Options
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    I did not know that.

I'd heard it.. but wanted to be sure :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    0.001 calories per gram per degree C of extra temperature is the number of calories to add for heating, approximately.

100g of blueberries at 40 C compared to 20C = 2 extra calories.

What counts as "extra" temperature? Like, what's the baseline on which one would expect the USDA calorie count for blueberries was calculated?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OP, don't drive yourself too crazy with this. Blueberries that were harvested a couple days earlier than others will have less calories than the later harvest, ones that grew in even slightly higher temperature environments will also be slightly higher... unless you know the absolute minutiae of the temperature at which the berries grew through the whole process, the extra cals from microwaving won't make a bit of difference, and really wouldn't be accurate in any event, as there is up to a 20% margin of error in any recorded calorie count.
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    FWIW, perhaps an interesting read on the subject for the unfamiliar (come to your own conclusion; there's plenty of room for more research): http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2011/12/08/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-cooked-food-provides-a-lot-more-energy/#.Vs1yAa2-3n4
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I also find this interesting-thanks OP. However, I agree that the change in calories is minimal and won't sabotage your weight loss. Good on you for wanting to be accurate--we need more people like you.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So heating blueberries adds calories? How? Does the microwave add sugar? I think it might just be a matter of "concentrating" the calories rather than adding any. Experiment A: So if you take 100 gr of raw berries, microwave them and weigh them again - do they now weigh less? Do they contain the same amount of sugar? Does sugar evaporate? Is life too short? Weigh your berries, log them, eat them - any which way you like. :-)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Izzwoz wrote: »
    So heating blueberries adds calories? How? Does the microwave add sugar? I think it might just be a matter of "concentrating" the calories rather than adding any. Experiment A: So if you take 100 gr of raw berries, microwave them and weigh them again - do they now weigh less? Do they contain the same amount of sugar? Does sugar evaporate? Is life too short? Weigh your berries, log them, eat them - any which way you like. :-)

That's what I'm wondering. Is it dehydration altering the weight or does the heating change the structure or chemical composition.
  • Lov3lif3
    Lov3lif3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like heating berries to have with yogurt and I will add the extra 2 per 100g. It may to miniscule but so is thinking a tsp of sugar isn't worth adding. I'm hoping to Change my way of eating by counting each calorie to lose weight.. after all it's because of my "not counting" the off thing here and there.. Why I am here and over weight.!
    So... A Fresh look and all that.. thanks for all your comments.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    0.001 calories per gram per degree C of extra temperature is the number of calories to add for heating, approximately.

What counts as "extra" temperature? Like, what's the baseline on which one would expect the USDA calorie count for blueberries was calculated?

Above room temperature or whatever base temperature USDA use.

I don't know the convention in nutrition, but in Thermodynamics generally either 0 or 25 C tend to be common.
    "Atwater and Rosa (63) defined the Calorie at 20°C and noted that it was slightly larger than the 18°C unit employed by Armsby (64)." according to http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/12/2957.full
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have learned something new today! who'd have thought heated fruit = a few more cals....
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    How on earth can simply heating something up add calories? Where do they come from? Do the blueberries absorb microwave energy somehow and turn it into calories? Interesting. Does this apply to all food? Because I use my microwave a lot.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is a question I've been curious about. I like my bananas a little green, I find the very mature ones too sweet. Same banana left on the counter for a week and it tastes much sweeter. Fruit gets sweeter as it matures--I assume the calorie count goes up accordingly?
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Do frozen blueberries have less calories? Just kidding, I am not worried about blueberries. It's the chocolate and cake that makes me fat
    So if someone is worried that heated blueberries have more calories and wants to calculate each and last of these calories... is it the same like me when I feel cheated when I eat corn?
    I mean, I record 100 g of corn but still see a large amount of undigested corn later on at the other end of the digestive process. Should I subtracts those kernels from the overall weight? It's just fair I think :D

Just to be accurate
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    How on earth can simply heating something up add calories? Where do they come from? Do the blueberries absorb microwave energy somehow and turn it into calories? Interesting. Does this apply to all food? Because I use my microwave a lot.

Above linked article from Discover magazine explains it, FWIW. I don't think I will be worrying too much about it, but it was a very interesting read, I thought.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    So if I have 10 grams of carbohydrates in the form of raw blueberries (40 calories) and I heat them from 20C to 30C (10 grams x .001 x 10C = 1 calorie), you're saying I now have 11 calories in my food.
    Do I now have 10.25 grams of carbohydrates (the heat magically created another quarter gram of carbs) or are you saying that hot carbs have more calories than cold carbs?

Also, do I have to eat them while their still hot to get the extra calories? Do the extra calories go away when the food cools back off or do they stay? What if I eat 110F blueberries but my stomach acid cools them back down to 98.6F before they have a chance to digest? What if I eat 70F blueberries but my stomach acid warms them to 98.6F?

Should I only eat cold soup when cutting because the hot soup has more calories?

Do we need "hot" and "cold" entries in MFP?

If heating adds calories, does freezing reduce them? Can I get ice cream cold enough to make it virtually calorie free?

What if "because Yarwell said so" isn't sufficient evidence for the validity of a silly claim that a microwave can add calories to your food?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How do you account for blowing on your food? And do we need to be taking the temperature of each bite before consuming? What about the loss in temperature while the chewing process occurs? Isn't all food body temperature by the time it reaches the digestive tract?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO CALCULATE CALORIES NOW?!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    How do you account for blowing on your food? And do we need to be taking the temperature of each bite before consuming? What about the loss in temperature while the chewing process occurs? Isn't all food body temperature by the time it reaches the digestive tract?

Need a food scale AND a thermometer.

Or eat everything at room temperature, including popsicles.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

Need a food scale AND a thermometer.

Or eat everything at room temperature, including popsicles.

What if room temperature popsicles were really just Kool-Aid???

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP it's great that you want to be as accurate as possible, but there are MANY factors at play when measuring the CICO equation and when it comes down to it, all of them are really just estimates. The best you can do is try to be accurate in big ways (logging everything you eat, using a food scale, having a realistic understanding that exercise burns may be overinflated and adjust accordingly) and not sweat the minute details like if heating your blueberries in the microwave adds 1 calorie to them. Or, while they are hearing, walk one lap around your kitchen and it's a wash.

Focus on the big stuff. Don't major in the minors. Consistency is what really matters.

Good luck.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Above room temperature or whatever base temperature USDA use.

I don't know the convention in nutrition, but in Thermodynamics generally either 0 or 25 C tend to be common.
    "Atwater and Rosa (63) defined the Calorie at 20°C and noted that it was slightly larger than the 18°C unit employed by Armsby (64)." according to http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/12/2957.full

Dietary calories are kCals and they don't reflect straight bomb calorimetry numbers anyway. I fail to see why you'd then think it would be appropriate to add the numbers into determining diet, particularly as 100 grams for blueberries is not 100 grams of water, and wouldn't even contain 2 kCal worth of true heat content when heated from 20C to 40C anyway.

The implication would be that you could cure world starvation if you just gave everyone some parabolic mirrors and access to water...

Not sure if you're just 'avin' a bubble or you seriously think humans are thermotrophic.