 30 back on plus 60 more. Trust me, do it the right way once so you don't have to do it again later.
  • giantwisdom
    giantwisdom Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    At your height and weight, you should not be eating 600 calories on some days. That is ridiculously low and a recipe for disaster. You will wreck your metabolism and go on massive binges if you keep that up.

My advice is to ignore calories for now and focus on food quality first. Change the types of foods you're eating, not the quantities. Eat as much as you want of the right foods (whole, unprocessed foods) and stick to them for a few weeks, and see how you feel. I would be shocked if you didn't feel much better, have more energy, and to boot, actually be significantly lighter on the scale.

Calorie restriction has its place on a diet, but the restriction should never approach the level you're eating on some days. What you eat is the primary driver of weight loss, with how much you eat being of secondary importance.
  • ashtoncm394
    ashtoncm394 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Calories can become very value laden! Try to think of a calorie as what it is...a unit of energy, which are not good or bad. Your body needs the energy to do things like keep your heart beating and all other metabolic processes. Try to separate the emotional part from it maybe?
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being 'obsessed' with calories!! Just make sure you are obsessed with tracking and staying as close to your allowance as possible... instead of obsessed with how little you can eat. Your food choices will help you to be satisfied and not be hungry so eat nutrient food rich foods to support your body and immune system etc and also drink your 2ltrs+ of water it will help everything!!
    If you like being obsessive then aim to hit your macros over a daily or weekly view.
    Enjoy!
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me btw
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you want to be scared straight, know that eating too few calories can lead to serious health problems, like heart rhythm problems and gall bladder attacks. You need the nutrients that comes with food, and the calories that your body needs to work properly.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of calories. I feel a lot better when I have 1800 calories a day vs 1400 a day.
    Side question - why is your calorie goal so low? I'm 5'9" and a decade older than you and I lost the majority of my weight eating 1800 a day. The only reason I've kept the weight off is because I feel satisfied the majority of the time and that keeps me from bingeing.
  • ohhaiitsshelby
    ohhaiitsshelby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My resting metabolic rate is 1600 because of my activity level -.-
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Calories are your friend, because tracking them will help you manage your weight ALL the time. Then you won't need to go on weight loss efforts repeatedly. It sounds like you're ignoring calories most of the time, then stressing about them when you decide you want to cut. You need to be MORE concerned about calories more of the time so that once you achieve your goal weight you can maintain it long term.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    KAYRRIE wrote: »
    Your car can only go so far without gas. Think about it like that. Those calories are meant to be the fuel for your body to lose the weight you need to lose. If you do not eat your calories the way you should, it's just like driving your car on empty. You could only get so far before your engine gives up. Seriously, don't be scared to eat your calories. And if you work out in a day and burn lets say, 200 calories, you should eat those calories back up. It's not hard depending on what you pick. Peanut butter is an easy calorie builder and it's good for you (protein). Add apple slices and man what a snack that will be. Avocados is another easy calorie builder. Give it a try and "fuel" up that car of yours.

+1...also nuts, they are great to top up the calories...or icecream...NUTELLA (my fave!), cheeses, loaded baked sweet potatoes...all yummy, all good for you!

lol..I got excited there...maybe not the icecream so much, but a small bowl will top up your calories! :)
  • janellsosajs
    janellsosajs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Eat every 2.5-3 hours (make your snacks anywhere between 100-200 calories) and include protein at every meal. Also eat an hour after you wake up, and at least an hour or two before bed, don't skip meals. This will keep you satisfied and keep your metabolism continously burning. Avoid a lot of processed foods eat whole grains, veggies, protein, nuts, and fruits. But I'm sure you already new all that ;)
  • janellsosajs
    janellsosajs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Correction **Eat within an hour after you wake up**