A new beginning

Options
A new beginning! But full of fear I'll fail. Can I really do this? Anyone else ever felt this way?

Replies

• jayhd777
    jayhd777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    of course you can, look at all the people on here achieving... what makes you different.... you can achieve too...what are your goals?
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Fear of failure is normal. Failure is even normal. However, refusing to try, fail, learn along the way, and get better is inexcusable.

To paraphrase a wise proverb, "Anything worth doing well is worth doing poorly while you learn to do it well."

You have taken the first steps. You signed up for an account here. You know you need a change. Take the next steps - they are NOT hard.

1. Log everything you eat.
    2. Buy and use a food scale.
    3. Select some friends here on the site.
    4. Open your food diary to your friends.
    5. Start moving.

Why?

1. The log will allow you to compare your results to your efforts and know where to make adjustments. There is little more depressing than to know you are failing but having no idea why. Conversely, it is empowering to see the correlation between actions and results. Even if the results are less than what you want, knowing how to make corrections is very important to both your choices and your mental and emotional states.
    2. The food scale will keep you accountable and accurate in your calories consumption. It is not hard to do, and consistent use at home will make your 'guesstimates' at a restaurant or friend's house more accurate.
    3. Friends encourage you and keep you accountable. Choose wisely and don't be afraid to 'dismiss' a friend who attitudes or behaviors are inferring with your success. It is nice to receive recognition for your efforts! It is not as much fun to admit (through your log) that you messed up, but the honesty will help over the long term.
    4. An open diary - at least to friends - is an invitation to accountability and support. Your friends are your second line of defense against failure - for those occasions when your first line of defense (honesty with yourself) fails or becomes weak.
    5. There is no downside to exercise, other than the time required. While diet will move you in the right direction, exercise makes the trip faster and more pleasant.

Finally, read. Hang out on the forums. Pay attention to posters will thousands of posts. Learn about balance and sustainability in your food choices.

Don't give up. You CAN do this.

Cody
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I remember feeling the same way 7 months ago. Now I'm down 54 lbs! I will add you & we can chat!! :)
  • kateos1980
    kateos1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've dusted off the scale this morning. Literally. We can do this. It is easier with friends. :)
  • jayhd777
    jayhd777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Chenry18 wrote: »
    You can do it! I remember feeling the same way 7 months ago. Now I'm down 54 lbs! I will add you & we can chat!! :)[/qu

54lbs very well done